Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 4  (Read 77382 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: AKG Active Project part 4
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »
I NEED those mic clips ero :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
None of those mic clips will fit with windsreens like the big shures.  Or, allow use of legacy schoeps bars.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
For windscreens my solution here has always been stock foams with small dead rats. Use the stock foams indoors and both outdoors. I really like Chucks mounting solution. Much cheaper than my Vark bar, A20S and Audix D clips. The D clips are perfect for the size of the colette being made.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
Not that I have a say or that there is time to change the design, but I agree that this current solution will not allow the use of larger windscreens and I think it would be hugely beneficial to design a collette that will fit the Schoeps delrin mounting bars. This would mean a hardwired cable, but that's never been a problem on most of the active setups already available.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
Not that I have a say or that there is time to change the design, but I agree that this current solution will not allow the use of larger windscreens and I think it would be hugely beneficial to design a collette that will fit the Schoeps delrin mounting bars. This would mean a hardwired cable, but that's never been a problem on most of the active setups already available.

hmm, I think it would mean a sturdy connector, not a hardwired one. Take a look at the mbho design, it affixes the capsule element to a minixlr which is what the clip holds onto. Beyer uses the same setup and one other maker does as well, can't remember who at the moment though.

PS: I don't have any stake in this either.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »
None of those mic clips will fit with windsreens like the big shures.  Or, allow use of legacy schoeps bars.
good point, i use the "big" dpa screens
i think they would work but you wouldn't be able to slide it on all the way, but enough to cover the cap
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »

hmm, I think it would mean a sturdy connector, not a hardwired one. Take a look at the mbho design, it affixes the capsule element to a minixlr which is what the clip holds onto. Beyer uses the same setup and one other maker does as well, can't remember who at the moment though.

Not speaking from personal experience, but I would imagine those delrin bars are somewhat inferior to the Schoeps one. The Schoeps Kwon/Nola bars are far more common the the Neumann/MBHO variants and are the most streamlined. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (which is a good bet).

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »

I have a clip that I believe solves all of these issues fairly elegantly, and allows the use of schoeps bars.  I will probably productize it once the active setup is actually available.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »

Not speaking from personal experience, but I would imagine those delrin bars are somewhat inferior to the Schoeps one. The Schoeps Kwon/Nola bars are far more common the the Neumann/MBHO variants and are the most streamlined. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (which is a good bet).

yes, the schoeps bars are far more common, I suspect because there are more schoeps users who choose to use them is part of it. As far as inferiority, I guess I'm missing in what aspect.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
here r my options for out doors with my active set up.  the clips r strong enough to hold the KC housing all the way to the end with no probs.  your stock wind screens fit nice as do the dpa's, and i LOVE the Rode Dead Kitten by itself or over the stock screens.  i also us it on my schoeps cmxy4v's with great results.  it has a silky inside so u dont mind it right on your mic's.  it just the right size.  your could probably just use a Rycote wind jammer that covers the baby ball gag and cover the whole thing.  would never use the shure big ass screens, but dont see y they wouldnt fit.  hopefuly the project gets to the point where u'all have to find a mounting solution, that would be a good thing!!??  right?    ed
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:59:46 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »
Thanks ed! I was going to post something similar. Many options for screens, just no big ass Shures. Like I said I use a Vark bar, an A20S and Audix D clips with stock foamies and small dead rats for my Franken Naks, Akg CKx caps, DPA 4023's and I will now use the same mounting solution for the new AKG CK6x actives! With such a nice small rig who wants to lug around those big ass shures. I have the big ass shures and I only use them when I have my big ass bag with my big ass rig. :laugh:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »

yes, the schoeps bars are far more common, I suspect because there are more schoeps users who choose to use them is part of it. As far as inferiority, I guess I'm missing in what aspect.

Having owned both the Kwon style MBHO Bars, and the NOLA Bars that I now own, I can say the quality is just the same. Theyre well worth the price tag IMO, because of btheir simplicity :)

In what ways do you think theyre inferior ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
i use windtech rubberband shocks and they are small/cheap and in my mind would work good

Can you point me to a picture of those rubberband shock mounts? I can't find them on the WindTech site.
this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298919-REG/WindTech_SP_20_SP_20_Microhone_Shockmount.html

Yep, they would be a ton bigger which is why I suggested Ed's way.
Here's a pic of the windtechs on a akg bar with cmc64's. They were super snug when I ran the scheps. When I ran 460's they were super snug. They seem to fit 39x series the best.

Eds way looks bomb to me. YMMV.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:48:45 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
i use windtech rubberband shocks and they are small/cheap and in my mind would work good

Can you point me to a picture of those rubberband shock mounts? I can't find them on the WindTech site.
this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298919-REG/WindTech_SP_20_SP_20_Microhone_Shockmount.html

Yep, they would be a ton bigger which is why I suggested Ed's way.
Here's a pic of the windtechs on a akg bar with cmc64's. They were super snug when I ran the scheps. When I ran 460's they were super snug. They seem to fit 39x series the best.

Eds way looks bomb to me. YMMV.
yeah eds is def much smaller
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
Yeah will.
I think me and you have chatted about this before??? They seemed tailor made for the se300 series.
Def workable but super snug with the 460/480. Hell, I just ended u using the sa40 akg clips after a while.
Smokinjoe and I feel the same way about those. Low pro and love 'em.
-todd
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com