Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to use to clamp 15FT mic stand to amphitheater seats, sugggestions needed  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Honestly I figure that with people throwing up on the floor, spilling drinks all over the place, stomping out cigarette butts, probably ashing on the seats, standing in the seats,etc...that a little tape residue on the metal back of a seat isn't really that big a deal. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough to the venues needs. I'm definitely not so fucking stupid as to put duct tape on dry wall. (slight edit)

The difference with all those other negatives is that they're not expressly linked to a specific population (tapers), but rather the general population.  Not many concerts I attend include people vomiting on the floor, spilling drinks everywhere (well...a bit of that), stomping out butts, etc., (you must tape in a bunch of shitholes!), so I try to tread lightly since the backdrop for my actions isn't as severe as the ones you mention.  While in the grand scheme of things a little sticky residue isn't a huge deal to most, I prefer to leave no footprint at all, if possible.  Spending a few extra bucks on quality gaffers tape is a small price for me to pay to reduce my risk of pissing off the venue.  And you beat me to it with your follow-up comment:

Edit: Whatever you use, make sure you take it with you when you leave.

Anyway...apologies if I came across harsh...I just thought of a newbie finding the comment "I don't worry too much about..." and extending that sentiment farther than it should go, and wanted to plug my $0.02.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Corbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone know where you can buy gaffer's tape online?  I went to the largest hardware store in my city and asked them if they had gaffer's tape and they said that they had never heard of it.  What the hell is a gaffer anyway?

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Anyone know where you can buy gaffer's tape online?  I went to the largest hardware store in my city and asked them if they had gaffer's tape and they said that they had never heard of it.  What the hell is a gaffer anyway?

I ordered some from Markertek recently.

AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
I pretty much use gaff tape for cable runs only.

If I'm securing a stand up, I'll use compression straps (ballistic nylon straps and velcro) and sandbags.
I use these type of straps all the time:
http://bearep.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=663

Moke, I'm taping my first outdoor festival in two weeks...Do you think sandbags are better to use than tent spikes and rope?  I think sandbags would be easier than screwing around with pegs each time I switch stages...Where did you get a sandbag that would rest properly on the legs of a mic stand?

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
Thanks for the info Moke.  I think I'm gonna track a couple down or make a couple before that weekend.  Would you use 3 (one one each 'horizontal' leg) or just one bigger one?  What kinds of places sell them?  I don't think there is a 'stage supply' company where I live.

Also, if things got a bit hairy, do you really think it's more stable than pegs (i was gonna use 4 of them)?  I don't want to screw up my mics and regret not using pegs because I was just too lazy to deal with it all weekend.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
zip ties are also a great unobtrusive option as long as you have a way to break them when the night is over (not ideal for places that won't let you bring a jackknife in).

Solution: Nail clippers. I keep a pair at the bottom of the bag for exactly this reason.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)

I found markertek's tape selection to be limited and pricey.  Recently ordered from these guys and they were cheap and fast. I ended up going with 1" tape since I usually divide the 2" anyway..

http://www.thetapeworks.com

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
zip ties are also a great unobtrusive option as long as you have a way to break them when the night is over (not ideal for places that won't let you bring a jackknife in).

Solution: Nail clippers. I keep a pair at the bottom of the bag for exactly this reason.

good call!  I'll be keeping nail clippers in my gear bag now, too.  +T

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Def. going to buy some long zip ties along and will start carrying some nail clippers. In addition, I do have to say that I never leave home without gaffers tape. Sure it is expensive, but I am a No Trace taper and would prefer not ruining any chairs, walls, rails with duct tape. Will try and zip tie whenever possible. As far as tent staking, the problem I have had trying to drive the stakes into the ground. So, I thought buying one of these below and cutting half of it might work. All you would need would be a screw driver to drive it and a couple of small bungee cords or a nylon straps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com