Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: akg 460/480 owners please read  (Read 56242 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: akg 460/480 owners please read
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Chuck did you ever get your Xmas surprise?

?? no ?? ...but I did get a pair of Audix Micro Series omnis over the summer that I absolutely love. Sold off my CK-62's which I never used to fund that purchase. I'm very happy with the Audix mics. I pretty much only use the C-480's with the CK-63 caps, as I also have a pair of Gefell M300's that I also love. So, the AKG active thing isn't as important to me anymore. That said, if it ever happens, I want a pair of the cables. :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
i don't do the electronics end. i make the mechanical components.
i know
and if i understand correctly
jon has made electronics for akg
you put your collettes with his electronics and bam, test run

didn't I already make the collettes? we don't need another collette maker, we need another Jon Stoppable. :P or Jon himself to step up to the plate.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:07:34 PM by ts »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
i don't do the electronics end. i make the mechanical components.
i know
and if i understand correctly
jon has made electronics for akg
you put your collettes with his electronics and bam, test run

didn't I already make the collettes? we don't need another collette maker, we need another Jon Stoppable. :P or Jon himself to step up to the plate.
i have lost track lol
i'll still test them  ;D
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
yall need a project manager and a venture capitalist.

if they get made, anyone remotely interested better buy 2 sets (one as a backup in case the first pair die) cause they won't come around again....
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
"Step up to the plate"?  Seriously, you think I haven't finished these due to cowardice or something?

Chuck will get his pair, then I am officially done with this project.  It just isn't worth the constant hounding.  Please stop asking me about it.
Sorry Jon if I am one of the hounders
I have in no way ment to be that and always appreciate your works and knowledgable posts
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
"Step up to the plate"?  Seriously, you think I haven't finished these due to cowardice or something?

Chuck will get his pair, then I am officially done with this project.  It just isn't worth the constant hounding.  Please stop asking me about it.

I don't care what your reason is. I was simply pointing out that we don't need another machinist. We need you or a guy like you. That's all. I thought followinbob was a guy like you. Apparently he isn't. Carry on.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
yall need a project manager and a venture capitalist.

if they get made, anyone remotely interested better buy 2 100sets (one as a backup in case the first pair die) cause they won't come around again and otherwise this won't be worth anyone's time....

FTFY  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
so i am wasting my time huh???? cool. i will go back to making money.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline willndmb

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
you are not wasting your time if you can make a set up
the issue is no one outside of jk labs has ever made a set up and produced it
there are plenty of people interested if you can make it happen

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
been making tiny military parts for years. have to use a table magnifyer to look at alot of them. the problem is cheap production. i personally
pay for kick ass gear. i tried the being cheap route when i first started taping again. have a ton of gear i cant get rid of. i always get the schoeps
cmc-6/mk4 and 722 in but it will be nice to have the n box--->schoepsmk4--->m10 set up.   now way you cant get that in. i sold my akg's years ago because i couldnt get cables. do love those mics.
as far as the schoeps electronics it is already a done deal when i ssend mechanical components to my electronics guy. plus many more stuff in the works.
i do make kick ass 24" wide billet aluminum mic t bars. you can easily get like 6 pairs of mics on it. more if you hang a few pairs.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
been making tiny military parts for years. have to use a table magnifyer to look at alot of them. the problem is cheap production. i personally
pay for kick ass gear. i tried the being cheap route when i first started taping again. have a ton of gear i cant get rid of. i always get the schoeps
cmc-6/mk4 and 722 in but it will be nice to have the n box--->schoepsmk4--->m10 set up.   now way you cant get that in. i sold my akg's years ago because i couldnt get cables. do love those mics.
as far as the schoeps electronics it is already a done deal when i ssend mechanical components to my electronics guy. plus many more stuff in the works.
i do make kick ass 24" wide billet aluminum mic t bars. you can easily get like 6 pairs of mics on it. more if you hang a few pairs.

I would be interested in a split omni bar for my ca14 omnis, when I do get them this fall/winter
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »
I think the disconnect has been whether you are trying to make full active cables for the AKGs/etc, including the necessary electronics, or whether you're trying to make just the mechanical collette needed for AKG actives.

For awhile there seemed to be a lot of confusion in the thread, seemingly indicating you only were intending to make the mechanical collettes without electronics. Which would mean it is a waste of time if nobody was willing or able to develop the needed electronics for assembly into the collettes. 

Since it seems like you're teaming with an electronics person to provide a complete solution all ready to go, I don't think it is a waste of time at all.  I've always felt that AKG actives is an example of if you build it, they will come.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Since it seems like you're teaming with an electronics person to provide a complete solution all ready to go, I don't think it is a waste of time at all.  I've always felt that AKG actives is an example of if you build it, they will come.

yeah, that was where I was headed with my quip about the venture capitalist and the project manager. One person to sign commercial contracts for orders, manage sales, etc, and one person to fund the initial push.

