Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio CA-14 windscreens need replacing  (Read 1538 times)

Offline auto_pilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Church Audio CA-14 windscreens need replacing
« on: September 09, 2023, 02:58:16 PM »
After a long period of good service, the foam windscreens on my CA-14s are starting to wear down. I'm hoping I can just slip some more windscreens over the top to prevent the mics being damaged. Myriad options for foam windscreens - how do I go about ensuring that what I'm buying is what I need? They'll ideally be a nice tight fit.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Church Audio CA-14 windscreens need replacing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »
After a long period of good service, the foam windscreens on my CA-14s are starting to wear down. I'm hoping I can just slip some more windscreens over the top to prevent the mics being damaged. Myriad options for foam windscreens - how do I go about ensuring that what I'm buying is what I need? They'll ideally be a nice tight fit.

I have the older model CA11s without integrated screens but I'm under the impression that the CA14 model had the windscreens permanently attached. Maybe with glue. I have no idea why and that never made sense to me. I specifically remember Chris Church telling folks to not try to remove the screens as it would ruin the mics.

I'm curious to find out what these look like behind the windscreen. Have you removed the old screens yet?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 08:14:39 AM »

I have the older model CA11s without integrated screens but I'm under the impression that the CA14 model had the windscreens permanently attached. Maybe with glue. I have no idea why and that never made sense to me. I specifically remember Chris Church telling folks to not try to remove the screens as it would ruin the mics.

I'm curious to find out what these look like behind the windscreen. Have you removed the old screens yet?

I'm not intending removing the old screens, just looking for something to slip over the top to protect the mics now the existing foam is starting to wear through.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »

My bad. I guess my reading comprehension stopped at the title and "replacing".

I use these for my CA11s - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885689-REG/Auray_wlf_014_3_Foam_Windscreens_for_1_4.html - and they are kinda loose so they may fit over the screen on the CA14. If they didn't work at least you aren't out a lot of scratch.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Getting something to fit exactly may be a problem so slightly too small is probably the way to go.

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 02:42:19 PM »
Foam windscreens with 15mm internal diameter are a good fit over the existing foam. Slightly bulkier than the original foam. I'll haven't used them yet.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 04:56:35 PM »
Sorry for jumping in so late on this, but is the foam breaking down? If yes, isn't it likely that the foam is getting into the capsule? Since there is no actual capsule housing, the foam has a much more direct path to the diaphragm?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
The foam is still covering the mic capsule and I haven't seen any sign of pieces breaking away. It's more an ongoing gentle abrasion issue, as the mics are used.

I used the mics to record multiple artists at Supersonic Festival at the start of this month and only noticed there was a potential issue on the Sunday. I'm hoping to prevent any damage occuring rather than attempting to rectifying damage which has already occured.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com