Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox/MK4/CMR- Sarah Mclachlan Samples from 3/12/2011  (Read 69983 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Fresh off the truck, a minty new set of Schoeps CMR's, Drooling at the prospect of running this setup, All i need to do is put a 4pin mini xlr on them, make a extension cable, a breakout cable or two and Jerryfreeak is putting together the Battery Box and I'll be ready to go.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:22:43 PM by Darktrain »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Step one in the Schoeps CMR Rig - CMR's have arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
killer!!!  8)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:53 PM »
Nice! I'd love to see pics of the final setup when done!
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
See-lut! I'll bet your drooling to get those out into the field!
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Looks interesting... sounds like it's basically an Nbox though, right?

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

nbox has 20db gain which the cmrs dont. cmrs also have less sensativity but should last forever on a 9v bat whereas the nbox takes 4 9v bats and only lasts 7.5 hrs
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:03:37 PM »
Fresh off the truck, a minty new set of Schoeps CMR's

all things aside (of the technical aspects of the cmr's, like less sensitivity and no gain etc), this is my dream setup.

Please post pics of the final setup if you could please. Thanks!
:)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »

nbox has 20db gain which the cmrs dont. cmrs also have less sensativity but should last forever on a 9v bat whereas the nbox takes 4 9v bats and only lasts 7.5 hrs

correct, and thank gawd for rechargables  ;D I think I've saved AT LEAST $200 on 9V's since gettting them in August.

Looking forward to watching the progress of this project!

Good luck

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:05 PM »

Oh, correction, the CMR's now have plenty of ADJUSTABLE gain with the Littlebox, here is the near complete setup(just waiting on the "low pro" battery box for those "less than open" situations). But as you can see the CMR's plug right into the Littlebox, aand i would say the littlebox is a definately lighter than the nbox and overall takes up about the same amount of space and will run forever on the internal rechargable battery. Also in the pic you see an extension cable, and a couple breakout cables for the soon to arrive Battery Box.

Offline su6oxone

Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - Almost Complete, Modded Littlebox Back
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »
Dude, that's a cool setup... 8)

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »
Dude, that's a cool setup... 8)

Yep, very cool, and not to jinx myself but I got the feeling I will not be letting this rig go anytime soon.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
This sounds like a logical replacement, and possible upgrade over the Nbox.  Even better just build a tiny battery box and run the CMR directly into Sony M10 or Edirol R09.  That would be the smallest setup.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
Seriously.....................SSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAWWWWEEEEAAAATTTT!!!!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »
This sounds like a logical replacement, and possible upgrade over the Nbox.  Even better just build a tiny battery box and run the CMR directly into Sony M10 or Edirol R09.  That would be the smallest setup.

Richard

Jerryfreak is building me a very small battery box which i should have by the end of next week which will be very handy. And for the life of me I can't figure out why more people have not tried this setup, Both Jerryfreak and Nottingham have had fantastic results. I owned a nbox a while back and while i liked it there were 3 things that always bothered me: 1- Battery Hog, 2- Weight, 3- Fixed gain. And this setup seems to have solved all those issues in my mind. The ability to run them into the small littlebox or tiny battery box is fantastic. Now i will get  to run it in the field 5 times over the next couple weeks, both open and not so much 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:44:22 AM by Darktrain »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
And for the life of me I can't figure out why more people have not tried this setup

Just hazarding a guess:

You're trading size (smaller box) for noise (lower output sensitivity which requires more gain) and that makes some people squeamish? ("since you pay the price for caps, why not get the performance from it" line of thought)

Only other thought was that for a while, the chain was: cap > cmr box > amp which isn't nearly as attractive, and you've essentially chopped one link out of that chain. I know lutch had done that already (with the custom church pre), but I didn't follow the discussion anymore after the initial discussion.

That is slick looking though.

On an unrelated note; you have the same carpet I had in my last apt. I recognize that stuff anywhere. :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
And for the life of me I can't figure out why more people have not tried this setup

Just hazarding a guess:

You're trading size (smaller box) for noise (lower output sensitivity which requires more gain) and that makes some people squeamish? ("since you pay the price for caps, why not get the performance from it" line of thought)

Only other thought was that for a while, the chain was: cap > cmr box > amp which isn't nearly as attractive, and you've essentially chopped one link out of that chain. I know lutch had done that already (with the custom church pre), but I didn't follow the discussion anymore after the initial discussion.

On an unrelated note; you have the same carpet I had in my last apt. I recognize that stuff anywhere. :P

Yeh thats the carpet in the basement ;D  And on a unrelated note ;) the littlebit of sensitivity lost didn't bother me in the least, I honestly think it amounts to next to nothing for live music, i can see where it might be a issue for recording mosquito farts though ;D

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »

Just hazarding a guess:

I don't believe you should lose anything going directly into mic-in on a Sony or Edirol.  Those CMR are designed to output standard levels, comparable to a lav mic, or anything else you would put into a wireless transmitter.

The preamps in the Sony are quite a bit quieter than the Edirol R09 (and probably the R09HR too).  For moderate levels, either rig should be fine.

Someone should market a setup like this for AKG caps.  That is the simplest possible design, a collette with a FET and few resistors, and a 60V polarizing circuit.  Hmm.  An even simpler way to build this would be to take a USB mic and replace the capsule with an AKG CK61,2,3 (hardwire it).  I tried an Apex USB stereo mic, but it had crazy loud circuit noise.  Maybe there are some better USB mic circuits.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
I don't believe you should lose anything going directly into mic-in on a Sony or Edirol.  Those CMR are designed to output standard levels, comparable to a lav mic, or anything else you would put into a wireless transmitter.

The preamps in the Sony are quite a bit quieter than the Edirol R09 (and probably the R09HR too).  For moderate levels, either rig should be fine.

You think the mic in noise levels for the handhelds are loud enough (relatively speaking) that the recorder's noise will be encountered first?

I saw you run the akgs directly in, and they have a hot mv/pa output rating (~30 mv/pa). The delivered CMC6 body has a rating of 13 mv/pa and the CMR is down to 8. Thats an additional 12db of gain you're looking to add to match the akgs and you'd be doing it on the recorder (well, Rob's doing it on the littlebox, but my point stands if your doing a mic-in directly to the recorder).

All this is mental stimulation as:

I honestly think it amounts to next to nothing for live music, i can see where it might be a issue for recording mosquito farts though ;D

I agree, for loud live music like we typically record, this is largely second hand to functionality as the noise floor of the room will most likely trump any noise floor of the mic, amp, or recorder (or be close enough that you don't care). I wouldn't use it for nature recordings, and I'd think twice before using it with quiet acoustic music though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
Well my first run with it will be friday night with back to back cowboy junkies shows which can range from quiet to medium loud, but the littlebox has i think +32 gain so that makes up the difference of the lost 12bd(where you are locked in at +20 on the nbox, which caused some distortion in a couple loud shows). I will post some samples next week after the shows.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:35:12 PM by Darktrain »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »

The CMR's are neat..  I have thought a generic version that supports many types of caps would be great.

There are a lot of situations where having balanced cables is critical, so it's hard for me to give up my cmc6's. And I already have KC5's.   Examples: running on stage, above stage, split mics, hanging mics from the ceiling mid-floor, etc.  While I have run 4061's with absurdly long cables and had decent results, it isn't something I want to risk.

In terms of gain with schoeps or MG's, I often run 40, or 50 dB when recording unamplified material.  And even amplified, 40 or 45 is common.  55 or 60dB with classical guitar.  These are very quiet rooms, so the noise floor is a huge concern.

In another post, it was mentioned that the 20dB of the nbox is too much gain in some situations and results in distortion.  Blame the handheld recorder, not the nbox.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
...not to jinx myself but I got the feeling I will not be letting this rig go anytime soon...

:-X
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
(where you are locked in at +20 on the nbox, which caused some distortion in a couple loud shows).
Lets get the facts straight here, the Nbox doesn't cause any distortion, it was the original R-09's that were the problem on a handful of the hundreds of shows recorded with the Nbox's.

