Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem with SKM140 active setup  (Read 1523 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem with SKM140 active setup
« on: August 30, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »
note: i am posting this for a friend.  any help would be appreciated.

"I recently acquired a Neumann SKM140 set with active cables and all... I was testing everything and it appears that I have some issues with the connection of the microphone bodies to the active cables. It seems that I cannot interchange bodies and cables. Each body will only work with a single cable. I can change capsules at the other end and I can change capsules directly with the mics without any issues.

However, the bodies on the active cables are another issue. They seem to work perfectly on their respective cables and one of the bodies can work on both cables but the other body only works on a single cable. When it doesn't work, the sound is very quiet and somewhat muffled sounding. There is not extraneous noise or crackling, but yet there isn't really any sound.

To phrase perhaps better, I have cables A&B, Bodies A&B, and Capsules A&B. Body A will only work with Cable A. Body B will work with Cable A or Cable B. Capsules A&B will work with Cables A&B and Bodies A&B.

Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense... Anybody have ideas on what is wrong here and is it easy to fix?

Thanks!"

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Problem with SKM140 active setup
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:20:09 PM »
Not to sound like a wiseass, but I don't really see a problem...just make sure to use the body and cable combo that works.

If they're new, I'd call a Neumann rep. If he bought 'em used, just keep the coordinating bodies/cables together. Hell, mine might've had that problem too, but I'd never have known, as I don't think I ever unattached the cables.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »
maybe at one time they were cross threaded, and there is a connectivity issue as a result

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 03:42:27 PM »
The little pins on the body and the capsule end of the actives are sprung.  If they are recessed they may be making poor contact.  If the mics are older, it's possible that there is some grunge in the threads of the body end of the actives or the body itself.  That would possibly cause the active to not completely seat on the body.  If the recessed pin is mated with a grungy threads, that might cause a poor connection. 

I would verify that all threads are clean and that the connections mate completely then I'd check the pins on the body to make sure that they are not recessed.  The spring should be treated with great respect but you won't hurt it if you gently give it a little bend upward.

While you are at it, clean the pins and traces.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com