Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 99418 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »
- We need to decide on what exactly we want out of this.  Its not as easy as saying"I just want actives"

In fear of opening the floodgates, this is something we all need to give some thought.  Let's all try to be realistic, though.

Here's what I'm interested in:

1) A box that has the option of a) providing phantom 48v and variable gain from 0 to ? AND b) not providing anything other than acting as the bodies.  Ideally, it could operate either way so it could be used as actives only for running infront of other gear that provide the phantom power & gain (i.e. M148 / V3), or it would operate as an all in one in front of an ADC/capture device for stealthing.

2)  An extension cable for the AKG 460/480 mics that allow for running the caps remotely from the bodies.  This would allow the caps to be run remotely from the JW Mod AKG bodies, similar to the MBHO actives..  Ideally, an it would allow for the option to run the bodies in the chain with the box.  This would possibly require more work than it's work, or not be feasable at all.

option 2 is kinda what i thought was getting spit balled here and i am interested in seeing this happen.
option 1 is an acceptable alternative and would be easier to pull off, but i dont see the real need in my world.  sure, it would be great to stealth my akg sound, but even then the caps are still bigger than i would like to be stealthing with... also, it seems the box solution would possibly cost more than the cable solution.

+ t to the thread, but in all honesty, i really dont need actives... never really understood what the hype was about.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 03:26:11 PM »
OK, I've put some stuff on my webpage:

These are the bodies of the C460:  PDF document from AKG, page 2 has schematic.  Images from Gumbino...

Gotta give credit where credit is due: Terrapinj, not me.   
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 03:26:43 PM »
lixard1969 is a male.

here's a link to "team jk labs"
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51923.0;all

Are you sure, Tim?  Their profile says female, and a couple people refer them as "her" in the team board.

yup contact has been made with him by the n box crew.   :)

Cool.  Thanks for the clarification, Tim.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 03:27:35 PM »

+ t to the thread, but in all honesty, i really dont need actives... never really understood what the hype was about.

i didn't either until i ran Ian Stones Ho's, so easy to set up, so low profile, plus i would like the option of being able to stealth with my mod 460s even if they aren't as small as some of the micro mics
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
Either option would be better than what we have now...

I'm willing to help this come about in any way I can.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »
i didn't either until i ran Ian Stones Ho's, so easy to set up, so low profile, plus i would like the option of being able to stealth with my mod 460s even if they aren't as small as some of the micro mics

This would appear to be a second "vote" for keeping the bodies in the chain and pursuing option #2.  As it happens, I also have Audio Upgrades modded bodies and would prefer to keep them as well.  So really the "box" isn't the focus of this push, IMO.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 03:34:03 PM »
If the box sounded good, I would take it first.  But active cables > bodies would be great as well.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 04:07:10 PM »
This is growing too fast.

Let me please be a little more specific before the floodgates totally open on this one because we want to do this right.

Currently we are looking for 6-7 people with some really good experience taping.  This is not for new tapers.  With these people we will discuss the objectives of this project of which there are tons of possibilities.  When we decide on what we want this to be then we'll come back to the thread with those goals.  Be it caps/cables/box or caps/cables/bodies, etc.  We are not yet at that point yet in the project. 

If you are all sharing PDF's, drawings, pictures and whatever please don't put them in this thread yet.  Email them to me or to gumbino.  My email is ofotdakg@gmail.com   I promise we will be open and honest the whole way through. 

Flooding this thread with stuff is just what we want to avoid as going this route has NOT worked in the past.  It's going to take some patience from everybody.

So save your ideas, write them down but please wait before sharing them so that we can get and stay organized.  If you would like to help with this project email me or PM me with your email addy and we'll get a group together that can help see this to completion.

Creating a plan is the absolute first step.  Taking shit apart and buying gear to take apart is many steps ahead of us.  Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. 

Cool everybody?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
The Burger King is such a wise man   ;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 04:19:31 PM »
Well one good step would be to get in touch with those who are already working on this project, but have run into time issues etc.  There is one member on here who has already machined the connectors for the bodies and the caps and completed connecting the cable.  He was working on the circuitry in the end that connects to the capsules but had a full plate and didnt have time to spend on it right now.  He posted pics on here and it looked sweet.  I think it was jholdren or something to that effect.  He is so far along that all it might take is one of the other electronic whizzes on this board to help him out a little and the cable option might be a reality.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2006, 04:25:14 PM »
- We need to decide on what exactly we want out of this.  Its not as easy as saying"I just want actives"

In fear of opening the floodgates, this is something we all need to give some thought.  Let's all try to be realistic, though.

Here's what I'm interested in:

1) A box that has the option of a) providing phantom 48v and variable gain from 0 to ? AND b) not providing anything other than acting as the bodies.  Ideally, it could operate either way so it could be used as actives only for running infront of other gear that provide the phantom power & gain (i.e. M148 / V3), or it would operate as an all in one in front of an ADC/capture device for stealthing.