I really take offense to this sort of Nbox bashing. This is a tremendous product and a great resource for the taping community. Nicky has done a great job repairing and servicing these boxes.
I have friends in London, Oslo, Berlin and Tokyo that are using these boxes and have no problem getting them to Nicky. From my own experience, i have owned 2 different Nbox's and the only repairs
that were needed were from my rough use which caused the problems. Nothing has ever gone wrong
with the box itself.

A few more observations.....
With the use of rechargeables the battery issue is a non-issue. 7 hours on 4 rechargeables is enough time for anyone's use. About the weight.....you have to be kidding me, anyone can carry one of these attached to your body without even noticing its there.
About the gain......when i run it into my R-44 for open taping and crank the gain, the sound is clean.
Same for the low pro situations running into my R-09HR, crank the gain extremely high for those low
volume shows and the sound is very clean.

You know the CMR's have been around for a few years now and there haven't been too many recordings made with these? Why is that?
Here's a few facts, i checked a couple of places online that host shows and here's what i found:

The number is shows recorded with each device.

Live Music Archive
nbox=813
cmr=20

Dimeadozen
nbox= 240
cmr=0

Traders Den
nbox=232
cmr=0

Etree
nbox=242
cmr=0

totals
nbox=1527
cmr=20

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
I've never used the nbox, but 7 hours on (4) 9V would be an issue for me.  I record 'in the field', I am sometimes gone for weeks without regular power for recharging.  With a lemosax, I can get 20+ hours recording time with (2) ultralife batteries.  While in the field, power availability and weight (batteries/charger) become an issue.  Keep in mind, I am not talking down the nbox, I have never even used it, I am just stating that different people need different tools for the job at hand.  The nbox might be the right tool for some people, the lemosax 'was' the right tool for me, and the CMR set might be best for others.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
(where you are locked in at +20 on the nbox, which caused some distortion in a couple loud shows).
Lets get the facts straight here, the Nbox doesn't cause any distortion, it was the original R-09's that were the problem on a handful of the hundreds of shows recorded with the Nbox's.

I really take offense to this sort of Nbox bashing. This is a tremendous product and a great resource for the taping community. Nicky has done a great job repairing and servicing these boxes.
I have friends in London, Oslo, Berlin and Tokyo that are using these boxes and have no problem getting them to Nicky. From my own experience, i have owned 2 different Nbox's and the only repairs
that were needed were from my rough use which caused the problems. Nothing has ever gone wrong
with the box itself.

A few more observations.....
With the use of rechargeables the battery issue is a non-issue. 7 hours on 4 rechargeables is enough time for anyone's use. About the weight.....you have to be kidding me, anyone can carry one of these attached to your body without even noticing its there.
About the gain......when i run it into my R-44 for open taping and crank the gain, the sound is clean.
Same for the low pro situations running into my R-09HR, crank the gain extremely high for those low
volume shows and the sound is very clean.

You know the CMR's have been around for a few years now and there haven't been too many recordings made with these? Why is that?
Here's a few facts, i checked a couple of places online that host shows and here's what i found:

The number is shows recorded with each device.

Live Music Archive
nbox=813
cmr=20

Dimeadozen
nbox= 240
cmr=0

Traders Den
nbox=232
cmr=0

Etree
nbox=242
cmr=0

totals
nbox=1527
cmr=20

Definately not meant to bash the nbox because my best recording ever was with one, I was just stating personally what issues i had with it thats all, i encountered distortion in a couple loud shows into the pmd620 because the +20 was just to hot for it. So i always wanted something that could be "more flexible", sorry if you got offended Edtyre, wasn't meant that way at all.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Definately not meant to bash the nbox because my best recording ever was with one

and you will likely be hard pressed to make another recording like it :P

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »

Definately not meant to bash the nbox because my best recording ever was with one

and you will likely be hard pressed to make another recording like it :P

It will be very interesting friday because i am seeing the same band in the same venue i did that recording in so this will be a very nice comparison

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
Looks great! That is definitely a sweet setup. Sounds like the littlebox should solve your problems.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - First Run last night 3/19 - SWEEEEEEEEET
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
So, had the maiden voyage last night with the cmr's and littlebox, I ran the first show with the MK4's and the second with the MK41's, had the Sony M10 set to 5-6 and the litttlebox was dialed in around 1-2 so still had plenty of gain to work with but i ran conservative. Got to say both sets sound very nice and clean, This show only confirmed what i thought, this is a killer setup and capable of recording pretty quiet stuff which the Junkies play at times so there will be no worries from me if i have enough gain. This setup is here to stay. I will try to get some samples posted today or tomorrow. I think with the option now of custom made pre that is not only inexpensive but sounds fantastic that the CMR's will start to get a little more attention.

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
Nice work Robb.  I'm seeing the Junkies on 4/15.

I'm suprised you're unloading the 4's considering you're rocking the new setup.  Love those caps, especially up close.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:03:56 PM by lastubbe »
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 08:30:35 PM »
Got to say both sets sound very nice and clean

Hope you upload both sets to LMA... would love to check them out.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »
Got to say both sets sound very nice and clean

Hope you upload both sets to LMA... would love to check them out.

My first LMA upload(although other people have upped a few of my shows), let me know if i need to change anything

http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.cj2010-03-19.10pm.flac
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:15:47 PM by Darktrain »

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »
Alright...  I thought I knew what these were about, but now am unsure.  What's the benefit...  low power consumption?  Doesn't need phantom?  Battery box instead?? 

They look like the same size as CCM's.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »
Alright...  I thought I knew what these were about, but now am unsure.  What's the benefit...  low power consumption?  Doesn't need phantom?  Battery box instead?? 

They look like the same size as CCM's.

Low voltage/battery power of standard capsules.

There is a polarization circuit right in the socket.  Powers with low current, so you can run it with standard wireless pack power (five volts or more, I believe), or, in our case with a simple battery box.

I must say, this company is certainly on top of things.  They've figured out exactly what people want.

Richard

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »
They've figured out exactly what people want.

Love the Schoeps, and the CMR has its place.  And, a battery pack is a good work around to make it more versatile.  But, they haven't figured out exactly what I want:

A cross between the CCM, MK, and CMR concepts.
Basically a CCM style body with removable caps, can you imagine that?  To me, that would be the dream schoeps product.
Should be easy enough to do...anyhow, just dreaming :)

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
They've figured out exactly what people want.

Love the Schoeps, and the CMR has its place.  And, a battery pack is a good work around to make it more versatile.  But, they haven't figured out exactly what I want:

A cross between the CCM, MK, and CMR concepts.
Basically a CCM style body with removable caps, can you imagine that?  To me, that would be the dream schoeps product.
Should be easy enough to do...anyhow, just dreaming :)

the cmr is pretty much a ccm with removable caps and i ran it through the littlebox, doesn't that fit the bill?

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
Nope, the CMR needs power from a low voltage source like a battery box, preamp or wireless transmitter while the CCM is phantom powered and can plug straight into a device with phantom power.  I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired.  Perhaps someone can make a phantom powered adapter for the CMR that would not require an outboard pre or a battery box?  This would be close, but not as streamlined as the ideal concept in my mind...

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired. 

Yeah me too...

Basically a CCM that would run off of plug-in power of a small recorder like the R-09HR or PCM-M10 so that you could run CCM directly into a small recorder (and switchable caps would be icing on the cake)... I guess if there were small recorders that provided more plug-in power that would be enough to bypass the battery box in Darktrain's CMR setup. 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
mshilarious, Schoeps' capsules are designed for 60-Volt polarization, not 48. So are all the capsules that Neumann uses nowadays. 48 Volts was never chosen as some ideal polarization voltage; it was simply what was available from an auxiliary lighting system belonging to a particular Scandinavian broadcasting organization that Neumann wanted to sell microphones to at one point in the 1960s. They designed the KM 84 arrangement as a one-off demo for that customer, who then placed a firm order for several dozen microphones--and that's how 48 Volts got started in the microphone world. But the capsule that Neumann used in the KM 84 had originally been designed for the KM 64, where it had been polarized at 60 Volts (i.e. 1/2 the standard plate voltage for an AC 701 vacuum tube, via a 1:2 voltage divider).

