Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: comparison of Schoeps MK21 and MK4V  (Read 7287 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: comparison of Schoeps MK21 and MK4V
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
OK, Freelunch.  I guess you're taking my 'every little movement of the head' literally, so I concede that 'every movement' won't translate to a stereo image shift.  I'll amend to say that reasonable right to left head rotation will result in image shift. 

It's basic Recording 101 that directional mics will have image shift if you rotate the stereo pair.  I record with my Schoeps cardioids on a stand, the imaging changes even if the stand gets rotated a little bit...it happens all the time when people trip over the legs on my mic stand at a venue where I set it up DFC and I have nobody to help me block.

However, the point of my original response was simply to state that omni's can be more forgiving than hypers when they're mounted in a hat.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
OK, Freelunch.  I guess you're taking my 'every little movement of the head' literally, so I concede that 'every movement' won't translate to a stereo image shift.  I'll amend to say that reasonable right to left head rotation will result in image shift. 

It's basic Recording 101 that directional mics will have image shift if you rotate the stereo pair.

Yeah.. But...  Omni mics mounted on a baffle?  Those are directional!  Rotating your head will result in image shift regardless of whether it is omni or hyper.

And of course I'm taking it literally.  If I didn't, I'd sorta be ignoring what you wrote ;)

Sure, mk41's would be less forgiving to motion (especially in a vertical plane).  But the vast number of mk41 recordings show it's totally do-able.

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
Don't forget the mk22. Cross between the mk21/mk4. Great for stage lip as well as running upfront.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
I have both the mk21's and the mk4v's. I love them both.  I will agree with what others have said, inside in a theater/club/arena I like the 4v's...outside FOB with the mk21's has a major WOW factor for me.  Great bottom end, very full sound etc.  The 4v's are killer there as well. It is really a tough call, that's why i have both  ;D. I guess if i had to pick only 1, i would go with the 4v's.  i think they are applicable in a few more places than the 21's
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com