Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 99418 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
The AKG Actives Project
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »
The AKG Actives Project

Okay folks,

Matt (gumbino) and I have decided to take the lead on this project and get it going.  Seems like there have been countless starts that always end up sputtering out.  Not this time.

We will be taking this project in several phases (in no particular order):

- We are trying to round up all of the current users/owners of JKLabs and r/nboxes and getting a reference schematic  drawn up as a basis to work off of.
- We need to find out who would be interested in this project/product
- We need to decide on what exactly we want out of this.  Its not as easy as saying"I just want actives"
- Who is willing to pay for this type of project/product.  Not everyone is willing to spend $100/$500/$1000 or whatever the final cost would be
- Who can build this for us.  Is it Nick of Nbox fame or dp we find an outside engineer.

These are just a few of the questions we need to figure out.

If you would at all like to be involved in this project please send me a PM.  Most likely what I will do is to take the alot of this planning and development off of this board as not to clutter it up and confuse people.  When we have tangable facts and ideas then we could bring it to the board.

So if you want to help, are just interested in the project/product or whatever please send me a PM with an email addy and what you like to help with.  After a few days I'll email everyone who has responded and we'll get this thing rolling to completion.

PLEASE DO NOT POST PDF's DRAWINGS DIAGRAMS TO THIS THREAD.  EMAIL THEM TO ME AT OFOTDAKG@GMAIL.COM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:08:47 PM by OFOTD »

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »
perhaps we could get some feedback or assistance from Jim Williams @ Audio Upgrades as well, he seems to know the insides of the mics rather well  ???
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:21:52 PM »
Would anyone be willing to open up their 460/480 bodies and possibly caps and take high-res pictures? Just in case AKG won't release schematics and Jim Williams doesn't want to help? I believe there is a nice picture of the box ToddR bought from Lee somewhere. Nice to see renewed interest in this!  ;D
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
well, count me in on some actives, I have no schematics to help w/, but the final project i would be willing to throw down 500>1000 for actives for the 480's, i dont want a phantom source tho, i just want to go ck6x>actives>v3(phantom)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »
I don't believe Jim will work on the 480's, as everything in it is surface mount.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »
i am willing to pop open my moded 460s have a camera with great macro capabilities, but i think there are some photos around here somewhere of the insides, and to be honest I have no clue how to get them open.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 01:29:34 PM »
PM sent.

Any schematics or hires pictures may be sent to: mannr@uwaterloo.ca, or better yet, just post for all to see :)

I'll report here if I make any progress.  My first step is to build a 62V supply for polarizing the capsule.  After this, the rest should be easy :)

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
i am willing to pop open my moded 460s have a camera with great macro capabilities, but i think there are some photos around here somewhere of the insides, and to be honest I have no clue how to get them open.

I've only seen pictures of the stuff he takes out, never the inside. But I believe you just have to loosen the screw at the base and slide the cover off - maybe using an xlr cable that is connected to help?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:14 PM »
FYI, I've already initiated correspondence with AKG Europe regarding schematics on a lot of this stuff.  I think it would be best if everyone holds off bombarding them with emails / calls.   I think they'd be more likely to help out & supply this info if there aren't a ton of people bugging them all of the sudden.

I too thought about JW, but seeing that he does a TON of work on all kinds of gear, I don't know that he'll have as much time to devote to this project as we'd like.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »
Matt has a good point.  Let's see what happens with his initial inquiry.

FWIW, I just touched base with AKG and the tech has started looking at my caps but went home sick yesterday (hope that's not an omen!)  They told me he's good about returning messages though, so I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow of so (at which point I'll ask him about the CK6_ possibilities).

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »
Has anyone thought of reverse engineering a JKLabs box?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
Has anyone thought of reverse engineering a JKLabs box?

Can you elaborate, Chuck?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 02:16:22 PM »
i've got photos of each side, but i don't have any software on this computer to reduce the size, i can email the high-res to someone if they want to repost the images here? FWIW they are about 1.5MB each

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 02:17:55 PM »
i've got photos of each side, but i don't have any software on this computer to reduce the size, i can email the high-res to someone if they want to repost the images here? FWIW they are about 1.5MB each

PM sent.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »

PM sent.

you've got mail

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com