Actually, by that time phantom powering for condenser microphones had already been in use for a couple of years, mostly at the French radio with various 12-Volt implementations (one with the positive pole grounded, the other with the negative pole grounded as it would be today). Since those designs used DC converters anyway, they stepped the incoming voltage up to 60 Volts and got the full dynamic range performance from the capsules.

Schoeps' "Colette" (CMC) and CCM series microphones all polarize the capsules at 60 Volts whether the incoming phantom supply is at 12 Volts or 48; this is done with a DC converter. When you consider that 4 mA per microphone is being drawn, the phantom supply resistors already drop the 48 Volts to something like 35 at the microphone--so you can see why the DC converter is necessary. The older models such as the CMT 50 series (and Neumann's "fet 80" microphones such as the KM 84 and U 87) drew less than 1 mA apiece, reducing that voltage drop enough that DC converters weren't considered strictly necessary. Besides, back then very few 48-Volt phantom power supplies could put out 2 mA per microphone reliably, let alone 4 mA.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Basically a CCM that would run off of plug-in power of a small recorder like the R-09HR or PCM-M10 so that you could run CCM directly into a small recorder (and switchable caps would be icing on the cake)... I guess if there were small recorders that provided more plug-in power that would be enough to bypass the battery box in Darktrain's CMR setup.

You can run CCMs into many small recorders...all is takes is phantom power.  You can have that as there are plenty of small recorders with phantom power available.  I just want to swap the caps out too :)
Because at $2000-$2500 a CCM and slim pickings in the used market, a palette of patterns will get insanely expensive fast.  All they got to do is make something like the CMR that runs on phantom power...that shouldn't be so hard considering they have made CCM bodies and the CMR.  I think the know how is there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:13:43 PM by midside »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired. 

Yeah me too...

There is no bb when running into the littlebox so like any other mics, they plug right into the pre and in "less than open" situations just a bb and recorder, it seems people think you have to have abb but you don't use it with the pre

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

Yeah me too...

There is no bb when running into the littlebox so like any other mics, they plug right into the pre and in "less than open" situations just a bb and recorder, it seems people think you have to have abb but you don't use it with the pre

Yes, I completely understand...always have.
But, I don't want to use an extra outboard pre, that is the key piece of information.  I just want to go straight in.  You have a great setup, I just want something different from schoeps.  And, trust me, if it was made, I think A LOT of people would want it...including you :)

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

True, I just mentioned a batt box since it would be smaller than a pre, so that the smallest configuration you can run would be caps > CMR > batt box (or a larger pre) > recorder.

You can run CCMs into many small recorders...all is takes is phantom power.  You can have that as there are plenty of small recorders with phantom power available.  I just want to swap the caps out too :)

I see, basically you want a CCM with interchangeable caps, which would awesome.  But I also would like the ability to run directly into a smaller recorder that doesn't supply P48 as even the smallest all-in-one boxes (FR2LE, 660/661) are significantly larger than non-phantom providing recorders (R-09HR, M10).  Although I guess the problem with this (and the CMR) is that it would be unbalanced, but that shouldn't be a big issue when running 15' should it? 

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »

Yeah me too...

Yes, I completely understand...always have.
But, I don't want to use an extra outboard pre, that is the key piece of information.  I just want to go straight in.  You have a great setup, I just want something different from schoeps.  And, trust me, if it was made, I think A LOT of people would want it...including you :)

well it does say it will operate on 4-10v so i guess i am wondering why it couldn't go straight into say a marantz pmd 620 which provides 5v? Maybe Dsatz can clarify this

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
[quotewell it does say it will operate on 4-10v so i guess i am wondering why it couldn't go straight into say a marantz pmd 620 which provides 5v? Maybe Dsatz can clarify this
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm wondering if you could just use an XLR phantom power > 9 volt adapter, like the AT & DPA barrels, then just run straight into any of the 48V phantom recorders?!?

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
If you remove the mics, I think there is sufficient room in the r09/hr to install a 6v battery (and the necessary minor tweaks) to power these (or 406x) directly.  I suggested this a couple of years ago, but I'm not aware that anyone has done it.

So..  Just to be clear, is the CMR polarization voltage 48v or 60v?

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 02:04:26 PM »
So is Robb's Littlebox powering these with 12V then?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
So is Robb's Littlebox powering these with 12V then?

They run on the 9v rail which also supplies the 1/8 in, thats what Jon told me from Naiant

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

True, I just mentioned a batt box since it would be smaller than a pre, so that the smallest configuration you can run would be caps > CMR > batt box (or a larger pre) > recorder.

I see, basically you want a CCM with interchangeable caps, which would awesome.  But I also would like the ability to run directly into a smaller recorder that doesn't supply P48 as even the smallest all-in-one boxes (FR2LE, 660/661) are significantly larger than non-phantom providing recorders (R-09HR, M10).  Although I guess the problem with this (and the CMR) is that it would be unbalanced, but that shouldn't be a big issue when running 15' should it?

I agree, the simplest setup is:
   Caps > CMR > bbox > flash recorder

For loud shows, Edirol is fine.  For quieter shows, Sony PCM-M10.

This is the smallest setup, and it would sound great.  I really see no need to have a littlebox (or any other pre) in there.  The mic inputs on the Edirol and Sony are both excellent sounding.  And if you need a quiet input, the M10 is hard to beat.  So, there is no point putting an extra pre in there.  It does not add anything, and could (potentially) distort if you brickwall, or if the battery goes low, or ...

Nothing against the littlebox.  If I needed to power (P48) mics or if I needed more gain, I would certainly use this box.

Richard

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
I really see no need to have a littlebox (or any other pre) in there.  The mic inputs on the Edirol and Sony are both excellent sounding.  And if you need a quiet input, the M10 is hard to beat.  So, there is no point putting an extra pre in there.

I think that assumes too much; it needs to be confirmed with a comp.  The above paragraph implies multiple scenarios:

1. That the M10 sounds as good as other a/d devices when run behind a great pre-amp.

That the M10 is quiet is great, but that is not the same as "excellent sounding".  The 7xx a/d is "excellent sounding".  Is the m10 *that* good?  That would be a nice surprise, but I would not assume so.

Does the r09 a/d sound as good as the 7xx a/d?  Having owned and compared both against each other, and against the v3's internal a/d, I'd say no.  It sounds good, probably even "very good".  Does the m10 sound as good as the r09 when used as an a/d behind a great pre-amp?  How about the 7xx?  I'd really like to know.

What happens when you turn the m10 down to the lowest gain setting, so it can take a hotter signal?  Signal levels like you might get from a psp2, or a v3 simultaneously recording to the internal a/d.  Does the m10 distort?  How does it sound subjectively?

2. That the internal gain from "mic input" (m10 or r09) is as good as an external pre.

It would be interesting to hear how internal gain from either unit compares to our favorite external pre-amps.   My experience (and preferences) have shown time and again that the 7xx sounds better with an external pre-amp.   So I'd be very pleasantly surprised if any of the sub $300 handholds does better.

Surely by now someone has a v3+bitbucket, an M10, and an itch to test?

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »

I'd also like to know the answer to this. I've always assumed 48V but never seen it documented anywhere.

Also, I thought the CMR required 9V for some reason. There is someone on this board who uses the CMRs with an Oade bat box into a 620. If they worked with 5V, I don't think they would have needed that with the 620. They could probably answer that question.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »

I'd also like to know the answer to this. I've always assumed 48V but never seen it documented anywhere.

Also, I thought the CMR required 9V for some reason. There is someone on this board who uses the CMRs with an Oade bat box into a 620. If they worked with 5V, I don't think they would have needed that with the 620. They could probably answer that question.

Nottingham has that setup, the bb was made by oade and i asked why not run them straight into the 620 as well, seems like it would work but he said it couldn't, thats why earlier i asked if Dsatz could chime in and let us know if it was possible.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »

Nottingham has that setup, the bb was made by oade and i asked why not run them straight into the 620 as well, seems like it would work but he said it couldn't, thats why earlier i asked if Dsatz could chime in and let us know if it was possible.

Thanks that's who I was thinking of. BTW how do you setup? Clips on a Vark bar or do you use a Kwon bar?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »

Thanks that's who I was thinking of. BTW how do you setup? Clips on a Vark bar or do you use a Kwon bar?

