Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 122236 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
Thanks for the pictures acidjack and page!  I have been using a Manfrotto 122b with a SuperClamp; it works well, but I have been looking for something that can go down a bit.  I was thinking about the 143N or 244N, but they seemed a little light for the task...Looking at your photos makes it pretty clear that's what I need...

A little hard to find one, in Europe, for some reason, but I did find a German supplier.  While looking, I saw the predecessors (196 2 and 3 arm) are widely available.  Anybody have any experience with those?  The 396 looks more sturdy, but maybe it's overkill?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the pictures acidjack and page!  I have been using a Manfrotto 122b with a SuperClamp; it works well, but I have been looking for something that can go down a bit.  I was thinking about the 143N or 244N, but they seemed a little light for the task...Looking at your photos makes it pretty clear that's what I need...

A little hard to find one, in Europe, for some reason, but I did find a German supplier.  While looking, I saw the predecessors (196 2 and 3 arm) are widely available.  Anybody have any experience with those?  The 396 looks more sturdy, but maybe it's overkill?

I also own the 196 - it is more versatile in terms of directions it can move in.  It can easily hold, say, a pair of fullsize SDCs. It's shorter and of course cannot do what I do in terms of extending all the way laterally with fullsize mics, but it can do a whole lot.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »
The 396 looks more sturdy, but maybe it's overkill?

never
  :P

joking aside, what you trade in size or weight, you gain in load bearing peace of mind that you stuff won't fall (and ruin clamping at that venue or damage gear).

Now that I run active-style stuff, I've debated picking up a 196 for the flexibility but haven't needed to.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »

never
  :P

joking aside, what you trade in size or weight, you gain in load bearing peace of mind that you stuff won't fall (and ruin clamping at that venue or damage gear).

This. 

Roughly a year or so ago, some idiot accidentally dropped a microphone off the balcony at Bowery Ballroom (I think it was physically dropped rather than having a piece of hardware fail, IIRC) which could have easily brought taping/clamping at that fine venue to a screeching halt.  Thankfully, the management there is pretty level-headed and realized that not all tapers have butterfingers.  Nonetheless, we were under scrutiny for a while after that every time we set up.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
Thanks again, page and acidjack (and Fried Chicken Boy).  My mics, DPAs with the compact bodies, are small and light, but my bar is quite heavy.  And I will probably use the arm together with the 122b sometimes...Long story short: I am going to take your advice and get the 396 (even if it's a bit of a hassle).  I can always get a 196 later if I feel the need.

Roughly a year or so ago, some idiot accidentally dropped a microphone off the balcony at Bowery Ballroom (I think it was physically dropped rather than having a piece of hardware fail, IIRC) which could have easily brought taping/clamping at that fine venue to a screeching halt.  Thankfully, the management there is pretty level-headed and realized that not all tapers have butterfingers.  Nonetheless, we were under scrutiny for a while after that every time we set up.

I used to see a ton of shows at that place when I lived in Manhattan.  Indeed a fine venue.  Actually, my last show before I moved to the Netherlands (I think it was the day before) was The Melvins at the Bowery...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »
I thought I'd share a reply I sent to a PM I got over the weekend:

For safety cables, look for one that will hold at least twice the load your exerting, I shoot for around 3 times as much. When I was doing a lot of rock climbing, I would look at specs for climbing ropes and they quoted these outrageous max force rates, but it's because your not only fighting your weight on the rope, but also gravity and (as a result) velocity. If your stuff falls and only falls an inch, then it's a little over your stuff's weight, but if it's going to call a distance of 2 feet or so before it eats all of the slack in the line, then the initial impact where it tightens up will exhert more force than the weight of the stuff. It would be a hell of a bummer for the clamp/arm/mics/etc falls, the safety cable catches it, and then fails and falls again.

extra points if you can find a cable that is looped on both ends instead of just one with the biner fixed on the other. That way in a pinch you can pick up a $8 locking carabiner for extra protection.

So casually scanning over the B&H catalog, I saw the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840889-REG/Kupo_KG061112_41_105_cm_Long.html

holds a lot of weight, is fairly long (which is nice for the articulating arms), isn't all that expensive, and has a locking biner on it. I don't personally own one, but I'm tempted to pick one up just cause.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »
Agreed with everything page has to say regarding safety cables.  The only thing I'd add is, if they still make them, you might want to see if you can find cables with a plastic/vinyl/rubber coating like what you find on tool handles rather than the exposed braided steel.  Not that it's guaranteed to happen, but they're less likely to mar up the surface of whatever you have to attach them to.  I picked up a few of the coated ones at B&H years ago but couldn't find them now when I took a quick look online.

I used to see a ton of shows at that place when I lived in Manhattan.  Indeed a fine venue.  Actually, my last show before I moved to the Netherlands (I think it was the day before) was The Melvins at the Bowery...

Nice!!  acidjack and I have taped them a few times and catching them again at Webster Hall in April.  Looking forward to feeling my teeth rattling in my head again. ;D

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
Agreed with everything page has to say regarding safety cables.  The only thing I'd add is, if they still make them, you might want to see if you can find cables with a plastic/vinyl/rubber coating like what you find on tool handles rather than the exposed braided steel.  Not that it's guaranteed to happen, but they're less likely to mar up the surface of whatever you have to attach them to.  I picked up a few of the coated ones at B&H years ago but couldn't find them now when I took a quick look online.

Nice!!  acidjack and I have taped them a few times and catching them again at Webster Hall in April.  Looking forward to feeling my teeth rattling in my head again. ;D

Glad to see some discussion of safety cables. Anyone have any pics they can post of the cables in action?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
Anyone have any pics they can post of the cables in action?

pulled two cellphone pics from my email:

396 arm and 2 cables. I constructed the pic specifically so someone could see how I hook them.

Using the cable with a superclamp. This one is a bit tougher. It's working on the theory that your clamp won't come appart so much as just let go. But are unlikely, but yeah. I've found that finding a way of winding the cable through both parts is *really* difficult, so if someone's got a better system, I'd like to see it.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:39 AM »
^^ Is that cat stock or Busman modded?  ;D
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

funny you should mention that, she talks just about constantly and sounds like almost no other cat I've heard... still uses lots of vocalizations that cats normally don't use with humans. Her sister uses some, but not to this degree. A Tabby Tortoiseshell ta boot.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »

:lol: Good eyes. I didn't even notice it. Wonder what Busman would charge to warm mod an animal :yack:
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:33 AM »

:lol: Good eyes. I didn't even notice it. Wonder what Busman would charge to warm mod an animal :yack:

if I'm going to do that, I'd probably consider getting it for both.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »

if I'm going to do that, I'd probably consider getting it for both.

With 8 paws I'd go with a hybrid mod. 1 set warm, 1 set transparent ;)
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »

funny you should mention that, she talks just about constantly and sounds like almost no other cat I've heard... still uses lots of vocalizations that cats normally don't use with humans. Her sister uses some, but not to this degree. A Tabby Tortoiseshell ta boot.

Sounds like she has loads of personality. My pup does too, but she's quiet, never barks, just the occasional squeak or yip.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com