Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 97155 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 01:15:36 AM »
Ok help me understand the objective of removing the mic capsule from the body of the mic. Why do you guys want to do this so badly? I can think of a few reasons 1-sound the mic body will effect the sound of the mic. 2- Mic techniques that can be employed if the mics were smaller.. Am I missing anything else? if so please tell me what.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 02:12:47 AM »
Ok help me understand the objective of removing the mic capsule from the body of the mic. Why do you guys want to do this so badly? I can think of a few reasons 1-sound the mic body will effect the sound of the mic. 2- Mic techniques that can be employed if the mics were smaller.. Am I missing anything else? if so please tell me what.

#3 is save money.  Caps only are something like $400/pair, mics with bodies are something like $1200 a pair.  I bought just the caps, optimistic (?) that I could get something running...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 03:47:15 AM »

usually is to get mics smaller  so they would be mot seen ( in film business as i work and use schoepses with colet )

or could be placed in places where the long body cant sit at all  like on the boom when you work with very low ceilings , then you place the capsule only inside small suspention and get that extra 10 cm you dont have .

never thought about running directly to preamp with 60 v  but of course it is a good point for saving money .
just a tought,  did someone tried to take apart the swivel joints and make these as connectors ?
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »

#3 is save money.  Caps only are something like $400/pair, mics with bodies are something like $1200 a pair.  I bought just the caps, optimistic (?) that I could get something running...

Richard

I see there are a few preamps out there made by ACO pacific that are pretty cheap that will put out 60 volts polarization voltage they might be able to work with these caps. Do you have an AKG schematic of this mic body?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »

Richard

I see there are a few preamps out there made by ACO pacific that are pretty cheap that will put out 60 volts polarization voltage they might be able to work with these caps. Do you have an AKG schematic of this mic body?

Go to AKG tech support.  They have all service documentation online.  Look for C480 and C451.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
I for one, want to keep the bodies in the equation. 
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »
sorry to sound stupid but whats QFT mean?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 12:02:35 PM »
it would save lots of room and weight on large mic trees to only have a small bar mount and capsules. that is why i want em, and low visibility. at moe in mobile dre and myself ran two sets of full body akg's (with full metal SSm mounts) and one set of LD adk's. if we had actives the weight would have been more manageable.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
I believe it's
"Quite F-ing True"
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
I believe it's
"Quite F-ing True"

or Quoted For Truth.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »
thanks for the qft info guys
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bubbybooshay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

some people might want to see it a reality for stealthing  :-*
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »
did someone tried to take apart the swivel joints and make these as connectors ?

I think this would be the easiest solution, but I can't figure out how the swivel comes apart and I don't want to rip up my pair unless I know I can get it re-assembled in case it doesn't work out.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »
did someone tried to take apart the swivel joints and make these as connectors ?

I think this would be the easiest solution, but I can't figure out how the swivel comes apart and I don't want to rip up my pair unless I know I can get it re-assembled in case it doesn't work out.

Take the label off the side and it will reveal a screw.  It's just a thin metal plate with adhesive on it.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 11:25:29 AM »

size of rig and ease of set up and break down; when I am taping with my 480s next to a taper using caps and active cables I am always envious, since their rig is so small and can be assembled in just a minute or two; I am a true fan of the AKG in your face sound, but I'd love to tape without the bodies, and I'm not the only 460/480 taper who feels that way, not by a long shot

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com