My cmr's came with sgc clips and to my version of the vark i sold a while back

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
Aside from the Schoeps price level, what are the key points to decide for this type of setup?
I.e.. how -in what way- and how much better would it sound than a set of MM-HLSC-1's? Or the Sennheiser counterpart?
Also, w.r.t. usability: what type of clips facilitate body-worn setups? (don't mention stxxlth yet)
Doesn't the size of the MK4x+CMR setup impede usability?
If you think info is too sensitive you may PM me.

PS:

If you remove the mics, I think there is sufficient room in the r09/hr to install a 6v battery (and the necessary minor tweaks) to power these (or 406x) directly.  I suggested this a couple of years ago, but I'm not aware that anyone has done it.
Hmm. Interesting proposal, also in general.
So there's no howto online for this?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:04:26 PM by udovdh »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - COMPLETE 4/14 - LOW PRO BB JUST IN
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
ok, the cmr setup is now complete, i just got the bb in from Jon(Naiant), not only is it small but it has a built in rechargable lith ion which was his idea, will run the cmr's forever, IMO this is the perfect "not so open" setup which will get a run tomorrow night, just take a look-

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Wow... I so want your setup.  :P

I like the CCM > recorder setup but it is definitely bulkier due to the size of all-in-one units (not to mention the inability to switch caps).   

Well done!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
 :clapping:

That's about the best stealth rig you could ask for.

Very nicely done.   

Edit: Sony finally got away from their proprietary cards?  Awesome!
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Very nice Robb!!     :coolguy:

I'm not going to abandon the potential Gefell N-box, but you've got me thinking about the low pro schoeps option for once...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:55:58 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
Mmmmm....sexy!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
Wow, I can't believe I am about to say this....but this almost makes me want to get some schoeps........  I am sure I am just suffering from shiny new penny syndrome, but wow that is a slick looking rig.  You can't beat the size factor/quality ratio with this set up....  wonder if something lyke this could be done with mbho stuff?
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »
Wow that Jackie Green Show sounds fantastic....could you give a little more knowledge as to mic placement....how far from stage, how high etc etc....

I have been jamming to this all morning..

Thanks for posting...Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42:23 PM »
Wow that Jackie Green Show sounds fantastic....could you give a little more knowledge as to mic placement....how far from stage, how high etc etc....

Thank you.
DINa, Dead Center 25 feet from the stage at the back edge of the dance floor 10 feet high. THE INPACT ZONE............ >:D

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »

Thank you.
DINa, Dead Center 25 feet from the stage at the back edge of the dance floor 10 feet high. THE INPACT ZONE............ >:D

I am not a huge schoeps fan.... But I have to admit that is a real fine recording......  I wonder if the CMR's change the sound in any manner compared to the cmc bodies?  or did the moon and stars just align perfectly this night.... I know so much comes into play outside the mics. 

Thanks for the info....OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline willndmb

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
WOW thats nice
so did you go the bb route vs little box for size and/or power?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2010, 12:22:31 AM »
WOW thats nice
so did you go the bb route vs little box for size and/or power?

Both, the bb is for "not so open" situations like tonight's Elton John Show and the littlebox for open situations and quieter stuff where i may need a little more gain

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
damn.. thats slick.. well done robb! talk about sexy

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »
Sample from last night using mk41/cmr> bb> M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2010, 03:05:12 PM »
thats some nice work. im guessing from the pics its about twice the size of the 9V box im using. whats the capacity of the battery?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »
thats some nice work. im guessing from the pics its about twice the size of the 9V box im using. whats the capacity of the battery?

I think its about the same size 3.2 x 2.1 x .09 and  Jon at Naiant said was it will run the cmrs for a very long time

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - Sample From Elton John 4/15 added
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »
Sounds nice wecome aboard the cmr train ;D

sell me your 41's ;D

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
Sounds nice wecome aboard the cmr train ;D

sell me your 41's ;D

Nope, I think the 41's are here to stay

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Hi!

This rig seems great... Is there any technical reason recordings made with this rig would have lower quality than with an nbox rig?

What kind of schoeps cmr's would be the right ones? just the plain ones? (I saw they had some particular others too)

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi!

This rig seems great... Is there any technical reason recordings made with this rig would have lower quality than with an nbox rig?

What kind of schoeps cmr's would be the right ones? just the plain ones? (I saw they had some particular others too)

-Colargol

there is only one cmr, but they offer a couple different cable lengths and you put your own connector on(they are a 3 wire setup) and i had the bb custom made as well as the littlebox pre to power them depending on situation, there is a -12bd loss of sensativity but that isn't a issue which recording live music especially loud stuff

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »

I don't think it was ever clarified whether the CMR polarizes the capsule at the full 60 volts, like a schoeps body or nbox.  The lemosax only polarizes to 48v.   If not, then that would be a "technical reason".

stevetoney

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
Hi!

-Colargol

It's fairly clear that there are two distinct and different trains of thought about the CMR setup.  One is based on the technical side of the discussion, the other is based on the sound results.

On the one hand, people are discussing the merits of higher voltage to the capsules and, it seems that those are technical discussions which have validity to people that are into the technical aspects of the setup.

On the other hand, people that are simply assessing the setup based on the sound output seem to have a hard time conclusively showing that the sound is better with one rig or another. 

In the end, I think the answer of which is better is dependent upon how each individual person assesses their recording goals.  If your concern is with the output sound, you might reach an entirely different conclusion than if your focus is only from the technical side of this discussion.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
I think the idea is that the Nbox and the CMRs (with littlebox setup) cost roughly the same. Nobody has done a head to head comparison. The CMRs sound good. Whether they sound better, the same as or worse than other schoeps setups including the Nbox is a question that is difficult to answer. The only way to compare them right now is by the published specs. The CMRs have lower sensitivity. When combined with a capsule they are longer than a similar setup with an Nbox or KCx schoeps cable and would not produce the same result if placed into the standard Kwon type bars.

The dilemma of which to buy is the same that I faced a little over a year ago. A proper comparison would be the only way to put to rest some of these questions. I have an MK41>Nbox>M10 rig, but don't get to Chicago very often. At some point however I'd like to set up a good comparison with Darktrain.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
For me coupling the cmrs with the battery box is the real difference, its a whole lot smaller and lighter than a littlebox or nbox to use "not so open" which is what most of my shows are, i had a nbox and it sounded great but the real reason i went cmr was that tiny battery box for sure and so far the results have not disapointed, i mean a sony m10 and the bb is about as small a profile as you can get, and the little extra length on the cmr is not a issue at all and i mount them exactly like i did the regular schoeps cables

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »

Not trying to hijack your thread Robb but this may be of interest to some here:

No affiliation

Schoeps MK41 Nickel Hypercardioid

Schoeps MK41 Capsule in Nickel. Superb condition

$650.00 - Buy It Now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220594903797&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
Actually, a CCM setup straight into a recorder with phantom power is much smaller that using a CMR/BB rig.....

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
Actually, a CCM setup straight into a recorder with phantom power is much smaller that using a CMR/BB rig.....

Full size XLR’s are larger then my BB. Also I can change caps without spending another 3000.00.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:28:28 PM by nottingham »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

Not sure why you would make such a claim, I guess just trying to piss on the CMR parade ;D If your refering to using a Zoom product with phantom then thats not a fair comparison either since know one really does that much fo live"loud" music with good results and the regular xlr do take up a lot of space. It woud esentially take up the same space if not more than the m10/bb combo. The bb measures 3.2 X 2.1 x .9, thats pretty dam small, couple that with the M10 and then the mini xlrs and thats "TIGHT" and like nottingham said the cmr's are capable of changing caps, not sure why people are hesitant on these but seems the message is getting out, i have had 3 people inquiry with me who are really serious about going this route. IMO, you can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:22:59 PM by Darktrain »

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »
Hey there,

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
Your setup is slick.  Your setup is beautiful.  I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

Actually, I have suggested a rig like yours to others and think that it is a great option.
I have not problems with it whatsoever.
Actually, a couple years ago when the CMRs first came out, I looked into them extensively and weighed them as a viable option.

There are just a coupe things. First of all, I was responding to this comment:
"...i mean a sony m10 and the bb is about as small a profile as you can get..."

