Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox/MK4/CMR- Sarah Mclachlan Samples from 3/12/2011  (Read 69976 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - First Run last night 3/19 - SWEEEEEEEEET
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »
Got to say both sets sound very nice and clean

Hope you upload both sets to LMA... would love to check them out.

My first LMA upload(although other people have upped a few of my shows), let me know if i need to change anything

http://www.archive.org/details/cj2010-03-19.cj2010-03-19.10pm.flac
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:15:47 PM by Darktrain »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »
Alright...  I thought I knew what these were about, but now am unsure.  What's the benefit...  low power consumption?  Doesn't need phantom?  Battery box instead?? 

They look like the same size as CCM's.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »
Alright...  I thought I knew what these were about, but now am unsure.  What's the benefit...  low power consumption?  Doesn't need phantom?  Battery box instead?? 

They look like the same size as CCM's.

Low voltage/battery power of standard capsules.

There is a polarization circuit right in the socket.  Powers with low current, so you can run it with standard wireless pack power (five volts or more, I believe), or, in our case with a simple battery box.

I must say, this company is certainly on top of things.  They've figured out exactly what people want.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »
They've figured out exactly what people want.

Love the Schoeps, and the CMR has its place.  And, a battery pack is a good work around to make it more versatile.  But, they haven't figured out exactly what I want:

A cross between the CCM, MK, and CMR concepts.
Basically a CCM style body with removable caps, can you imagine that?  To me, that would be the dream schoeps product.
Should be easy enough to do...anyhow, just dreaming :)

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
They've figured out exactly what people want.

Love the Schoeps, and the CMR has its place.  And, a battery pack is a good work around to make it more versatile.  But, they haven't figured out exactly what I want:

A cross between the CCM, MK, and CMR concepts.
Basically a CCM style body with removable caps, can you imagine that?  To me, that would be the dream schoeps product.
Should be easy enough to do...anyhow, just dreaming :)

the cmr is pretty much a ccm with removable caps and i ran it through the littlebox, doesn't that fit the bill?

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
Nope, the CMR needs power from a low voltage source like a battery box, preamp or wireless transmitter while the CCM is phantom powered and can plug straight into a device with phantom power.  I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired.  Perhaps someone can make a phantom powered adapter for the CMR that would not require an outboard pre or a battery box?  This would be close, but not as streamlined as the ideal concept in my mind...

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired. 

Yeah me too...

Basically a CCM that would run off of plug-in power of a small recorder like the R-09HR or PCM-M10 so that you could run CCM directly into a small recorder (and switchable caps would be icing on the cake)... I guess if there were small recorders that provided more plug-in power that would be enough to bypass the battery box in Darktrain's CMR setup. 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
mshilarious, Schoeps' capsules are designed for 60-Volt polarization, not 48. So are all the capsules that Neumann uses nowadays. 48 Volts was never chosen as some ideal polarization voltage; it was simply what was available from an auxiliary lighting system belonging to a particular Scandinavian broadcasting organization that Neumann wanted to sell microphones to at one point in the 1960s. They designed the KM 84 arrangement as a one-off demo for that customer, who then placed a firm order for several dozen microphones--and that's how 48 Volts got started in the microphone world. But the capsule that Neumann used in the KM 84 had originally been designed for the KM 64, where it had been polarized at 60 Volts (i.e. 1/2 the standard plate voltage for an AC 701 vacuum tube, via a 1:2 voltage divider).

Actually, by that time phantom powering for condenser microphones had already been in use for a couple of years, mostly at the French radio with various 12-Volt implementations (one with the positive pole grounded, the other with the negative pole grounded as it would be today). Since those designs used DC converters anyway, they stepped the incoming voltage up to 60 Volts and got the full dynamic range performance from the capsules.

Schoeps' "Colette" (CMC) and CCM series microphones all polarize the capsules at 60 Volts whether the incoming phantom supply is at 12 Volts or 48; this is done with a DC converter. When you consider that 4 mA per microphone is being drawn, the phantom supply resistors already drop the 48 Volts to something like 35 at the microphone--so you can see why the DC converter is necessary. The older models such as the CMT 50 series (and Neumann's "fet 80" microphones such as the KM 84 and U 87) drew less than 1 mA apiece, reducing that voltage drop enough that DC converters weren't considered strictly necessary. Besides, back then very few 48-Volt phantom power supplies could put out 2 mA per microphone reliably, let alone 4 mA.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Basically a CCM that would run off of plug-in power of a small recorder like the R-09HR or PCM-M10 so that you could run CCM directly into a small recorder (and switchable caps would be icing on the cake)... I guess if there were small recorders that provided more plug-in power that would be enough to bypass the battery box in Darktrain's CMR setup.

You can run CCMs into many small recorders...all is takes is phantom power.  You can have that as there are plenty of small recorders with phantom power available.  I just want to swap the caps out too :)
Because at $2000-$2500 a CCM and slim pickings in the used market, a palette of patterns will get insanely expensive fast.  All they got to do is make something like the CMR that runs on phantom power...that shouldn't be so hard considering they have made CCM bodies and the CMR.  I think the know how is there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:13:43 PM by midside »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
I would prefer something like a CCM with removable caps that can be used by itself or with a preamp if desired. 

Yeah me too...

There is no bb when running into the littlebox so like any other mics, they plug right into the pre and in "less than open" situations just a bb and recorder, it seems people think you have to have abb but you don't use it with the pre

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

Yeah me too...

There is no bb when running into the littlebox so like any other mics, they plug right into the pre and in "less than open" situations just a bb and recorder, it seems people think you have to have abb but you don't use it with the pre

Yes, I completely understand...always have.
But, I don't want to use an extra outboard pre, that is the key piece of information.  I just want to go straight in.  You have a great setup, I just want something different from schoeps.  And, trust me, if it was made, I think A LOT of people would want it...including you :)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

True, I just mentioned a batt box since it would be smaller than a pre, so that the smallest configuration you can run would be caps > CMR > batt box (or a larger pre) > recorder.

You can run CCMs into many small recorders...all is takes is phantom power.  You can have that as there are plenty of small recorders with phantom power available.  I just want to swap the caps out too :)

I see, basically you want a CCM with interchangeable caps, which would awesome.  But I also would like the ability to run directly into a smaller recorder that doesn't supply P48 as even the smallest all-in-one boxes (FR2LE, 660/661) are significantly larger than non-phantom providing recorders (R-09HR, M10).  Although I guess the problem with this (and the CMR) is that it would be unbalanced, but that shouldn't be a big issue when running 15' should it? 

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »

Yeah me too...

Yes, I completely understand...always have.
But, I don't want to use an extra outboard pre, that is the key piece of information.  I just want to go straight in.  You have a great setup, I just want something different from schoeps.  And, trust me, if it was made, I think A LOT of people would want it...including you :)

well it does say it will operate on 4-10v so i guess i am wondering why it couldn't go straight into say a marantz pmd 620 which provides 5v? Maybe Dsatz can clarify this

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
[quotewell it does say it will operate on 4-10v so i guess i am wondering why it couldn't go straight into say a marantz pmd 620 which provides 5v? Maybe Dsatz can clarify this
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm wondering if you could just use an XLR phantom power > 9 volt adapter, like the AT & DPA barrels, then just run straight into any of the 48V phantom recorders?!?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
If you remove the mics, I think there is sufficient room in the r09/hr to install a 6v battery (and the necessary minor tweaks) to power these (or 406x) directly.  I suggested this a couple of years ago, but I'm not aware that anyone has done it.

So..  Just to be clear, is the CMR polarization voltage 48v or 60v?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com