Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 - Which grid to use??  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Hman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA 4061 - Which grid to use??
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »
Tommorrow and Friday I'm going to see The Police in Amsterdam. I'd like to tape both shows in stealth mode. I'm using DPA 4061 mics..
The concerts will be @ the Amsterdam ArenA (Ajax ArenA), a football stadium 'famous' for it's acoustics. The sound is, in general, not very good. Other thing is, this venue is suffering from a 'stadium-syndrome', meaning the concrete-construction is 'eating' the bass.

Most of the time I'm using my DPA 4061 without any screens, but I was thinking on upgrading the lower frequencies a bit (at least, what's left of it). Should I use the Soft Boost Grid or the High Boost Grid?? DPA gives this info on them:

- Soft boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz; 3 dB soft boost at 8 - 20 kHz
- High boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz; ±2 dB, 10 dB boost at 12 kHz

Would one of the these screens be good for me in this situation, or is it better to use none??

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: DPA 4061 - Which grid to use??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:27:19 AM »
Shorter screen with less boost seems more (better) in this case. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »

Ok, that would mean I should take the Soft boost grid.. Only thing is, it's the Higher/larger screen.. ???
Look at the dpa-site.. www.dpamicrophones.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:09:18 AM »

Ok, that would mean I should take the Soft boost grid.. Only thing is, it's the Higher/larger screen.. ???
Look at the dpa-site.. www.dpamicrophones.com

It's actually the shorter (barrel section) screen as shown in the graph from the site.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
I´ll tape THE POLICE in Vienna next week with DPA4060´s. The venue can be really bad sounding IF the soundguy is on acid or other steroids HAHA..almost no low-frequencies at some concerts I attended in the past.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:38 AM »
Neither grid has a substantial effect on the low frequencies.  I'd use them without grids, then EQ in post to your tastes.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »
Neither grid has a substantial effect on the low frequencies.  I'd use them without grids, then EQ in post to your tastes.

seconded
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »
as far as venue acoustics, do whatever you have to do to get into the 'sweet spot' (generally at the point of a equilateral triangle with the two stacks and your spot in the crowd as the poits of the triangle. Or just inside this. Generally anywhere its really LOUD with decent imaging
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline used-to-tape-alot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:26:44 AM »
I'll 3rd the no grids option. 

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:10:33 AM »
You are suffering from lack of bass, then why boost highs with those grids? That is basically same as lowering the bass levels even more relative to the highs.

= no grids

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:33 PM »
When you remove the grid the mic is not flat... The grid is a way of controlling the polar pattern on the microphone and adding high frequency correction. There is a "flat" response grid that is used on the 4090, I have not seen this grid anywhere and I wonder if it is even available separately. But removing the grid means you lose top end around the 14-20k region. DPA like Sennhieser uses a cap as a means of acoustic equalization and correction for the capsule. That’s because it’s pretty hard to find such a small capsule that will be flat to 20k with out using some sort of correction. This is also the basic principal behind Earthworks that’s how they take a $4.00 capsule and make it flat. So when you look at the cap the longer the cap is the more high frequency correction is going (boost)

Chris

More in this post
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,59502.0/all.html

I personally would use the low boost cap.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:35:35 PM by TheMaestro »
Venue Security: Let me see your identification.
TheMaestro: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.
Venue Security: We don't need to see his identification.
TheMaestro: This isn't the recording equipment you're looking for.
Venue Security: This isn't the recording equipment we're looking for.
TheMaestro: He can go about his business.
Venue Security: You can go about your business.
TheMaestro: Move along.
Venue Security: Move along... move along.

Online Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
So when would the soft or high boost grids be used?
Could I have a few senarios? 
I actually have the DPA-4060 mics and I mostly tape large arena concerts but will do smaller venues
if needed of course. I will do several STADIUM U2 shows this year as well.....any ideas?

Thanks,
Datfly
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:07:11 AM by Datfly »
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »
actually, the dpa omnis are probably not a good choice for large arena shows, you will get a lot of crowd noise no matter which grids you use, unless you can get close to a stack. as to grids or no grids, I use the shorter grids on 4061's all the time to provide protection for the mic elements.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
Sonically, I suggest using the short grids in almost every situation. The only exception I might make to that is placing these mics on-stage, close to bright acoustic sources such as cymbals or brass.  Protection-wise it is always advisable to use the grids.  From AUD distances I would use them without a second thought and would still probably selectively boost upper mids and possibly top end with EQ regardless of what EQ the low end calls for.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify..... do you mean the shorter screen top or the shorter barrel ?
Also when people suggest no grids does this imply to have just the naked gold top showing on the mic?

Thanks,
Datfly

Sonically, I suggest using the short grids in almost every situation. The only exception I might make to that is placing these mics on-stage, close to bright acoustic sources such as cymbals or brass.  Protection-wise it is always advisable to use the grids.  From AUD distances I would use them without a second thought and would still probably selectively boost upper mids and possibly top end with EQ regardless of what EQ the low end calls for.
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:08 PM »
I am with GB, and DPA, for using the grids regardless.  The high boost are for lavalier work, the low boost for regular work.  If it is still too bright, fix it in post.  But get some grit of dust on those mics and they will sound different, and not better.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:31:05 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
Just to clarify..... do you mean the shorter screen top or the shorter barrel ?
Also when people suggest no grids does this imply to have just the naked gold top showing on the mic?

Short grid = low boost = short barrel w/more screen showing
Long grid = peaky high boost = long barrel w/flush or nearly-so screen at end
No grid = naked gold rectangular inner capsule housing with small holes on one side to inner diaphragm element
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
Tommorrow and Friday I'm going to see The Police in Amsterdam. I'd like to tape both shows in stealth mode. I'm using DPA 4061 mics..
The concerts will be @ the Amsterdam ArenA (Ajax ArenA), a football stadium 'famous' for it's acoustics. The sound is, in general, not very good. Other thing is, this venue is suffering from a 'stadium-syndrome', meaning the concrete-construction is 'eating' the bass.

Most of the time I'm using my DPA 4061 without any screens, but I was thinking on upgrading the lower frequencies a bit (at least, what's left of it). Should I use the Soft Boost Grid or the High Boost Grid?? DPA gives this info on them:

- Soft boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz; 3 dB soft boost at 8 - 20 kHz
- High boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz; ±2 dB, 10 dB boost at 12 kHz

Would one of the these screens be good for me in this situation, or is it better to use none??

FWIW I also posted about a similar topic on here and was told by many wiser people than I that running without grids in an uncontrolled (i.e., not mounted, at a rock concert) live recording environment was a bad idea.  As others have said, if you get some dust or something in those mics or otherwise damage them, they are going to be expensive to replace.  You're talking about making a stealth rock show tape here, not recording the symphony orchestra. Whatever benefit, real or perceived, of not running with grids exists (or doesn't exist), it will be eliminated by the much higher risk of damage to the mics from running without grids. 

Since then, I've used my 4061s with the "soft boost" (more screen showing) grids every time and am generally pleased with the slight peak to the high freq and the overall response.  I don't tape many stadium shows, though, and as a general rule, I agree it will be harder for you to achieve an ideal recording using these mics in that environment. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com