Yes, you are correct, but the key word is ABOUT.
I am not incredibly versed with all the options of the small recorders on the market, but I do know that there are some options out there that are very small, sound good and have phantom power.  In addition, not all of them have full sized XLR ins.

The miniR82, is just a tad bigger than the Sony and is an all in one solution for phantom powered mics.

Here's a couple photos with full bodies:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/49218d1201105571-post-pictures-your-portable-recording-equipment-minir82-p2.jpg
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/49217d1201105372-post-pictures-your-portable-recording-equipment-minir82.jpg

But, you can easily run CCMs, they do not need to have XLRs.
Sure, we can debate the price factor and we can also say that you cannot swap caps...true to both.
But, someone else may be able to help out here, I'm sure there is another recorder out there that will run CCMs just fine for much less money.  In addition, my response was not about the most versatile system or the most economical solution.  I was just saying that the CMR/BB combo is not the simplest and smallest way to do it....that's all.

Now, back to my biggest issue.
Why on earth has Schoeps not made a product just like the CMR, but able to be powered by phantom?  That would be killer.  All the benefits of the MK actives, CMR and CCM, all in one.  Basically, a plug and play, interchangeable compact MK compatible system.  That would be ideal...who can deny that?

Nevertheless, congratulations on the sweet rig, it is pretty!

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2010, 01:34:32 AM »
(cut)
Why on earth has Schoeps not made a product just like the CMR, but able to be powered by phantom?  That would be killer.  All the benefits of the MK actives, CMR and CCM, all in one.  Basically, a plug and play, interchangeable compact MK compatible system.  That would be ideal...who can deny that?

Any phantom adapter would work, something like DPA or a homebuilt unit.  Just need to reduce 48V to 5V or so for the CMRs.

I still think it is better to run all low voltage if possible.  Stepping the voltage up to 48V and back down to power the CMRs does not make sense, just burns battery power.  I would only do this if I wanted to run a long cable.  That is, run 50 or 100' of standard mic cable, then a phantom adapter, then 5 or 6' of wire to a CMR.  But for what we do, especially stealth, the CMRs seem ideal.

Richard

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2010, 01:40:16 AM »
Golly, perhaps I didn't explain this well enough....

I am talking about something like a CCM, Schoeps line of compact microphones that run off phantom power.
But, with removable capsules, like the CMR or active cables.

I am not talking about a CMR with a power adapter to set down the phantom.

The product I am speaking of would be powering exactly the same way as a CCM or CMC and the capsules would be interchangeable.

This 'ideal' product is a concept, it does not exist....it should!

But, that's just my opinion :)

(just imagine CCM microphones with removable caps, this is not the same as a CMR with a phantom power set down circuit)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:42:31 AM by midside »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
Hey there,

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
Your setup is slick.  Your setup is beautiful.  I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

Actually, I have suggested a rig like yours to others and think that it is a great option.
I have not problems with it whatsoever.
Actually, a couple years ago when the CMRs first came out, I looked into them extensively and weighed them as a viable option.

There are just a coupe things. First of all, I was responding to this comment:
"...i mean a sony m10 and the bb is about as small a profile as you can get..."

Yes, you are correct, but the key word is ABOUT.
I am not incredibly versed with all the options of the small recorders on the market, but I do know that there are some options out there that are very small, sound good and have phantom power.  In addition, not all of them have full sized XLR ins.

The miniR82, is just a tad bigger than the Sony and is an all in one solution for phantom powered mics.

Here's a couple photos with full bodies:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/49218d1201105571-post-pictures-your-portable-recording-equipment-minir82-p2.jpg
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/49217d1201105372-post-pictures-your-portable-recording-equipment-minir82.jpg

But, you can easily run CCMs, they do not need to have XLRs.
Sure, we can debate the price factor and we can also say that you cannot swap caps...true to both.
But, someone else may be able to help out here, I'm sure there is another recorder out there that will run CCMs just fine for much less money.  In addition, my response was not about the most versatile system or the most economical solution.  I was just saying that the CMR/BB combo is not the simplest and smallest way to do it....that's all.

Nevertheless, congratulations on the sweet rig, it is pretty!

Thanks for the cudos, I don't know if i would throw a 5k recorder into the mix though, thats not so simple :P

Offline chronictonicbear

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
one could hack the end off of the full size xlr on a ccm & terminate with a ta3, then make a ta3>stubbie xlr to plug into the tascam handheld recorder with phantom, which i hear sounds good, but crappy battery life (of course that could change with a new model) or some recorders supply phantom via trs connectors whcih could be wired correctly

of course the cmbi option allows cap swapping & you can plug in to any small handheld recorder, even comes with the cables needed. the bodies are smaller tha cmc however they are a lil awkward on a low pro situation. i owned a pair for many years & had great results with them

i've wanted (& have been waiting for) an interchangable ccm option for more than 15+ years, still nothing...... so sadly i don't think they are in a hurry

for many things i record i often prefer having the full functionality (better sensitivity & noise floor) of the schoeps bodies & active series those are the main reasons which have steered me away from using the cmr set up. from day to day i may record a bird, the human voice, acoustic music, or shove a mic in front of an amp turned up to 11 so having the flexibility of mics that can perform those tasks are what i usually have in mind

however i've always has a side of me that wanted to use a cmr set up with my wireless but couldn't justify spending the money to occasionally put it to use, now with all this talk and new devices from naiant maybe i can justify the purchase ...... something like this for me would just be for fun, but shouldn't everything for fun ....

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »
So what is the damage ($$) for the CMR>bb ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:26:28 AM by Dkrogh »
AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
So what is the damage ($$) for the CMR>bb ?

For a set of 2 cables  its about 1100.00 and for a bb that could run anywhere from 50-250 just depends on who does it or if you make one yourself

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

I don't think it was ever clarified whether the CMR polarizes the capsule at the full 60 volts, like a schoeps body or nbox.  The lemosax only polarizes to 48v.   If not, then that would be a "technical reason".

Specifications for the CMR Microphone Amplifier: from here: http://www.schoeps.de/PDFs/Schoeps-CMR.pdf
Operating voltage: 4 - 10 Volts DC
Current requirement: ca. 1 mA
Dynamic range: essentially the same as with a standard CMC microphone amplifier. For example with the
MK 4 cardioid, the sensitivity is 13 mV/Pa, the maximum sound pressure is 132 dB SPL and
the equivalent input noise is 24 dB CCIR** or 15 dB A-weighted*.
Frequency response: The frequency response characteristic will be that of the capsule which is chosen.

Maximum output voltage: 900 mV with 20 kOhm load impedance (ca. -1 dBV)
560 mV with 2 kOhm load impedance (ca. -5 dBV)
Output impedance: 15 Ohms at 1 kHz
Length: 8 mm (not counting rubber cable bushing and capsule)
Diameter: 20 mm
Weight, without cable or capsule: 25 g (0.88 oz.)
Length of the output cable: as determined by customer at time of order
Diameter of the output cable : 3 mm
Output connector: determined by customer at time of order, to fit the equipment with which the

Specifications for Complete Microphones: MK -- Capsules with CMC 6 Microphone Amplifier
MK 4 cardioid 40 Hz – 20 kHz* 13 mV/Pa 24 dB 15 dB 79 dB 132 dB

from here: http://www.schoeps.de/documents/Schoeps-Manual_CMC_MK_E_11-2009.pdf

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:24:29 PM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:51 PM »
I emailed someone at schoeps a bit over a year ago about the discrepancy between the 2 published sensitivities and the explanation was that when the CMRs were prototyped, the sensitivity was the same so they published that information. After development, it was not possible to build them to have the same sensitivity as the CMC6, so the newer brochure was printed with the correct information. There is a 40% loss in sensitivity between the CMR and the CMC6, but the difference in actual use may be negligible depending on the application.

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
Is there any comps between the CMR > little box/tinybox setup and the nbox or cmc bodies yet?

I'd be interested in hearing them as I'm sure others would be too if they haven't been done yet.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Is there any comps between the CMR > little box/tinybox setup and the nbox or cmc bodies yet?

