Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: getting AKG caps callibrated??  (Read 8799 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
getting AKG caps callibrated??
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
TS-
I have 2 akg ck63 hypercardiod caps. one of the caps produces a significantly lower signal than the other. On the v3, I can get them to be equal if one is on gain 35 and the other on 60. Ive done tests of switching the bodies, switching the cables, using other mics to see if one v3 channel is just the only variable that is consistently bad news is the cap itself.

So, insteead of just eating a 300 plus dollar flub, I now have the idea of sending in both caps to aKG and getting them calibratred or adjusted or whateever. Has anyone done thiis and know the ptocedure, and just about how much it will cost.

[Phil Hartman]Rocketfuel malt liquor! Damn![/Phil Hartman]
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: getting AKG caps callibrated??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »
TS-
I have 2 akg ck63 hypercardiod caps. one of the caps produces a significantly lower signal than the other. On the v3, I can get them to be equal if one is on gain 35 and the other on 60. Ive done tests of switching the bodies, switching the cables, using other mics to see if one v3 channel is just the only variable that is consistently bad news is the cap itself.

So, insteead of just eating a 300 plus dollar flub, I now have the idea of sending in both caps to aKG and getting them calibratred or adjusted or whateever. Has anyone done thiis and know the ptocedure, and just about how much it will cost.

I meant to PM you about this.  Hit up leehookem he has sent his in to be calibrated.   Also all the folks i've asked about the problem are all coming back with a potential moisture problem.  Any ideas on that?

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »
TS-

I meant to PM you about this.  Hit up leehookem he has sent his in to be calibrated.   Also all the folks i've asked about the problem are all coming back with a potential moisture problem.  Any ideas on that?

As far as moisture, A) wouldnt it then affect both caps? perhaps not, Im still a mic n00b. and B) the foam stuffs inside the pelican case appear to be fine and firm. My old AKG mic cases had foam that was definately suspect, but the mics then came with the ck61 caps, and both ran fine.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »
damn Carl, thats quite the db diff

hope everything works out....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:29:22 PM »
Yeah, they should be closer than that.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 02:48:04 AM »
They should defiantly be closer.  My 63s along with most of the others are no more than a db off.  The worst is the 62s which are almost 1.5db apart which is sort of funny since the serials are almost consecutive and closer than the others.

As for moisture, the pelican cases are supposed to vent humidity type moisture from travel.  If somehow a cap got wet I could see a difference that would probably go away if it dried out.  Unless it was some sort of liquid that left a residue.

I'd do a search of the site... I remember seeing several posts maybe 6 months ago about cleaning caps.  While you may not want to goto the trouble of cleaning the caps I remember steps for drying them out afterwards.  I could be wrong but I think chris church and guy sonic were a big part of the thread I am remembering.

One note... I may be over cautious but I bought a crapload of silica gel packs for about $5 and keep them from  everything that comes with electronics I buy.  When storing my mics I place a pack directly on top of the cap before closing the case.  The packs absorb moisture from anything they are around.

(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:56:37 AM »
TS-

Your low output cap is bad.. anything more then 20 db is way out of spec. I would suggest at this point in time just asking if they can put a new diaphragm in the capsule or if it would be cheaper just to replace it all together.... It sounds like your capsule has a partial short in it. Calibrating a already bad mic is a waste of time.. You need to replace it.. Is the mic that is lower noisy?? does it make any sounds.. That are not part of the acoustic signal?

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:11:23 AM »
agreed...a few db off is normal.  20db is f*cked up, and badly.
I'd send it to someone for a look over, see what they have to say and then cross those bridges.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
A little background on the caps.  The caps came to me within a bigger sale.  After I got them I plugged them into the V3 to test just to make sue everything worked fine.  Powered up, made a few test files recording my home stereo.  Perfect working order.  I did not see if they were within a db of each other but I would have immediately noticed if they were anymore than 5db off since I had the V3 set at the same levels for both mics.  So at the very least they were within 5db of each other.   Yes I know how to use the V3, power on, power off, etc. 

I put them in the Pelican (1060 I think) wrapped them up in a ton of bubble wrap and they were off. Worked and verified when they left Texas. Carl got them a few days later.  I don't think he used them for the first time for a couple of months.   So I am really perplexed as well.  If it was moisture why would only one be affected?   Shipping and handling shouldn't have been a problem from the Pelican and the loads of bubble wrap I used. 

Otherwise I am stumped. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 12:47:42 PM »
A little background on the caps.  The caps came to me within a bigger sale.  After I got them I plugged them into the V3 to test just to make sue everything worked fine.  Powered up, made a few test files recording my home stereo.  Perfect working order.  I did not see if they were within a db of each other but I would have immediately noticed if they were anymore than 5db off since I had the V3 set at the same levels for both mics.  So at the very least they were within 5db of each other.   Yes I know how to use the V3, power on, power off, etc. 

