Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on-stage taping  (Read 71185 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: on-stage taping
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
really great recording situations
I dig this jazz trio stuff the most
oustanding musicians
all instrumentals
vintage gear
masterful improvisations
Post of the year. Couldn't agree more.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
The on-stage taping jazz trio gig I posted about last year is still going.. here are a few photos of an interesting setup last night.  I remembered to bring a camera this time since I was looking forward to running three TLs thanks to Xpanding Man lending me one of his:

My overkill setup with 8 mics into the DR-680-
1) MG M94 pair in ORTF
2) Three ADK TLs in an L/C/R triangular supercardioid arrangement.  Each mic attached to one leg of the stand base.
3) Three DPA 4060 omnis- one boundary mounted to stage surface in the rubber DPA boundary mount, forward of the MGs and ADKs.  The other two gaff taped to the front wall of the stage facing out into the room, boundary mounted about 8' apart and a foot or two below stage level (not visible in these photos).

The other setup visible in the photos is Spyder9's AKGs in DIN,  not visible here is Xpanding Man's double setup of Busman's and ATs just to the right of Spyder's rig and mine.

Partial view of my setup from above.  Visible in this photo are the ORTF MGs, the Center and Right ADKs, and if you look closely, the center 4060 in black rubber boundary mount taped to the floor in front of the center TL-

View from the left side.  Visible here are:
Spyder's camera, his stand with AKGs at the top, DVD battery, Niant Little box and M10s at the base. 
My ORTF MGs in Shure vert bar supported by the folding stand base, angled back to face the mics upwards. The three ADK TLs (big thanks to Xpanding Man for lending me the 3rd TL in the center!, which is also tilted back), and the barely visible center 4060 taped to the floor about 6" forward of the center TL.
A small part of Xpanding Man's stand immediately behind can barely be seen poking out on the right behind Spyder's stand-

Another view from above showing Spyders's AKGs, my MGs and TLs and the angles on them-

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:09:52 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
You are all jerks  ;)
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
Cool, I would love to hear the results.

Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
Spyder will probably get his up on Archive pretty quickly. He taped last month there with me and mentioned last night that he'd posted it.

I'm probably the worst taper on TS about actually getting processing and done, and when I do it's usually oldschool discs passed around, but I have grand ideas about putting up comparisons of many of the different setups I've run for this regularly re-occuring gig on-line somewhere for you guys.  Same players (sometimes a substitute drummer), same arrangement and room everytime makes for a great opportunity for comparisions between setups.

I did plugged DR680 outs into my surround receiver when I got home last night and re-lived it.  The three TLs routed directly to left, center and right speakers, and the room facing 4060s routed to surround left/right.  Soundy!

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  soundy is as soundy does.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
Interesting setup. How are TLs attached to the stand legs?
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
That folding lightstand base ships with the end of one leg drilled and taped to accept a mount for a floor light.   I drilled and taped the other two legs similarly so I could use them for these kinds of low-profile on-stage configs.  It allows spacing of up to a maximum of about 2' with the TL shocks baskets extending another few inches each way.  To use them I screw a short treaded stud into the tapped hole and secure it with a nut, then attach the mic mount to that.  I've previously used just the one in front by itself or the two on either side, but this was the first time I've used all three at the same time.

To keep the XLRs from contacting the floor, I use right angle connectors and have strung my TL supermount shocks with old, stretched out elastics on top and new tight ones on the bottom so the mics are shifted upwards in the mounts more so than normal.  The shockmount on the left with the thin black elastics is Xpanding Man's, strung normally, and that mic was set at an angle partly to get a bit more clearance between the XLR connector and the floor.  The simplest way of getting more clearance above the floor is to use a longer threaded stud or to connect a few together to get more height.  I did that last month to attach a stereo LD to the front leg.  It needed more clearance for the straight XLR terminated multi-conductor mic cable required for that mic, so I just connected three of the studs together with nuts.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Beautiful set-up gutbucket! Go Go Go! thanks for the pictures.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
I just put up my recording.  That's my 460 > littlebox > M10 setup in the picture.

http://archive.org/details/blrt2012-08-23.spyder9.flac16

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 01:54:40 AM »
onstage and i cant split them dfc nos 110*  >:D
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Below is a photo of the latest incarnation of the on-stage setup I've posted about previously from the gig last night, same room, same band, same tapers.  As before, Spyder’s rig is the taller stand to the right, centered on the drum kit (mics are out of frame).  My setup consists of the 3 ADK TLs at stage level + Gefell cardioids clamped the the underside of the lip facing out into the room.  The 3 ADKs are in hypercardioid mode like before, but spaced and angled closer to one of Michael William's MMAD (Multichannel Microphone Array Design configurations, an extension of the 2-channel Stereo Zoom stuff).  The MMAD setups are designed to achieve 'critical-linking' between each recording segment for smooth imaging all the way around.  Actually this is a bastardized version of one of his suggested arrays, but the position and angles of the 3 ADKs are pretty close.  The Left and Right mics are oriented sideways to get the spacing and angles between all three closer to what it is supposed to be. 

The cardioids take the place of the 4060 omnis I previously taped to the wall under the stage lip.  Their angle, pattern and position under the lip help exclude the direct stage sound from them.  Substituting those lets me approximate and experiment with the full 5 channel Williams arrays and should provide a more defined left/right imaging across the surrounds with the audience reaction.  In the arrangement shown here they don't really achieve 'critical-linking' between Left and Left Surround (Ls) and Right and Right Surround (Rs), but should across the segment between Ls and Rs.  I did this last time with the cardioids in more of an ORTF arrangement facing out into the room, so I’m interested in hearing the difference in having them positioned wider with less angle between them.

Music played last night was the compositions of Horace Silver.

(Note to John- Bobby played the black Les Paul without the Leslie as he's done before, but this was the first time I've ever seen him play without the Echoplex)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:01:46 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
Below is a photo of the latest incarnation of the on-stage setup I've posted about previously from the gig last night, same room, same band, same tapers.  As before, Spyder’s rig is the taller stand to the right, centered on the drum kit (mics are out of frame).  My setup consists of the 3 ADK TLs at stage level + Gefell cardioids clamped the the underside of the lip facing out into the room.  The 3 ADKs are in hypercardioid mode like before, but spaced and angled closer to one of Michael William's MMAD (Multichannel Microphone Array Design configurations, an extension of the 2-channel Stereo Zoom stuff.  The MMAD setups are designed to achieve 'critical-linking' between each recording segment for smooth imaging all the way around.  Actually this is a bastardized version of one of his suggested arrays, but the position and angles of the 3 ADKs are pretty close.  The Left and Right mics are oriented sideways to get the spacing and angles between all three closer to what it is supposed to be. 

The cardioids take the place of the 4060 omnis I previously taped to the wall under the stage lip.  Their angle, pattern and position under the lip help exclude the direct stage sound from them.  Substituting those lets me approximate and experiment with the full 5 channel Williams arrays and does provide a more defined left/right imaging across the surrounds with the audience reaction.  In the arrangement shown here they don't really achieve 'critical-linking' between Left and Left Surround (Ls) and Right and Right Surround (Rs), but should across the segment between Ls and Rs.  I did this last time with the cardioids in more of an ORTF arrangement facing out into the room, so I’m interested in hearing the difference in having them positioned wider with less angle between them.

Music played last night was the compositions of Horace Silver.

(Note to John- Bobby played the black Les Paul without the Leslie as he's done before, but this was the first time I've ever seen him play without the Echoplex)

DAY-YAM! Nice setup!~
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Marking thread. Nice work guys.  :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com