I'd be interested in hearing them as I'm sure others would be too if they haven't been done yet.

here are some shows i did recently and there is a elton john sample back in the thread a page or so done with the bb

http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.10pm
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.7pm
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-23.flac
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-25.flac

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »

here are some shows i did recently and there is a elton john sample back in the thread a page or so done with the bb

http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.10pm
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.7pm
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-23.flac
http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-25.flac

Thanks!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
I just went back and looked at my email correspondence with Schoeps, because this all rang a bell with me. In January, 2008 I noticed the same discrepancy and raised a question about it.

Apparently an internal misunderstanding had led to the release of some projected specifications, while my contact there (the engineer in charge of their publications) was apparently under the impression that he'd been given actual, measured results. (Those came only a little later.) It was a mistake, in other words. The specifications on the Web site now should be the correct ones. By that I mean the ones on the HTML Web pages themselves, not in any downloadable PDFs.

However, the sensitivity was never intended to be the same as that which you would get with a CMC 6-- amplifier. The email correspondence reveals that another mistake occurred: My friend had clipboarded the CMC 6-- specifications into the new material for the CMR as a starting point, and at one point had simply failed to overwrite the CMC 6's sensitivity specification with the CMR's. So, Murphy strikes again.

Please note that the CMR circuit is optimized for minimum power consumption, so the dynamic range shouldn't be compared with that of the CMC 6-- amplifier in the expectation that they'll line up exactly. You can't get something for nothing in physics; you can get better dynamic range when you aren't on a super-tight current budget in an amplifier circuit. Thus the equivalent noise of the (much lower-current) CMR circuit is a little higher than that of the CMC 6-- amplifier, and not only as a function of the capsule polarization voltage.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:25:37 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
I would expect Schoeps designed these correctly, to get full dynamic range out of the capsules.  If I had to guess, I'd say the lower sensitivity is due to the (balanced) line driver on the CMC vs the unbalanced output of the CMR.  The other reason for lower sensitivity could be to make them suitable for input to wireless packs.  Anyway, these seem like they would be perfect for taper use, especially body worn or very small rigs clamped to a pole or ceiling.  If you're going for a cable longer run, just get regular XLR cable and some phantom adapters to run the CMR.

Richard

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »
So what are the 'brains' behind the CMR cable and connector.  Is it the connector, or is it the cable.  What I mean by this is if a person was to purchase the connector and the cabling separately what would be the 'parts'.

Could a person purchase the same connector as is used for the nbox or is this connector different.
Could a person use different wires to mimic those used on the cmr's when purchased from schoeps, if so are there specs to be complied with?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
So what are the 'brains' behind the CMR cable and connector.  Is it the connector, or is it the cable.  What I mean by this is if a person was to purchase the connector and the cabling separately what would be the 'parts'.

Could a person purchase the same connector as is used for the nbox or is this connector different.
Could a person use different wires to mimic those used on the cmr's when purchased from schoeps, if so are there specs to be complied with?

everything is in the connection where the cap screws on, you provide your own power supply(5-12v) and termination

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »

electronics are in the connector similar to the way CCM series is. they come from the factory either terminated or unterminated, so in this case you would order unterminated and have one of our veteran cable builders like Darktrain terminate them for you.

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
so could a person like Nick buy the connectors from schoeps and put on some of his cabling and connector and sell them for less?

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
No, the CMR’s are not just cables, they are similar to mike bodies designed for remote miking  with cables attached. The cables are not sold separately only the termination. You can get them unterminated and have Robb (Darktrain) terminate them however you please. Most of us are using 4 or 5 pin mini xlr’s with the same pin out configuration so we can mix and match gear, Little Box, tiny box, battery box, etc.

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
I think I'm being misunderstood, but possibly not.

I realize that it's not just the cables and that the only supposed way to purchase this is to buy the entire unit (cables and mk connector) and that you can have schoeps terminate them for you or you will have to terminate them yourself.  I'm referring to a way to make this setup even cheaper to people using a similar process that Nick (scheopsnbox) uses with to make his nbox setup.  He purchases the connector from schoeps, so could he purchase the cmr connector from shoeps, put on his own cabling and termination and you would then have a cmr setup hopefully cheaper than the 1100 it costs from schoeps, and maybe even have him build a Bat box and have the entire setup, hopefully cheaper than the nbox setup, and smaller too. 

Or am I just thinking like I'm suffering from an i d 10 t error.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
I think I'm being misunderstood, but possibly not.

I realize that it's not just the cables and that the only supposed way to purchase this is to buy the entire unit (cables and mk connector) and that you can have schoeps terminate them for you or you will have to terminate them yourself.  I'm referring to a way to make this setup even cheaper to people using a similar process that Nick (scheopsnbox) uses with to make his nbox setup.  He purchases the connector from schoeps, so could he purchase the cmr connector from shoeps, put on his own cabling and termination and you would then have a cmr setup hopefully cheaper than the 1100 it costs from schoeps, and maybe even have him build a Bat box and have the entire setup, hopefully cheaper than the nbox setup, and smaller too. 

Or am I just thinking like I'm suffering from an i d 10 t error.

its not going to be cheaper than the nbox setup,  and schoeps doesn't offer to buy just the cmr end that i have seen like the active cables, but thats the difference, the cables for a nbox are just cable and connector for the caps and the nbox supplies everything to the caps, the cmr is cable and connector plus the electronics in the connector end(for the caps)

Offline Dkrogh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
thanks for the clarification! 

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »
Sample from last night's Jewel show at The Vic using MK41/CMR> BB> M10(gain all the way to 10), all i did was add some gain in post

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - Current Status/Roll call
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
Just wanted to give a update on the CMR influx. First off, just got word that the first tinyboxes are shipping out next week so maybe that will influence a few more on the fence and give a current list of us here on the board(that i know off) using or in the process(I just wired one set yesterday and there is another set already on order coming to me)-

Jerryfreak(Godfather of CMR setup)
Nottingham(Disciple)
Darktrain(CMR fluffer)
Nolofishwater(the word fish is in his name-he bit ;D)
Colagrol(international believer)
Big Perm(drank the coolaid)

Now who else is gonna join this growing list, never a better time since the Schoeps prices just dropped.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
im making the move early july >:D
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
Nottingham(Disciple)
Darktrain(CMR fluffer)
Nolofishwater(the word fish is in his name-he bit )

:realhappy:

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »

Dennis - that cable set is going out today and FYI I will be on vacation(out of town July 2nd-12th) just in case you need those new cmr's wired up ;D

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

Dennis - that cable set is going out today and FYI I will be on vacation(out of town July 2nd-12th) just in case you need those new cmr's wired up ;D
thanks bud. i will hit you up after vacation. cool if i just have them shipped straight to you?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

thanks bud. i will hit you up after vacation. cool if i just have them shipped straight to you?

Yep, the last 3 sets people sent right to me and the last 2 orders have taken 2-3 weeks to ship so i am thinking no one is carrying any instock at the moment

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
^^^ Have the Mk41s and will probably pick up CMR/Tinybox/PFA to add additional flexibility to my rig...

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but Robb, the way this has to be done is, you order 2xCMR cables (from Posthorn, I assume?) and then someone (you, I assume? - or DIY, which I won't) has to wire them up for termination to the single 5-pin mini-XLR. Is that right? 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
^^^ Have the Mk41s and will probably pick up CMR/Tinybox/PFA to add additional flexibility to my rig...

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but Robb, the way this has to be done is, you order 2xCMR cables (from Posthorn, I assume?) and then someone (you, I assume? - or DIY, which I won't) has to wire them up for termination to the single 5-pin mini-XLR. Is that right?

yep you got it, Jon at naiant knows how to set you up on the tb side and i can wire it all up for you

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
I'm off to buy a new camera (momma took my Kodachrome away  :( . . . actually it just broke, second one to go . . . remember when Nikons never broke?  I had an FM2 that I'm pretty sure could have taken a bullet), so hopefully pics tomorrow :)

Oh, can't wait, I mean i have put 3 sets together for people in anticipation for the Tinybox and looks like we may have a couple more coming on board sooner than later

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »
Bring it Jon, bring it!!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
Bring it Jon, bring it!!

did tinyboxes get shipped out?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
Bring it Jon, bring it!!

did tinyboxes get shipped out?

