Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Stealth Mics, Need Help!  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Md2545

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I am not a number I am a free man!!!
New Stealth Mics, Need Help!
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
Please help me!!
I recently purchased some DSM-6S microphones off of Ebay for a pretty good deal. Got them the other day and I popped them into my D100 to see if I got signals in both channels, everything was fine until the left channel started peaking like crazy. I listened with headphones to see what this was all about and it's distortion, I'm not hooked up to a preamp of any kind so is that why this is happening or does it have something to do with the jack maybe a bad connection.  I don't want to go out and buy a preamp if the mics are already bad. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
DSM-6S/M>PA-6>Sony PCM D50 or Sony TCD-D100

DPA 4060 > Core-Sound B.Box > Sony PCM-D50

ilduclo

Re: New Stealth Mics, Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »
Hey, Matt----

the D100 sure sounds like its not the problem to me. No real way to adjust the vol independently. Do you have another set of double mics to test it with?  The old corpsesounds might allow you to see if there is no similar response from the signal. I got DPA's recently, I am pretty happy with them so far, but I gotta start going line in on loud shows to prevent the brickwalls.

Any chance of getting the Uitti disc off you sometime in the next month or two?

did you tape Wolf eyes?

I got Onieda Wed, just got the Buckethead trio, that was one good show.

see ya

Mike in Or.

PS________-the tapers section could have something in the loaner program to test your DAT, It sure
sounds like bad mics to me, especially since it;s just the 1 channel. If you still have your MD,you could test the new mics there, too.

good luck, man!!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: New Stealth Mics, Need Help!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »

There's an advisory (customer service section) about purchasing 'pre-owned' DSM mics at: www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

First try cleaning both plug/recorder jack as discussed (connector maintenance) on page: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm

If still having problems, hold the plug steady while in record setup mode, and flex the cord along the length starting at the plug listening for large noises that indicate a wire short same place as you're flexing the cable.

BTW D100 will NOT operate DSM mics (without distortions) that do not have their own battery supply; ONLY Sharp MD have totally correct powering ability for DSM mics.  For more on DSM mic powering go to: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com