Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on-stage taping  (Read 71206 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: on-stage taping
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
Love the mic Pron Gut...any chance to listen to the results? Hell I'd love to hear each individual track to see how it builds up (to 5.1 Surround?).

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
I'm all set to record Avishai Cohen Thursday night here in J-town (I e-mailed management on a whim, offering to record which they accepted and comped my entry). I'm likely going to use a Schoeps mk22 and mk8 in a mid/side array from dead center stage lip.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Avishai is sick, if mgmt. Allows please share

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »
I'm all set to record Avishai Cohen Thursday night here in J-town (I e-mailed management on a whim, offering to record which they accepted and comped my entry). I'm likely going to use a Schoeps mk22 and mk8 in a mid/side array from dead center stage lip.
Nice! I saw him with John Scofield.... very amazing!
hope you can share
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »
Hypno, I can probably get my raw tracks to you all to play around with.  Artist plans on stopping by tomorrow to hear it played back directly from the DR680 through my surround system.  I listened last night and needed to adjust channel balance slightly to reduce the level of the left channel and should probably bring up the bass EQ a couple dB to compensate for the roll-off in the response of the supercardioids in all channels except the Center, which would otherwise get to thick on the kick, but nothing major.  It's five direct channels, L/C/R/Ls/Rs no sixth .1 LFE channel. 

There was also a friend taping with his two channel rig (the taller stand visible to the right of my setup in the photos) and another shooting video. Ironically, one of the musicians is a music professor at a nearby university and asked the video guy not YouTube the smokin' encore version of So What, due to some technical mistake I missed but which he doesn't want his advanced graduate students to give him a hard time about. No wide distibution of that one at least.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
I love omnis on stage, up to three or four of them across the front, when possible  :)

Here's an old photo for you.. four DPA 4060s gaffer taped to welding rods bent into gentle curve.  Designed to be gaffer taped vertically to the stage-lip, spaced at 3-4' intervals across the front of the stage, so that they extend up a few feet and back over the stage a few feet.  This photo shows them laid out on the shop floor after I taped them up, the afternoon before a MMW show (I think, maybe that was for Charlie Hunter).  They are nearly invisible from the audience during the performance.

Found a
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »
Found a photo of three of those rod-mounted omnis setup for use, along with the ADK TLs in Blumlien, taken about a year and a half ago in the same room as the more recent photos I posted above.  The camera flash makes them obvious in the photo, but the band didn't even realize the stalk mounted omnis were there for months.. until eventually noticing I was taping something else up besides the big mics.  This photo was taken before I drilled and tapped the other two feet of the folding three-leg lightstand base to attach the TLs in the triangular configuration I'm currently using there.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
Great stuff Gutbucket!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
Thanks, Gutbucket, this is very interesting, especially with the photos and the diagrams: maybe there is more than stereo!
At least that's what I understand from all your posts in this thread and others!
I'm marking this thread...

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
Avishai Cohen was a big success. I ran mk22/mk8 MS onstage.

More pics (etc) available here: http://noahbickart.fastmail.fm/Avishai/

Avishai Cohen Trio - February 28, 2013: Zapa; Jerusalem, Israel

Avishai Cohen - Bass, Vocals
Nitai Hershkowitz - Piano
Jorge Rossi - Drums, Percussion

Source:
Recorded from the stage lip, DFC
Schoeps mk22 [mid] / mk8 [side]> KCY Cable> Naiant Littlebox> Sony m10 @ 24bit / 96kHz

Processing:
Micro SD Card> Macbook Pro> Sound Studio [Light Limiting, Normalize, M/S Decode, Tracks & Fades]> xACT [Aiff > Flac]

Recorded by Noah B. Bickart <noahbickart@post.harvard.edu>

1 Signature (Avishai & Nitai)
2 Cris Cross (Avishai & Nitai)
3 Avishai Speaks
4 Samuel (Trio)
5 Ballad for an Unborn (Trio)
6 Variations (Trio)
7 4 Verses (Trio)
8 El HaTzipur (Trio)
9 7 Seas (Trio)
10 Crowd Noise
11 "?" (Avishai Solo)
12 Alfonsina y el Mar (Avishai Solo)
13 Morenika (Avishai & Nitai)
14 "?" (Trio)
15 Besame Mucho
16 Remembering
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:23:23 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
I love this thread and reading about more advanced tehniques of which I know I'm not capable of executing with any success, both becuase I neither have sufficient gear nor the technical expertise.  From my perspective a simple stero pair on stage or a stero pair flanked by a less directional pair like subs or omnis works wonders in my world.  Quite honestly, I usually prefer the simple stereo pair centered than I do the mixdowns of a split pair, but I think that's partly because I know I have hearing damage due to too many shows and partly because I don't have much confidence in my eq abilities (again largely this goes back to hearing damage and lack of technical knowledge to navigate the frequency spectrum).

Anyway, gutbucket you and I met at the mmw show pre-jamcruise last month (I was running the schoeps 4-mic active set with tony frisa from nyc) and I was very much impressed with your surround array.  Would love to listen to the end results one of these days before my hearing goes completely to the shitter.  On stage recording is certainly my preferred approach and I salute all that support on stage taping.  I'll be at Blue Note in NYC tonight recording Bill Evans Soulgrass w/ medeski, cininger, mbappe, etc on stage w/ sbd matrix for bill's mgmt. Co roundhouse (big ups to ted gak for hookin' that up!!) and though I doubt I can circulate if I can I will (also got the tuesday 2/26 show w/ kraz).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:07:03 PM by microburst »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2013, 01:07:33 AM »
Lookin good Noah :) I need one of those MS Screens :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »
Lookin good Noah :) I need one of those MS Screens :)

I've got an extra one, which I'll give you if you buy my mk8/mk6
Recording:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com