Jon told me he thinks some might ship out on monday

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Just wanted to give a update on the CMR influx. First off, just got word that the first tinyboxes are shipping out next week so maybe that will influence a few more on the fence and give a current list of us here on the board(that i know off) using or in the process(I just wired one set yesterday and there is another set already on order coming to me)-

Nottingham(Disciple)
Darktrain(CMR fluffer)
Nolofishwater(the word fish is in his name-he bit ;D)

Now who else is gonna join this growing list, never a better time since the Schoeps prices just dropped.

YUMMMMMM... i like coolaid  >:D
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
I never considered myself as a follower but I’ll go with it.. ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »

...better'n being called a sucker.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »

...better'n being called a sucker.

here tone, here tone, come on boy, come get it  :thinking:

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
Steve you know you want toooooooooooo.

:realhappy:

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
just a small sip >:D
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »
of all people, I expected Steve to do it and change his setup to this.

He's done everything else...  ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
I would think about it, but I'm tapped out...and I really do like what I'm running right now.

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »
 I tell you, it's not normal.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »
I would think about it, but I'm tapped out...and I really do like what I'm running right now.

just sell your CMC5's

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox is IN Hand(pics)
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
OK kids, just picked it up at the post office and will run it tonight at Ween(thanks Kobi), this is the final piece to the puzzle and am pretty sure will make people "Jump", take a look at the awesome size of this box

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
Sweet sure hope mine gets here today ;D

Offline Belexes

« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
 :jawdrop:
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
:drool:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
 :o :o :o :o
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »

Yeah. To me, it definately does force bigger setups to make a better argument as far as quality:result ratio is concerned. Is the advantage of an SD722 really worth the size compare to a TB>M10? Dunno, and it depends on the situation, but the position for using a smaller setup has definately gained a weapon in the argument.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
 :hmmm:
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »

Yeah. To me, it definately does force bigger setups to make a better argument as far as quality:result ratio is concerned. Is the advantage of an SD722 really worth the size compare to a TB>M10? Dunno, and it depends on the situation, but the position for using a smaller setup has definately gained a weapon in the argument.

Can't speak for the 722, but the R-44/DR-680/SD788 still have a pretty solid argument for them if you like 4 channel. 

Otherwise, using a 722 or similarly pricey deck may represent its own kind of Kool-Aid  >:D
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Yeah. To me, it definately does force bigger setups to make a better argument as far as quality:result ratio is concerned. Is the advantage of an SD722 really worth the size compare to a TB>M10?

That's several questions...   One is M10 vs. 722.  The other is CMR's.  And yet another is TB performance and features.

One issue with the CMR is that it has no CMR.  Balanced cables are important around the stage, around dimmers, and on longer cable runs.   I've had my schoeps overload on extremely loud material... So I still have some concerns regarding how the 48v polarization voltage will impact sound quality and mic behavior.

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »
Balanced cables are important around the stage, around dimmers, and on longer cable runs
I have to admit in these situations I run the cmc6's

Offline edtyre

« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Just ordered CMR's, will be shipped next week  8)
Ordered my Tinybox from Jon a few days ago as well.

It will be interesting to comp the nbox side by side with this rig
on the same material going into the same recorder.

Size vs quality will always be debated, but when i am allowed to tape
i run schoeps caps > cmc6 > V-3 > AD2K+ > R-44 digi-in
Sometimes i run the nbox for the convenience of a smaller rig, but i know
for the highest quality i need my full rig.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
Dammit, that's sexy as hell.

Schoeps stuff always confuses me. I know this has been beaten to death elsewhere on the board, but what caps do you run with the CMRs? Does it take the Colette series caps? What's an approximate price of caps + CMRs for this setup? Damned tempting. Not that I need it, but toy lust is ever-present.  ;D  And I'm diggin' the size of the Littlebox.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline StuStu

« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
Dammit, that's sexy as hell.

Schoeps stuff always confuses me. I know this has been beaten to death elsewhere on the board, but what caps do you run with the CMRs? Does it take the Colette series caps? What's an approximate price of caps + CMRs for this setup? Damned tempting. Not that I need it, but toy lust is ever-present.  ;D  And I'm diggin' the size of the Littlebox.

Yes, you can use any Schoeps Colette series caps.

Prices: http://www.reddingaudio.com/schoeps/Schoeps%20US%20ProNet%20Price%20List%206-8-10.pdf
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
Just ordered CMR's, will be shipped next week  8)
Ordered my Tinybox from Jon a few days ago as well.

It will be interesting to comp the nbox side by side with this rig
on the same material going into the same recorder.

^
Looking forward to hearing the comp Ed!

Looks great Jon & Robb!!

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox is IN Hand - First show up on LMA now
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »
ok, ran the maiden Tinybox show last night for Ween(big thanks to Kobi(liveween) for the hookup), not going to be the greatest recording due to the fact that its the Aragon and we were pretty much forced to run FOB, but none the less you have to start somewhere and there were 4 other setups ran so hopefully those get upped so we can see some comps. also just a couple rig pics for fun.

http://www.archive.org/details/ween2010-06-25.mk41.flac&reCache=1

Kobi's Earthworks and Berliners and my MK41/CMR's

Kobi and My bags

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:32:33 PM by Darktrain »

Offline StuStu

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »
The size comparison between the contents of the 2 rig bags says a lot. That's nice and small.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
would the only reason FOB would be a problem be the mk41's?
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:18 PM »
a

na, it sounded bad in there, they got it dialed in a bit after a few songs but that venue has a sweet spot the size of a gnats ass and FOB ain't it ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »
but that venue has a sweet spot the size of a gnats ass and FOB ain't it ;D

The Aragon has a sweet spot?  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 10:11:46 AM »
The size comparison between the contents of the 2 rig bags says a lot. That's nice and small.

it speaks volumes!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
but that venue has a sweet spot the size of a gnats ass and FOB ain't it ;D

The Aragon has a sweet spot?  :P

not from what i have seen/heard but legend has it you found it once Brian :P

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »

it speaks volumes!

but you have to admit that the Portico has a sexiness factor that could never be pocket sized...and the rack ears give you something to grip.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
a

na, it sounded bad in there, they got it dialed in a bit after a few songs but that venue has a sweet spot the size of a gnats ass and FOB ain't it ;D

I listened to the show, considering location, i think it sounds great...ur right, it took a few song to dial it in...good show! I am taping them 7/30 in detriot
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
Unrelated........  but I just caught my first Ween show last night............  came out good without a CMR setup.  End of unrelated-ness.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
What would be the "default" setting for the tinybox with your setup? "mid"?

ok, ran the maiden Tinybox show last night for Ween(big thanks to Kobi(liveween) for the hookup), not going to be the greatest recording due to the fact that its the Aragon and we were pretty much forced to run FOB, but none the less you have to start somewhere and there were 4 other setups ran so hopefully those get upped so we can see some comps. also just a couple rig pics for fun.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Just upped another MK41/CMR> Tinybox show I recorded last night on Vacation of Los Lonely Boys, Very good(although short) show and I think came out very nice for a open air stage with the band facing Lake Michigan, check it out.

http://www.archive.org/details/LosLonelyBoys2010-07-03.MK41.flac&reCache=1

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »

Kobi and My bags

Darktrain, what is that yellow box? I suppose it is for protecting the mic's. Can you tell me the brand?
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
otterbox
?>FR2LE

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
T+, timP
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
Is the cable on the CMRs the same diameter and stiffness as the KC5 cable?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN

no it is thinner

Offline dennisrtyler

its more akin to the ccm cable

Offline edtyre

Just got my CMR's today! I want to wire them up with 5 pin mini xlr connector to run with Niant's Tinybox
Just checkin here to see if i have the info correct
pin 1 ground
pin 2 right signal
pin 3 left signal
pin 4 power
pin 5 open

Which wire on the CMR's is the signal/power? They are blue/white
Thanks for the help

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:59:31 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Just got my CMR's today! I want to wire them up with 5 pin mini xlr connector to run with Niant's Tinybox
pin 1 ground
pin 2 right signal
pin 3 left signal
pin 4 power
pin 5 open

Which wire on the CMR's is the signal/power? They are blue/white
Thanks for the help

white are signal, blue power

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
pin 1 ground
pin 2 right signal
pin 3 left signal
pin 4 power
pin 5 open

Edtyre,
the connector configuration you mention is that suggested by Jan, himself. He laos mentioned that pin5 could be also power, saying that is easy to build in that way. CAVEAT: I am just reporting what I was told as I am a newbie about to buy the tinybox-CMR combo.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
pin 1 ground
pin 2 right signal
pin 3 left signal
pin 4 power
pin 5 open

Edtyre,
the connector configuration you mention is that suggested by Jan, himself. He laos mentioned that pin5 could be also power, saying that is easy to build in that way. CAVEAT: I am just reporting what I was told as I am a newbie about to buy the tinybox-CMR combo.

