Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NOOB advice: unobtrusive mounting options for CAFS and or CA-14(o)  (Read 4296 times)

Offline hermannhesse70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
NOOB ALERT!!  Hey, I'm about to buy some mics from CA but need mounting advice from the experts.  I'm kind of concerned with stealth, I guess - but mostly just to be hands free, with the recordings sounding as good as possible with solid mounting techniques.  I like the DSM headworn thing with windsocks, but it's out of my budget and would rather make something similar.  Please advise on best methods for mounting CAFS and C-14's (haven't decided for sure on which would be best for my intended use).  I've read amazing things about all CA stuff, but I don't want to end up with the CAFS solely because they are smaller, *** i want the best sound, while still being able to mount them for a fairly unobtrusive look.  Set ups for glasses, hats, and whatever other creative ideas you guys have would be truly appreciated.   :)

Planning on doing mostly quasi binaural recordings of nature/environmental in a phonographic sense, with some live shows in small clubs (medium - loud).  I'll most likely be using a ca9200 (recommended for the gain I'll need for the quiet stuff) and a Tascam dr100 mkII.

Of course PMs on this subject are welcome/encouraged.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:07:58 AM by hermannhesse70 »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: NOOB advice: unobtrusive mounting options for CABS and or CA-14(o)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
CAFS- Glasses or either side of a cap, plus a little duct tape.  Those things are practically invisible.

CA-14, generally I'd say the same.

If you are VERY worried about being unobtrusive, certain brands of acoustically transparent hat allow you to mount mics inside rather than out. 

On a stand, the SP-GNA mounts are a nice option at SoundProfessionals.com. 

I'd buy the -14s over the CAFS if sound quality is your main concern.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hermannhesse70

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: NOOB advice: unobtrusive mounting options for CAFS and or CA-14(o)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »
Thanks man - that is the advice I was looking for.  I'm a gigantic fan of your recordings and totally appreciate your craft, so I know you know what you're talking about!!  Thanks for all you do.

Cheers,

Ryan
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:08:46 AM by hermannhesse70 »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
Much appreciated :)  If you need detail much more specific than that, send me a PM.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
CAFS- Glasses or either side of a cap, plus a little duct tape.  Those things are practically invisible.

Or maybe gaffer's tape to reduce residue on the cables (and glasses and hat)!

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »
Hi!

If you're still looking for a CAFS mounting solution, I can highly recommend heat shrink tubing.  I used a lighter stick to do the shrinking - just a quick pass of the flame.
There's a photo of the results on this page:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=107672.msg1815289#msg1815289

Another tip - it is imperative to keep sweat out of these mics.  Wear a bandanna or sweatband!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline tonebloke

• Taperssection Newbie
  • What!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:09:20 AM »
I can highly recommend heat shrink tubing.  I used a lighter stick to do the shrinking - just a quick pass of the flame.

Hey there rumbleseat. Can you provide some more info on this instillation please.

Where would I get the heat shrink tubing?
Can you explain the "quick pass" method you spoke of.
Was there any "damage" after heat shrinking it? And how would you minimize it?

Thanks for any reply you can give.
Church Audio CA-11
Church Audio CAFS
Church Audio Bat2Box (X2)
Edirol R09-HR
Tascam DR2d

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »
Sorry to butt in but really, the CAFS have very little bass. It's OK if you are recording a string quartet or something, but it'll make a rock band sound like it's playing through a two-inch transistor radio speaker. You'll be disappointed in them if you are used to your CA-11. The CA-14 are significantly bigger than the CAFS but oh so so much better for music. 

Hide 'em inside an acoustically transparent hat--and by the way, acidjack, could you name some of those brands?

I've said it elsewhere, but I really don't think security for anyone but a handful of bands worries much about tapers any more. I had CA-14s hanging out all day at an EDM fest, bulbous black mics clipped to the yellow cord of the schedule/laminate around my neck, and nobody looked twice. I brought in a little shoulder bag with PCM-M10, CA-14, battery box, sunscreen, etc. Security poked through it (though they didn't pay much attention to CA-14 wires), thought the PCM-M10 was a camera, didn't care a bit.   

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
my 2 cents.... if you're going with tape as a way of mounting the mics on anything, I wouldn't use something as strong as duct tape for something as delicate as I assume CAFS would be..... I once used a piece of duct tape to fasten a cable to a wooden column at my local club, and when I removed the tape at the end of the show, it yanked a huge chip of the paint right off the pole........ if you happen to get the mic stuck on the tape, it might be hard to remove..... 

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:12 PM »
oh goodie, more talking about stealth on a world wide forum!
Another Hasselhoff moment coming on?

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »
...but really, the CAFS have very little bass. It's OK if you are recording a string quartet or something, but it'll make a rock band sound like it's playing through a two-inch transistor radio speaker.

Of course you're exaggerating.  But let's not throw the CAFS under the bus!  I've been very impressed with their sound and have recorded rock bands at very high volumes without any sign of brick-walling.  These are very unobtrusive mics with a great sound.

Q: Where would I get the heat shrink tubing?
A: Parts Express or RadioShack carry heat shrink tubing.  You want to use the smallest size that will slip over the CAFS head and the temple arm of your glasses.  I think I used 1/4 inch.

Q: Can you explain the "quick pass" method you spoke of.
A: Once the heat shrink tubing is positioned where you want it, wave a lighter or even a match underneath the tubing to shrink it into place.  It doesn't take much heat, so don't overdo it, and don't let the flame linger on the tubing.  Practice ahead of time to get the feel.  Stay away from the head of the CAFS if possible.

Q: Was there any "damage" after heat shrinking it? And how would you minimize it?
A: No damage...  I've done this with two pair of CAFS and they were fine.

Sorry for the late reply - I've been out taping!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com