Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 4  (Read 76728 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG Active Project part 4
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2011, 01:39:40 PM »
TS...that is an awesome offer...

If I'm correct that there is a 711Chassis Binder plug...There is a 9.2mm Hole on the back end and a 11/16 hole that is threaded on the Capsule end...I know there is a retaining clip holding the FET board...not sure if there is need to mill something special for it...

I'll volunteer to create a drawing and run it past Jon for a preliminary approval...Jon also has purchased a Tap that matches the AKG Capsule threads and has offered to pass that along after he was done with creation of a Aluminum Prototype Run.

:coolguy:
i'm glad someone understands all that  :)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »

If I'm correct that there is a 711Chassis Binder plug...There is a 9.2mm Hole on the back end and a 11/16 hole that is threaded on the Capsule end...I know there is a retaining clip holding the FET board...not sure if there is need to mill something special for it...

I'll volunteer to create a drawing and run it past Jon for a preliminary approval...Jon also has purchased a Tap that matches the AKG Capsule threads and has offered to pass that along after he was done with creation of a Aluminum Prototype Run.

See what info Jon can provide. Just to be clear. We could never do tons of these or make it an ongoing production. Our lathe is not computer operated. One pair could take a few hours and if he can only do them on Saturdays, this could be a long process. A machine shop with modern equipment is definitely a better solution. That said, I'd like to give this kid a crack and see what happens.

update: I see jon already has prototypes? So we don't need my guy unless he can produce something better? I need the prototypes from Jon with specs and I'll show them to my guy and an outside machinist and we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:55:47 PM by ts »

Offline willndmb

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

See what info Jon can provide. Just to be clear. We could never do tons of these or make it an ongoing production. Our lathe is not computer operated. One pair could take a few hours and if he can only do them on Saturdays, this could be a long process. A machine shop with modern equipment is definitely a better solution. That said, I'd like to give this kid a crack and see what happens.[/b[
if nothing else it seems like he would get something out of it experience/knowledge wise
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
^ Yes. Basically he looked at the JKlabs brass colletes and said he could do it. He has no idea how long it would take until he tries. We have lots of aluminum stock around that he could test his skills on. He just needs numbers. ID, OD, thread size, length, etc. The taper may or may not be similar to JK's. Certain aspects will depend on his skill level.

I could also outsource this. Especially if larger amounts are needed. Like I said my guy could only handle very small runs. Still I need drawings either way.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:31:19 PM by ts »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Awesome!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
You'd be surprised what can be done on a manual lathe once a good workflow is developed.

But an auto-chucking cnc lathe is the way to bang these out.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
if TS's boy could at least put out one perfect set + 1 and write down all that was done, dont think it would be a prob to take that one extra plus the " blue print " that was used and find a shop to make 2 dozen sets.  everyone has a phone book, just call and check your local shop.  i know i have a small local shop that does alittle of everything.  they used to machine SS punches for my buddies super old punch press and would only get 2 at a time.  once they get all of the measurements its easy, its the first one that takes all the time.  keep at it.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
I've started to gather some info from some of my old machinist buddies.

They say the more info we have and the better prepared we are with drawings the easier it'll be to find someone to do the machining. It can get costly if we have any false starts with bad drawings or designs...

I think it would be useful to start writing out some of the goals we want to achieve... so here goes...

To me it would be better to have these made of brass. Brass doesn't cross thread as easily as aluminum and it's the material most high quality microphone bodies and capsules are made of. But, it's heavy. So, we'll have to remove a lot of it to make room for the circuit and cut down on the weight. I think small and light should be design goals.

Are we wanting these pieces to be hard wired or have a connector on them? I bet hard wired would be easier and cheaper... but I know many of you want them with removable cables. I'd take hard wired if it adds too much complexity and cost to design them to have connectors on them.

It would be great if we can design them to fit already existing mounting bars, like what Louie used to make. Is anyone still making Delrin stereo bars? If not, that's another thing that we may want to have a machine shop make.

Final cost... what's everyone going to be willing to pay for these things? The first few that are made are going to be pricey and may not even work properly unless we have really good designs and drawings...

I'm sure I'm missing some things... just trying to get the ball rolling with ideas. Please add your thoughts and concerns....

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
Robert Kwon still sells bars.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
i agree brass is better
i agree the smaller and lighter then better, but it is still going to be smaller and lighter then a body so i am not picky about that (i don't stealth much or at all)
i agree it would be good to fit some sort of mount
hard wired would prob be my pref, but as long as it was attached to a mount good i wouldn't worry if it had a connector (i just don't want to see the cap fall at a show, let alone fall and i can't find it)
cost wise, the solution isn't worth a ton to me because i don't need it for anything other then overall faster/smaller setup/clamping (as i said before, i'm willing to pay up front for something we know works but i'm not paying only to find out we are where we are at now - no where)
all that said i think we need jon (or whoever) to tell us the sizes needed for the guts and whatnot, no sense in wasting time/money until the important stuff is done

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »

That was fun...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline willndmb

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
where did you get the measurements from?
is it 11/16 on the outside of the threads, so the actual threads are less then that?
the outside would be better straight imo
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:23:38 PM by willndmb »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »
WARNING ABOVE IS THE FIRST DRAWING...I know there will be many adjustments along the way...

Measurements came from the Product Storm Thread and are linked a couple of pages back...

Straight sides would be easier...I just followed Jon's prototype...but I believe it was narrower at the back to fit standard 22mm Microphone clips

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline willndmb

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »
Try these:

http://www.naiant.com/images/AKG_active.ems

http://www.naiant.com/images/AKG_active_narrow.ems

The threads are 3/4"-32, which eMachine Shop software does not support, you will have to contact them and ask.  Ideally the OD is 21mm to match the capsules, but they might want thicker walls for the tap.
anyway some one can post those in jpeg
thanks

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
Download eMachineShop. It's a 3-D image
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com