I put them in the Pelican (1060 I think) wrapped them up in a ton of bubble wrap and they were off. Worked and verified when they left Texas. Carl got them a few days later.  I don't think he used them for the first time for a couple of months.   So I am really perplexed as well.  If it was moisture why would only one be affected?   Shipping and handling shouldn't have been a problem from the Pelican and the loads of bubble wrap I used. 

Otherwise I am stumped. 

Antistatic bubble wrap? I hope...... An open ended capsule is susceptible to static discharge... And that would make the capsule lose output sure as shit.

Chris

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »

Otherwise I am stumped. 

Antistatic bubble wrap? I hope...... An open ended capsule is susceptible to static discharge... And that would make the capsule lose output sure as shit.

Chris

The UPS Store bubble wrap.  The caps were secure in a closed and sealed Pelican case so I have ABSOLUTELY NO WORRIES about if the bubble wrap was antistatic or not.   Interesting thought though.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »

Otherwise I am stumped. 

Chris

The UPS Store bubble wrap.  The caps were secure in a closed and sealed Pelican case so I have ABSOLUTELY NO WORRIES about if the bubble wrap was antistatic or not.   Interesting thought though.

Well if the capsules were fine before they shipped and now after there were shipped I would suspect the lack of static protection on the capsules as being a possibility. The other possibility is heat. It can deform the capsule diaphragm and cause it to lose output... I am just throwing some ideas around...
And the pelican case does not have antistatic foam... Unless you replaced it. were the capsules not attached to the mic body or did you sell just the capsules?

Chris

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »
Well if the capsules were fine before they shipped and now after there were shipped I would suspect the lack of static protection on the capsules as being a possibility. The other possibility is heat. It can deform the capsule diaphragm and cause it to lose output... I am just throwing some ideas around...
And the pelican case does not have antistatic foam... Unless you replaced it. were the capsules not attached to the mic body or did you sell just the capsules?

Chris

Just the caps.   On the static issue I take that kinda of like how you took the cable issue.  Snake oil.  I followed the thread about the foam but in all the discussion here and on other forums I could not find one true instance of the static from a Pelican case causing problems.   Several people started freaking out about the static foam issue but not one had that cause the problem.  So theoretically we assume it could happen but until there is an actual case or a pattern I am skeptical of static.  Static to me is just the current buzz word right now.

My initial thoughts were more towards cable issues (cold solder joint, bend/pinch in the cable, etc.) or possibly the phantom not kicking in on the V3.  Again just shooting ideas around.

EDIT: Regarding heat I do not know the process UPS puts their packages through nor do I know how they were handled upon arrival.  I know Carl was in the process of moving at the time so.....

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 01:18:26 PM »

Chris

Just the caps.   On the static issue I take that kinda of like how you took the cable issue.  Snake oil.  I followed the thread about the foam but in all the discussion here and on other forums I could not find one true instance of the static from a Pelican case causing problems.   Several people started freaking out about the static foam issue but not one had that cause the problem.  So theoretically we assume it could happen but until there is an actual case or a pattern I am skeptical of static.  Static to me is just the current buzz word right now.

My initial thoughts were more towards cable issues (cold solder joint, bend/pinch in the cable, etc.) or possibly the phantom not kicking in on the V3.  Again just shooting ideas around.

EDIT: Regarding heat I do not know the process UPS puts their packages through nor do I know how they were handled upon arrival.  I know Carl was in the process of moving at the time so.....

One way to find out how much static is "snake oil" build up a nice static charge and touch the center pin on one of your nice capsules.. We will see whats snake oil or not :) I never said all cables were snake oil. I just got some from Nickspicks and they are quite nice. And I do like the sound of them... I dont make this stuff up... :) I would say that just because no one has found a static discharge to create problems.. Does not mean it has not happened... How does one know when a capsule goes bad all of a sudden that the problem has not been static discharge?? Also one simple test would be to switch the capsules from one body to another if the low output follows the capsule.. Well then its the capsule not a pinched wire or bad phantom power. Just my two cents..

Chris

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »

I would say that just because no one has found a static discharge to create problems.. Does not mean it has not happened... How does one know when a capsule goes bad all of a sudden that the problem has not been static discharge?? Also one simple test would be to switch the capsules from one body to another if the low output follows the capsule.. Well then its the capsule not a pinched wire or bad phantom power.

I totally agree with all the above.   The static issue is just one that I would like to see a verified case of it first. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com