We basically decided to leave the 5th pin empty because its easier to work with, that 5th pin is a pain in the ass, so all the sets i have wired were using just the first 4

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Here is a couple samples from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy the other night(2010-07-08 Bayside Stage, Traverse City, MI), turned out very nice indeed, fun band, one of those bands that makes you wish you weren't a human mic stand at the moment. (Rig - MK41's/CMR> Tinybox>M10(24/44.1)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:24:39 PM by Darktrain »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Man, this sounds awesome for such a tiny rig.  How much do a set of CMR cables go for?  Where can I get them?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Man, this sounds awesome for such a tiny rig.  How much do a set of CMR cables go for?  Where can I get them?
The CMR's will run 950-1000 for a set depending on the length you get, add 180 for the Tinybox and of course caps, but it is a dam fine and very small rig

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
It took along time for this system to catch on. Jump on the bus Dan and have some kool aid. ;D

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
i took a sip of kool aid
i ordered my own koolaid.....it will never come...anyone every had a hard time getting a hold of Jerry at Posthorn.  I have ordered tons of stuff from him in the past. he is not returning my emails or calls for the past 3 or 4 days.  I know CMR's are in the country, because edtyre got his and i ordered mine before him.  get VERY frustrated!
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
i took a sip of kool aid
i ordered my own koolaid.....it will never come...anyone every had a hard time getting a hold of Jerry at Posthorn.  I have ordered tons of stuff from him in the past. he is not returning my emails or calls for the past 3 or 4 days.  I know CMR's are in the country, because edtyre got his and i ordered mine before him.  get VERY frustrated!
a

^

Maybe he's on vacation.   ;)

What is the price on a pair of the cmr's from Posthorn?  My Milab actives sound great and I'm still hoping for the Gefell Nbox to materialize, but you never know...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:28:20 AM by dactylus »

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star

Maybe he's on vacation.   ;)

What is the price on a pair of the cmr's from Posthorn?  My Milab actives sound great and I'm still hoping for the Gefell Nbox to materialize, but you never know...
[/quote]

around a grand, depends on how long you get them
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »

Kobi and My bags

Darktrain, what is that yellow box? I suppose it is for protecting the mic's. Can you tell me the brand?

Sorry, just noticed this question, its a small pelican(1020), i use it to store the cmr cables/caps

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

What's the outer jacket like on the CMR's? Is it as stiff as the KC5s, or are they more flexible?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

What's the outer jacket like on the CMR's? Is it as stiff as the KC5s, or are they more flexible?

Its pretty flexible and a little stiff, it is kevlar reinforced

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Just upped the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy set on Dime if your interested in giving it a listen proper like ;D

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=312511

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
order your CMR's from Professional Sound Services out of NYC. ask for Justin Marinoff (he is a taper and the sales MGR) 2312-586-1033

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
Very eager to hear some comparison between this setup and the nbox... I have trouble doing a comp, since I only do stealth...
-c

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Here is a Rockin Heart sample and a quieter sample from Sarah Mclachlan from last night and shows how nice and versatile that Tinybox and CMR combo can be, I think it turned out very nice for a venue that is challenging to get a nice pull from, I was at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park, I was dead center 25 rows back, I was using the MK41's/CMR's> Naiant Tinybox> M10
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:29:51 PM by Darktrain »

adrianf74

Here is a Rockin Heart sample and a quieter sample from Sarah Mclachlan from last night and shows how nice and versatile that Tinybox and CMR combo can be, I think it turned out very nice for a venue that is challenging to get a nice pull from, I was at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park, I was dead center 25 rows back, I was using the MK41's/CMR's> Naiant Tinybox> M10
Very nice pull for the combo.  The few times I've tried to tape Sarah, I've been burned by the crowd.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a CMR>tinybox setup over the N-Box.

A few questions:

How long does the tinybox run the CMR's?

How are y'all wiring the CMR>Switchcraft Tini-Q, using 4 or 5 pin connector?

I'm thinking of dumping the open rig (mkXX>KC5>CMC6>xlr>pre>recorder, or mkXX>cmc6>xlr>pre>recorder). I'm thinking a 5' or so CMR will do the trick for self-worn. But, when running 'open' I sometimes need a big homerun. IE: clamping to center balconies/loges when my seat(s) are way off center. Is there a practical length as to an extender cable I can make?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a CMR>tinybox setup over the N-Box.

A few questions:

How long does the tinybox run the CMR's?

How are y'all wiring the CMR>Switchcraft Tini-Q, using 4 or 5 pin connector?

I'm thinking of dumping the open rig (mkXX>KC5>CMC6>xlr>pre>recorder, or mkXX>cmc6>xlr>pre>recorder). I'm thinking a 5' or so CMR will do the trick for self-worn. But, when running 'open' I sometimes need a big homerun. IE: clamping to center balconies/loges when my seat(s) are way off center. Is there a practical length as to an extender cable I can make?

Generally "we" have all made the cmrs around 6ft and then make and extension for open situations and all using the 5pin mini, i have personally wired up 5 sets now for people and made the extensions and breakout cables if need be, let me know if you need me to do the work, always good to add another to the group which is steadily growing....finally

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
ran my mk21>CMR>Naiant PFA>tascam dr-680 friday night ;D

i will post samples later, but the setup was super easy and fast...the sound is great...if thinking about bulling trigger on CMR's, its a no brainer...especially since schoeps new price drop!!
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline edtyre

Maiden Voyage for my CMR>Tinybox rig

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137646.0

i'll post a comp later as schoepsnbox ran his nbox+ with the same caps, recorder and config
sitting in the seat next to me. I know folks are wanting to know which one sounds best.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
mk41>CMR>naiant pfa>m248>sd 722

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=537357

a way to use CMR in open situations....same set up as Louie (NOLAfishwater)

enjoy
adam
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Just upped a couple more shows to dimeadozen if anyone want to check out some full sets going "not so open" with the mk41/cmr/tinybox combo

Heart 2010-07-17    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=318650

Slayer 2010-08-20   http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=318641

Megadeth 2010-08-20  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=318630   (daves vocals sucked this night)

Testament 2010-08-20  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=318596

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox/MK4/CMR- Sarah Mclachlan Samples 3/12/2011
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
Saw(and recorded ;D ) a great show(Sarah Mclachlan) last night, turned out very good, I give a lot of the credit to the venue though because the Chicago Theatre always sounds good, my location was on the floor right center near the back. Here's a couple samples from this setup Schoeps MK4's> CMR's> Naiant Tinybox(+24 = mid setting)> Sony M10(gain at 4)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:26:18 PM by Darktrain »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox/MK4/CMR- Sarah Mclachlan Samples from 3/12/2011
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
order your CMR's from Professional Sound Services out of NYC. ask for Justin Marinoff (he is a taper and the sales MGR) 2312-586-1033

Agreed! Just got my KCY from Justin, and he was AWESOME to deal with ;D 8)

Robb, that Los Lonely Boys sounds SWEET bro. I really like the CMR>TB setup. Very clean and crisp!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

Robb, that Los Lonely Boys sounds SWEET bro. I really like the CMR>TB setup. Very clean and crisp!

you get a chance to listen to my Pearl Jam show from last week 9/3=smokes

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »

you get a chance to listen to my Pearl Jam show from last week 9/3=smokes

No, unfortunately, not yet. But I def will 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.515 seconds with 213 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com