Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on-stage taping  (Read 71205 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: on-stage taping
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Gutbucket, I assume that's a no vocals (just instrumentals) band?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
I have not payed much attention to the on stage records but these look interesting and would like to hear what they sound like.  I'll be downloading spyder9 version tonight.  Would love to hear the surround sound.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »
Hey y'all Dennis Rea has put together a seven piece ensemble for guided improv as well as two composed tunes in one of my favorite performance spaces.
I'll be running my Avantone CK-1 Busman mod mics onstage with the omni caps.

Dennis Rea - Guitar
James DeJoie - Bass Clarinet
Beth Fleenor - Clarinet
Kate Olson - Soprano Saxaphone
Stuart Dempster - Trombone
John Seman - Bass
Tom Zdonc - Drums

Stephen Fandrich - solo piano will be opening.

Show is scheduled to start at 8:00 Pacific time.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scoobiesnax
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
Thanks Myco & China.

Chuck, that's correct.  Only song title announcements, background stories, banter, communication between musicians, etc. directly from stage without a PA. Occasionally there is a single announce mic to the overhead PA for that, but its far clearer both on the recordings and out in the room when that is not used.  There was an unexpected guest sax player at one gig who stood almost directly above the mics similarly arranged like this down low on the stage surface, which concerned me at the time, but the sax recorded nicely.

JimmyC, I’m relatively strong on the recording end and woefully weak on post and distribution work, but that’ll shift eventually.  This series has been a fantastic recording setup laboratory for me and I have loads of material comparing various setups which I’ve planned all along to eventually get into a form that I can make available to you all.  Syder9 on the other hand is super efficient at getting his recordings posted pretty quickly, so that takes some pressure off me for those who want to hear the music, if not my oddball setups.  Thanks for that Spydee.

Hard for me to pass that up Scoob, especially featuring bass clarinet- one of my favorite non-mainstream instruments.  Wish I was going to be around tonight for your stream.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
I'll have the MP3 up and streaming on my blog later tonight most likely.

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

Very interesting onstage outfit. I wonder if those ADK's may need to wear windscreens to protect against inadvertent kicks, beer splash, etc.?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
Very interesting onstage outfit. I wonder if those ADK's may need to wear windscreens to protect against inadvertent kicks, beer splash, etc.?

Normally yes, but I stopped using them here since all of that is not much of a concern for this series- it's a rather mellow scene.  One TL got a an o-so-slight tap from the accoustic bass once when the musician laid it down on it's side on the stage after the set, and that's about as wild as things get, excluding the music.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
I always record in mono be it on  stage recording or anywhere, it gives you the ability to adjust the panning and levels per channel as needed. The r44 records 4 channel mono with digital in. the dr 680 records 6 mono and digi in is stereo

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
(Note to John- Bobby played the black Les Paul without the Leslie as he's done before, but this was the first time I've ever seen him play without the echoplex)

It didn't sound too dry did it?  Maybe a copy of this will show up at Springfest  ;)  nice work on the setup
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »
Last night's Dennis Rea show is streaming on my site.

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/2013/01/dennis-rea-large-ensemble-the-chapel-performance-space-at-the-good-shepherd-center/

Dennis is considering putting this out on MoonJune Records. If it doesn't get released, I'll drop my FLACs on bt.etree.org

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
(Note to John- Bobby played the black Les Paul without the Leslie as he's done before, but this was the first time I've ever seen him play without the echoplex)

It didn't sound too dry did it?  Maybe a copy of this will show up at Springfest  ;)  nice work on the setup

I was out of town all weekend and haven't had a chance yet to listen to the recording itself other then very briefly later that same evening when I got home.  Live he did sound a bit drier but not overly so, I think he used the standard Fender spring-verb in the amp.  But you know I dig that organic tape delay, even when it's relatively dialed down.  It was a rather hum-free night for a change.  Looking forward to giving it a closer listen this week, especialy since he felt it was a particularly good night.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
I had the chance to record my band on-stage the other day but I was afraid that the drums would take over the whole recording so I ended up having a crappy recording due to a poor position in the GA and a mediocre PA sound.

We play moderately loud indie-rock, do you think a on-stage recording without the drums being too prominent is achievable?
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
More than the issue of how prominent the drums are, is how much of your band's sound comes from a PA?

If you're instrumental and your stage sound is balanced, on onstage recording can turn out beautifully. Parallel compression and judicious limiting can tame the drum kit.

If you have direct instruments, vocals, etc, then a 4 track recording mixing the onstage mics and a soundboard feed works amazingly well. What isn't coming off stage is coming from the PA and you can mix the two in post.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »
I don't have 2 recorders at the moment so I have to choose between doing SBD (which I actually don't like much, I always prefer the sound of naturally amplified and recorded music) or on-stage. Our stage monitors use to be very balanced and softly mixed so I guess they  would be a good taping source, but I'm seriously concerned about the drums. I mean, I record our rehearsals in a very small (4x5 meters) room and the drums come out prominently always, even when the recorder & mics are placed the farthest possible from the drumkit... So I would guess that on-stage recording would have a similar problem if not worse, due to the stage providing an actually shorter distance between recorder and drumkit.

THanks for the help though :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Small practice room and it's reflections could easily be part of the problem for you. Try onstage in a live setting and see. If not, go with the classic audience recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com