Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 99413 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
OK folks, just got off the phone with Richard at AKG.  His take on the VR tube thing is that it *could* be possible, but the tube provides ground to the circuit. 

So find an alternate grounding source and maybe it could work? (these are my conclusions, not his).

His take on it was that the demand wasn't there, so there wasn't any reason to do it.  He definitely did not come out and say "it can be done", but once I explained the thought process to him he did concede that it might be possible.

So there you go.

Thanks for the info.  I don't understand how they don't see the demand.  I can't believe that studios aren't interested in the remote capsules?

Most studios don't use the 460's and 480's.  They use 451's.  If they need to get the cap into a tight spot they'll use the A51 or A61 angler.

Can't comment on the DPA thing.  Most studios I've been in don't have DPAs at all.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:48 AM »
understand, hypers are irrelevant to me...if I my seats arent good enough for cards, I need better seats!

Snob!   :alert: 

Wish we could all be so lucky.  I hate to say it, but my taping days are going to become numbered once the wife and I have kids.  Money will be tighter, and choice seats cost $$.  I'm going to be volunteering at the big amphitheater here in return for free lawn seats for every show.  Now, I know that "God couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn", but at least it will give me something to feed my addiction.

I need to download Tony's ck69 P&F show and see how it sounds.  Might work from the lawn?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2006, 10:59:50 AM »
* sigh *

So I just heard from AKG and they can't repair the 3 non-working capsules because their facilities aren't set up to do it properly...so I got cards and hypers but no omnis.  They did check out the other 4 and fixed the other active cable for me.  After talking with some other folks it does seem the omnis could be fixed though, but I don't know if I want to bother with this anymore.

Anyone interested in a set of actives with cards and hypers?  Sale?  Trade?   ::)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »
understand, hypers are irrelevant to me...if I my seats arent good enough for cards, I need better seats!

Snob!   :alert: 

Wish we could all be so lucky.  I hate to say it, but my taping days are going to become numbered once the wife and I have kids.  Money will be tighter, and choice seats cost $$.  I'm going to be volunteering at the big amphitheater here in return for free lawn seats for every show.  Now, I know that "God couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn", but at least it will give me something to feed my addiction.

I need to download Tony's ck69 P&F show and see how it sounds.  Might work from the lawn?

I am sure my priorities will change when I have kids ;D

Offline Brian

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »

Snob!   :alert: 

I am sure my priorities will change when I have kids ;D

and i'll be there to buy your 4022s when that happens >:D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »

change with regards to concerts I attend...the gear is a sunk cost, that is the story I gave my wife and I am sticking to it!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2006, 11:22:15 AM »

change with regards to concerts I attend...the gear is a sunk cost, that is the story I gave my wife and I am sticking to it!

Wise approach.  Same one I took.  Since I also work weekends doing live recording I am still able to continually justify the cost of new gear to my better half (within reason of course!)

She wants new kitchen cabinets and I want a V3 to play around with.  Must be a compromise in there somewhere, right?

Offline Brian

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2006, 11:26:03 AM »

we'll see ;)  baby cribs are getting expensive these days!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2006, 11:49:06 AM »

we'll see ;)  baby cribs are getting expensive these days!
i'll trade him a crib for the 722  ;D
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2006, 11:51:15 AM »
OK folks, just got off the phone with Richard at AKG.  His take on the VR tube thing is that it *could* be possible, but the tube provides ground to the circuit. 

So find an alternate grounding source and maybe it could work? (these are my conclusions, not his).

His take on it was that the demand wasn't there, so there wasn't any reason to do it.  He definitely did not come out and say "it can be done", but once I explained the thought process to him he did concede that it might be possible.

So there you go.

This is EXACTLY what I thought might be going on. Would certainly explain the hum Marc Nutter heard and I believe freeluch had to overcome this problem by running an additional wire - I will have to look at that thread again. Anyway, to me it totally makes sense that the metal tube just acts as a ground, and this should be able to be circumvented by soldering a wire to each of the connections. If it is only a grounding issue, what I envision is cutting and removing the tube 1/2" off the threaded connections, leaving a bit of the tube attached to each end and exposing all the wiring. Then solder a wire to connect the two remaining pieces of tube and enclose all the wiring with a sleeve or tech-flex. Only question is why did the one guy say it's a matter of capicitance? Anyway, strong work and THANKS! +T
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »

So there you go.

This is EXACTLY what I thought might be going on. Would certainly explain the hum Marc Nutter heard and I believe freeluch had to overcome this problem by running an additional wire - I will have to look at that thread again. Anyway, to me it totally makes sense that the metal tube just acts as a ground, and this should be able to be circumvented by soldering a wire to each of the connections. If it is only a grounding issue, what I envision is cutting and removing the tube 1/2" off the threaded connections, leaving a bit of the tube attached to each end and exposing all the wiring. Then solder a wire to connect the two remaining pieces of tube and enclose all the wiring with a sleeve or tech-flex. Only question is why did the one guy say it's a matter of capicitance? Anyway, strong work and THANKS! +T

Just want to step in here and say he was very hesitant to give me any words of encouragement on this.  I asked him specifically could you keep the two ends and remove the length of the tube and replace with flexible cabling.  He did hem and haw about it but eventually acknowledged that it *might* be possible.  He actually followed that up by saying he'd never thought about it before!

So caveat emptor (or something like that).  Proceed with caution.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200. yadda yadda yadda

Off to AKG to pick the stuff up.  I will reiterate the question in person if I have the opportunity.  I shall report back directly.
Dirk

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »

Anyone interested in a set of actives with cards and hypers?  Sale?  Trade?   ::)

pm sent
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline tchoub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2006, 06:30:46 AM »
I don't know if it has already been mentionned but the "AKG service documentation" for 480s is available here
Partial schematics are given.
This is a nice project !

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
I don't know if it has already been mentionned but the "AKG service documentation" for 480s is available here
Partial schematics are given.
This is a nice project !

Thanks for the link! +T    This is just the sort of thing we're looking fdr!

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2006, 01:28:13 PM »
i've been following this thread since it began. i'm one of those tapers that falls into the "beginner" category and probably wouldn't really be helpful w/ the technical nature of this project. but i do want to commend everyone involved thus far for their motivation and involvment.  Good Luck and if I can contribute in some small way LMK. +T gents.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com