Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: akg 460/480 owners please read  (Read 56241 times)

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: akg 460/480 owners please read
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
finished the collet prototype. going to send it off next week to be assembled and tested. we already have the circuitry to do the capsule side electronics.
when i get a akg body/capsule in my hand i will strat the akg cables.   i am used to sneaking in my cmc-6/mk4 and sd722 into shows so it will be nice
to go smaller. thinking of picking up a m-10 bit bucket to use with the cables and magic little box. will try to get the mic bar pictures up somewhere so i can
share that with you guys. it is natual aluminum and not colored at this point.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
finished the collet prototype. going to send it off next week to be assembled and tested. we already have the circuitry to do the capsule side electronics.
when i get a akg body/capsule in my hand i will strat the akg cables.   i am used to sneaking in my cmc-6/mk4 and sd722 into shows so it will be nice
to go smaller. thinking of picking up a m-10 bit bucket to use with the cables and magic little box. will try to get the mic bar pictures up somewhere so i can
share that with you guys. it is natual aluminum and not colored at this point.

Littlebox has been discontinued, but you can still buy a Tinybox!!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
I think the disconnect has been whether you are trying to make full active cables for the AKGs/etc, including the necessary electronics, or whether you're trying to make just the mechanical collette needed for AKG actives.

For awhile there seemed to be a lot of confusion in the thread, seemingly indicating you only were intending to make the mechanical collettes without electronics. Which would mean it is a waste of time if nobody was willing or able to develop the needed electronics for assembly into the collettes. 

Since it seems like you're teaming with an electronics person to provide a complete solution all ready to go, I don't think it is a waste of time at all.  I've always felt that AKG actives is an example of if you build it, they will come.

Good post Todd. I officially retract my comment made on 10/29. I was one who thought all we had was another machinist. I stand corrected. My apologies to Bob.

That said, I guess I can finally tell my machinist I won't be ordering 40+ pairs of collettes. The prototypes he made for the project were sent out so long ago, the poor guys been asking me every couple weeks when he would get an order. I guess I'll just pay him for the prototypes and cancel any future dealings.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:23:21 PM by ts »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
I think there is enough pent up demand (overall, not just here) for 20-30 pairs up front, and you could probably move upwards of 75 pairs over 12 months. Those are numbers that are approaching benefit in having stuff machined. The problem is few people want to assuming the financial risk to have everything machined and built only to move less than 75% of them right off. Pre-orders won't move them, it's something that a bunch will pick up, if they work well and people talk about them, the rest will get sold over a year or so. I'd be surprised at more than 100 sets though (assuming 2 per set for a stereo pair). Thats why I said everyone should pick up 2 sets (so 4 total), cause if anything happens and one gets crushed in a wook stampede, it's probably a one-time deal. Second, that makes that initial risk lower and thus increases the odds they get made.

That is absolutely the case.   Though in many respects, the machining is the easy part.

I'm at the point of being ready to move from prototypes to producing volume, but that needs to be funded. 

More difficult - I need the time to crank out sets, with great quality, and testing.  And also the time to deal with customer orders for various configs.  All while maintaining a career, and life.  I have made a huge investment of time, and not an insignificant amount in components and gear, getting to this point.  After all that, nobody wants to end up with a bunch of parts that you can't sell.

But Winter is coming, and that's a good time for projects like this.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
I am chomping at the bit Brian, but you know that already! I'm ready!

Your Guinea pig for testing,  ;)
Myco
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
To your point about markets besides "us", it leads me to beg the question why did AKG themselves discontinue the product? (at least, they discontinued the MK46 cable, right?  I'm less clear about the bluelines I'm not arguing with you; I don't have the relevant information to. But I think it's worth asking.  Tapers aren't a very big part of the market; I don't deny it'd be awesome for us, but if someone wanted to make money on it, they might need someone besides us (especially since, if it was very costly, there are several other brands that don't require custom machining).

Which brings me to my next point:  In the real world market, several companies continue to find it worthwhile to have some kind (or in Schoeps' case, multiple kinds) of "active" solution: Beyerdynamic, DPA (more or less), Sennheiser, Schoeps, MBHO, Neumann, Milab, Busman, and I'm sure some I forgot.  AKG, the real-world manufacturer - and by the way, one of the bigger ones, with one of the biggest product lines compared to some of these others) exited that market.  What's the rationale?  My instinct is that AKG is probably selling way more pairs of mics (and they certainly have a more diverse product line) than any of those companies I listed.  Why are enough consumers buying, say, Beyer ck930 to make it worth their while, and not enough out there for AKG?

Yes, AKG discontinued the MK90/3 active cables for the Bluelines, I was lucky enough to pick up a used set.  Wish AKG would have improved them instead because the stock cable that they used had poor shielding.  I recently modded mine and am very satisfied with the result a HUGE improvement over stock.  It was an involved project that I'd been pushing off for quite a while but finally dug in after one of my stock cables acted up on me and couldn't be trusted anymore.

Some of the reasons I went with Blueline's; they are affordably priced, active cables were available and a fig 8 capsule is still available since I like to run ORTF or mid-side.  460/480 active cables would have made those more attractive for me but those don't have a fig 8 capsule available.  [followinbob] if you do eventually offer 460/480 active cables people will buy them but it is one of those believe it when we see it products that has come up fairly often but never happens.

Here is a photo I took of my MK90/3 active cables after completing the mod on them.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »
Nice mod digital ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
full active with amplifier in collet is what we are trying to do. sold as complete set. and other applications too hopefully.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
full active with amplifier in collet is what we are trying to do. sold as complete set. and other applications too hopefully.

There would be a market for AKG Blueline Actives but this series would certainly present some steep challenges for you making them up from scratch.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

;D

Will be glad to see this [finally] happen! 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
my friend used to have the blue lines. anything can be made. 

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
schoeps colettes done.tested them last wednesday. have 9 pairs made. for sale in a few days with ends for the N box.  starting the akg's tomorrow. 

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
nice!  I will be all over the AKG actives!  >:D
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
hell yeah. and other mics too. both as active with bodies and also other powering options.  got some mic bars coming too.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
schoeps colettes done.tested them last wednesday. have 9 pairs made. for sale in a few days with ends for the N box.  starting the akg's tomorrow. 

what exactly will you be selling ??? I have tried to follow your posts but I cant read them all ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com