I think there is enough pent up demand (overall, not just here) for 20-30 pairs up front, and you could probably move upwards of 75 pairs over 12 months. Those are numbers that are approaching benefit in having stuff machined. The problem is few people want to assuming the financial risk to have everything machined and built only to move less than 75% of them right off. Pre-orders won't move them, it's something that a bunch will pick up, if they work well and people talk about them, the rest will get sold over a year or so. I'd be surprised at more than 100 sets though (assuming 2 per set for a stereo pair). Thats why I said everyone should pick up 2 sets (so 4 total), cause if anything happens and one gets crushed in a wook stampede, it's probably a one-time deal. Second, that makes that initial risk lower and thus increases the odds they get made.

Last, there are folks here, Jon included, who have proven that a boutique shop can make it, but it requires hunting for other markets (whether it be GS, other niche hobby communities, etc). Thats why I said you could move upwards of 75, but they won't all go here.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »

yeah, that was where I was headed with my quip about the venture capitalist and the project manager. One person to sign commercial contracts for orders, manage sales, etc, and one person to fund the initial push.

I think there is enough pent up demand (overall, not just here) for 20-30 pairs up front, and you could probably move upwards of 75 pairs over 12 months. Those are numbers that are approaching benefit in having stuff machined. The problem is few people want to assuming the financial risk to have everything machined and built only to move less than 75% of them right off. Pre-orders won't move them, it's something that a bunch will pick up, if they work well and people talk about them, the rest will get sold over a year or so. I'd be surprised at more than 100 sets though (assuming 2 per set for a stereo pair). Thats why I said everyone should pick up 2 sets (so 4 total), cause if anything happens and one gets crushed in a wook stampede, it's probably a one-time deal. Second, that makes that initial risk lower and thus increases the odds they get made.

Last, there are folks here, Jon included, who have proven that a boutique shop can make it, but it requires hunting for other markets (whether it be GS, other niche hobby communities, etc). Thats why I said you could move upwards of 75, but they won't all go here.

To your point about markets besides "us", it leads me to beg the question why did AKG themselves discontinue the product? (at least, they discontinued the MK46 cable, right?  I'm less clear about the bluelines). I'm not arguing with you; I don't have the relevant information to. But I think it's worth asking.  Tapers aren't a very big part of the market; I don't deny it'd be awesome for us, but if someone wanted to make money on it, they might need someone besides us (especially since, if it was very costly, there are several other brands that don't require custom machining).

Which brings me to my next point:  In the real world market, several companies continue to find it worthwhile to have some kind (or in Schoeps' case, multiple kinds) of "active" solution: Beyerdynamic, DPA (more or less), Sennheiser, Schoeps, MBHO, Neumann, Milab, Busman, and I'm sure some I forgot.  AKG, the real-world manufacturer - and by the way, one of the bigger ones, with one of the biggest product lines compared to some of these others) exited that market.  What's the rationale?  My instinct is that AKG is probably selling way more pairs of mics (and they certainly have a more diverse product line) than any of those companies I listed.  Why are enough consumers buying, say, Beyer ck930 to make it worth their while, and not enough out there for AKG? 

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

To your point about markets besides "us", it leads me to beg the question why did AKG themselves discontinue the product? (at least, they discontinued the MK46 cable, right?  I'm less clear about the bluelines). I'm not arguing with you; I don't have the relevant information to. But I think it's worth asking.  Tapers aren't a very big part of the market; I don't deny it'd be awesome for us, but if someone wanted to make money on it, they might need someone besides us (especially since, if it was very costly, there are several other brands that don't require custom machining).

Which brings me to my next point:  In the real world market, several companies continue to find it worthwhile to have some kind (or in Schoeps' case, multiple kinds) of "active" solution: Beyerdynamic, DPA (more or less), Sennheiser, Schoeps, MBHO, Neumann, Milab, Busman, and I'm sure some I forgot.  AKG, the real-world manufacturer - and by the way, one of the bigger ones, with one of the biggest product lines compared to some of these others) exited that market.  What's the rationale?  My instinct is that AKG is probably selling way more pairs of mics (and they certainly have a more diverse product line) than any of those companies I listed.  Why are enough consumers buying, say, Beyer ck930 to make it worth their while, and not enough out there for AKG?

My initial reaction is a CBA done on maintaining stockpiles of parts, technical expertise for repairs, modernizing technology costs for a different system, etc. It wasn't worth enough at the time so they dropped it and never had enough demand to do the outlay again. Second, I think a lot of the remote capsule offerings are really targeted at specific markets; classical music, journalism, and a couple others (including us). Maybe AKG figured it wasn't worth their time and effort to compete in those markets when they can focus on studio and live music (or the home entertainment realm with their playback devices). Another example of expansion (albeit delayed) is for years DPA didn't offer a cardioid that they thought would be robust and low cost enough to use on a tour, and now they have the 2011 capsules. Last, we see many offerings now, but 15-20 years ago there weren't nearly as many.

Just like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop; the world may never know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com