2)  An extension cable for the AKG 460/480 mics that allow for running the caps remotely from the bodies.  This would allow the caps to be run remotely from the JW Mod AKG bodies, similar to the MBHO actives..  Ideally, an it would allow for the option to run the bodies in the chain with the box.  This would possibly require more work than it's work, or not be feasable at all.

#1 is a possibility and has in fact already been done (JK Labs).

I thought the whole purpose of this "project" was to make #2 a reality?

#1 has almost been done...that's what I have, but there is a minimum amount of gain that is always on. There is a post from Jon somewhere on this site where he clarifies that. When I ordered from him, I thought I was getting exactly what is described in #1, but in fact there is a minimum amount of gain at the lowest setting.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2006, 04:41:55 PM »
Well one good step would be to get in touch with those who are already working on this project, but have run into time issues etc.  There is one member on here who has already machined the connectors for the bodies and the caps and completed connecting the cable.  He was working on the circuitry in the end that connects to the capsules but had a full plate and didnt have time to spend on it right now.  He posted pics on here and it looked sweet.  I think it was jholdren or something to that effect.  He is so far along that all it might take is one of the other electronic whizzes on this board to help him out a little and the cable option might be a reality.

I agree with everything you just said.

But I can't say this enough though. ONLY ONE PERSON HAS SUCCEEDED AT THIS SO FAR. JKLabs.  Many have tried and failed.  Many have tried and run out of time.  Many have tried and just given up.  Thats why we are trying this a new and different way.  All of the info Brad just provided is awesome and its something we want to get to but we are at day one of this project.  I fully expect (maybe hope is a better word) to have this completed in 6-9 months.  So this is not some quick deal.  We want to do it right the first time. 

Half of the people that have PM's me want caps > actives > bodies  and the other half want caps > actives > phantom box.  Well we need to figure out what makes the most sense for the most amount of people.  Where should we devote our time and energy maybe both or maybe one or maybe something not mentioned yet.

If you have strong opinion and have information join the team putting this together.

Sorry if I sound bitchy I am just really trying to avoid tons of people chirping in because that just gets us in endless conversation circles and not any closer to our end goal.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
My first step is to build a 62V supply for polarizing the capsule.  After this, the rest should be easy :)

I believe the m148, nbox and RMod all use internal batteries to do that?  The batteries do seem to last a long time. That seems like a really simple approach and nothing is cleaner than DC off of a battery.  My RMod seems to throw about 55-58 volts to the caps even when no 9volt batteries are present and regardless of on/off switch position.

Regarding the JKL MG cap shells.. It would be interesting to know whether and how they can be disassembled for cable replacement, etc.

I like the idea that you intend to do this as a public/open project.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »

I think one of the goals I had in mind is to make sure that we have available parts afterwards for repair or replacement. 

This is really going to be back and forth between semi-private and open/public.  I feel like the actual down and dirty work will be semi-private so that we can stay focused but the concept and final product will be open/public.  One of the problems I have seen with the idea of AKG actives is that few people want to share credit. An ego thing i'm guessing.  Or you have a situation where it kinda almost becomes like a "I made it and only I can fix it" type of situation.  All sorts of people may end up working on this (ts.com members or not) and in the end I at least hope for the information to be available in the public domain.  But then again thats one of the reason we're putting this group together so we can make decisions on these types of things to (hopefully) avoid some of the pitfalls that have attached themselves to all sorts of other projects in the taping world.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2006, 07:09:46 PM »

I think one of the goals I had in mind is to make sure that we have available parts afterwards for repair or replacement. 

This is really going to be back and forth between semi-private and open/public.  I feel like the actual down and dirty work will be semi-private so that we can stay focused but the concept and final product will be open/public.  One of the problems I have seen with the idea of AKG actives is that few people want to share credit. An ego thing i'm guessing.  Or you have a situation where it kinda almost becomes like a "I made it and only I can fix it" type of situation.  All sorts of people may end up working on this (ts.com members or not) and in the end I at least hope for the information to be available in the public domain.  But then again thats one of the reason we're putting this group together so we can make decisions on these types of things to (hopefully) avoid some of the pitfalls that have attached themselves to all sorts of other projects in the taping world.

I agree these can all be problems.  But my approach so far has been to post anything I do and give links to schematics/photos so others can build it.  I'm doing this with my battery boxes, AKG CK9_ actives, preamps, etc.  I figure that the more people that see this, the more DIYers will attempt it, either for themselves or for others.  In fact, I suggested (by PM) a few people to build these, but noone has done so (yet).  In the meantime I'm going to build a few battery boxes for people that have asked :)

OK, less talk and more solder!!!  If anyone builds, dissassembles, or otherwise messes with anything AKG CK6_ related, please post here or mail to someone in this thread.  Otherwise just wait on this thread until something happens...

Thanks,
  Richard

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com