Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 4  (Read 77397 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG Active Project part 4
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
I should have 2 samples ready to send to Jon early next week for fitting and testing. Also getting closer to a price. The hold up on that is quantity. But it looks to be well under 10 dollars a piece for brass. The samples will be based on Jon's design with a straight 21 mm OD. No step down. Top will be threaded for the cap and the bottom will be a 9mm bore hole per Jon's prints. Interior dimensions per Jon's prints.

About a half dozen folks have said OK. Please check the drawings Jon made using the emachineshop program. It's a free download. That is the one I am having made minus the step down on the OD. It is important that everyone knows that. I do not want to make 40 - 50 pairs only to find out that not everyone is cool with this design.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:13:05 PM by ts »

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
I should have 2 samples ready to send to Jon early next week for fitting and testing. Also getting closer to a price. The hold up on that is quantity. But it looks to be well under 10 dollars a piece for brass. The samples will be based on Jon's design with a straight 21 mm OD. No step down. Top will be threaded for the cap and the bottom will be a 9mm bore hole per Jon's prints. Interior dimensions per Jon's prints.

About a half dozen folks have said OK. Please check the drawings Jon made using the emachineshop program. It's a free download. That is the one I am having made minus the step down on the OD. It is important that everyone knows that. I do not want to make 40 - 50 pairs only to find out that not everyone is cool with this design.

I'm cool with it, and I'm in for a pair.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »

what is the other design option? the one that goes down in size about half way back?
i much rather the straight how you are doing it now, it makes it much easier to put into a shock imo, its just like a mini body
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ts

« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »

what is the other design option? the one that goes down in size about half way back?
i much rather the straight how you are doing it now, it makes it much easier to put into a shock imo, its just like a mini body

Yes, this one is straight. No step down half way back. 21 mm, same as cap size, the entire length with a chamfer at the bottom. These things are tiny. Kudos to Jon for figuring out how to stuff these with electronics. :)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »

Yes, this one is straight. No step down half way back. 21 mm, same as cap size, the entire length with a chamfer at the bottom. These things are tiny. Kudos to Jon for figuring out how to stuff these with electronics. :)

wouldn't the step down make these compatible with the NOLA bars though?  if these are just going to be going into a regular shock mount, why not just run full bodies?  am i missing something?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:41:14 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline willndmb

« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »

wouldn't the step down make these compatible with the NOLA bars though?  if these are just going to be going into a regular shock mount, why not just run full bodies?  am i missing something?
well depends on your mount
if you had one like the DPA use with the triangle "rubber band" inside or if you have AT mounts
i use windtech rubberband shocks and they are small/cheap and in my mind would work good
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
i use windtech rubberband shocks and they are small/cheap and in my mind would work good

Can you point me to a picture of those rubberband shock mounts? I can't find them on the WindTech site.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
Can't there be something like ed's solution?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150779.0
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline ts

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
This is my plan if we don't make the capsule couplings workable with already existing mounting solutions.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117392.msg1584500#msg1584500
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

well depends on your mount
if you had one like the DPA use with the triangle "rubber band" inside or if you have AT mounts

gotcha
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline ts

« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
This is my plan if we don't make the capsule couplings workable with already existing mounting solutions.

D Clips come in handy.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

that looks nice!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline willndmb

« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »

Can you point me to a picture of those rubberband shock mounts? I can't find them on the WindTech site.
this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298919-REG/WindTech_SP_20_SP_20_Microhone_Shockmount.html
they went up since i got mine for $6
they are actually 20mm, its a solid and tight fit on 460/80, perfect for 39x
you can side the collette in to the cap with the cable coming out the back

i like the looks of those pinch mounts in the schoeps thread and your naks too
basically what i was thinking with the windtech without having to buy anything, but the windtech way would def be bigger then the other 2
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:51:29 PM by willndmb »

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
this mounting set up was bought to be used with akg 460's, but sold my lot of them.  think its going to work very well for a long time.  ed 
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com