Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR  (Read 50090 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps CMR
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
so could i use my actives with the 5 pin switchcraft(is there an adapter) or could you build one with the plug we nbox users already have?(see pic)or is that already a 5 pin mini xlr?

That looks like an amp connector.. It would be hard with out seeing the connector in my hands. So I can measure it and make sure its the same one.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
Darktrain, the disciples of the watch demand that you go stealth testament
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
Darktrain, the disciples of the watch demand that you go stealth testament

Into the pit i go :veryevil:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:58:26 PM by Darktrain »

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Here is a pic with measurement chris, its a switchcraft twist lock connector, this sounds like it would be a nice unit you are developing, you said it would be "ugly" style, could you package it in your pre box, thats pretty small, if you can make it with that connector so i can use my current active plug i will be first in line for this lighter/more compact alternative

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »
Chris, this preamp you are designing will be for the cmr cables correct? 

Sorry Nbox users, your Nbox cables will not work with this pre unless Chris plans on packing 48-60 phantom power in the ugly preamp.

Long live the 60 volt parade >:D ;D

Anyhow, if I got it right about these cmr cables, why not run them directly into a Microtracker with phantom on and have at it?  No?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »

Sorry Nbox users, your Nbox cables will not work with this pre unless Chris plans on packing 48-60 phantom power in the ugly preamp.

Anyhow, if I got it right about these cmr cables, why not run them directly into a Microtracker with phantom on and have at it?  No?

Sorry I misunderstood.. I thought that there was a new set of mics that would run on 8 volts bias? was I wrong?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »
Not a new set of microphones--it's an active cable arrangement for existing "Colette" (= CMC-series) capsules, with very low power consumption and the ability to run from relatively low DC supply voltages. It delivers a low-impedance, unbalanced signal.

Main thing is, it dispenses with the need for a microphone amplifier (body) if you connect it to suitable equipment. It was designed for use with pocket transmitters ("wireless microphones") and therefore doesn't have a terminating connector unless you order it with one, since there's no world-wide standardization in that field--each manufacturer and even each model has different plugs, pinouts and voltages.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »

Sorry I misunderstood.. I thought that there was a new set of mics that would run on 8 volts bias? was I wrong?

The CMR cables for the Schoeps will be well suited for your pre, I would guess??
 I just wanted to make it clear that the Nbox active cables will not work with your preamp unless it supplies the proper voltage to polarize the capsule.   Gotta admit these cables sound pretty intersting, must be a dc>dc converter to step up the voltage to the cap.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
maybe cause the MT preamp is lacking, and cant power a 3-wire mic?

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »
mshilarious, if electrets worked that way, you could power perpetual motion machines with them, no?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
Yinz are dorks! 

:)

(thanks!)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2008, 12:31:05 AM »
go stillirs

baldwin represent!

Yinz are dorks! 

:)

(thanks!)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
ok, so ive been playing with powering these from NADY CBM-40 phantom power supplies (the ones that come with AT943 mics)

out of the box, these are basically little transformers that provide an open-loop voltage of about 15.4V on the third pin of the mini-xlr out. when attached the the cmr bodies, they provide 10-10.5V to the mic (a little hot). with a little tweaking, they work, and they include a nice rugged casing and 90-110% of the circuitry we need, would be quicker than homebrewing a circuit

so i opened them up, and added a 3.7K resistor from the power pin to ground, which reduced the open-loop voltage to 9.5ish V. This was still a little close to the 10V spec so i also added a 1.5K resistor inline between the power lead and the mic, resulting in 4.9V to the mic (spec is 4-10V). i had these laying around,i would probably use a 500-700 ohm resistor in practice. Heres what they look like inside:

please excuse the hack soldering job, i tried a bunch of different things, and havent decided on the final version yet, your seeing the product of half a dozen hurry-up soldering jobs with a crappy 30w iron.

anyway, i wanted to post the pics, particularly for mshilarious, as im interested in the effect of what ive done here, esp in regard to just taking the resistor to ground, which creates an extra current flow. also any comments on the overall circuit design strategy and its implications/advantages/disadvantages for our use, both in terms of sonic quality and power consumption. i know the pics arent the best, but i think if we can figure out generally what the circuit is doing, i can measure resistances etc or read any cap values we need

ideally the transformer would be swapped for one that outputs 9V open loop, maybe swap a resistor or two without adding any components. although i dont know if transformers are a standard size and would fit that cutout int he board.

Also, berhnards simple powering circuit included a 1.5K resistor off a 9v (for two mics, and a 100 uF 'smoothing' capacitor as he described it between the power lead (on the mic side of the resistor and ground)

what is the purpose of this capacitor, and do i need to add this to this power supply.

i emailed bernhard last night and asked him about it, to which he replied "the CMR is not designed for being used with a phantom power. You may connect it that way at your own risk only. The high open loop voltage and the capability of high current peaks lead to a high risk for the CMR being damaged.". so i think its safe to say he's over it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:16:26 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Re: Schoeps CMR (mshilarious please enter!)
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
btw, i also did a comp of mk4>(cmr vs cmc6)>V3 close mic'ing moitors, will post it up here in the next few days.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Schoeps CMR (mshilarious please enter!)
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
NADY CBM-40 phantom power supplies (the ones that come with AT943 mics)

The AT943 comes with a Audio-Technica phantom supply (AT8533), whereas the Nady is a common, cheaper alternative.  Many folks here use the Nady as they are carried by SoundPor's and are about half the price of the AT.  I would be willing to bet the AT has a much nicer transforer and parts....  Likely a better option for such expensive mics...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com