Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sennheiser Active Setup  (Read 86909 times)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Sennheiser Active Setup
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »
Wrong - they are out there now.

Sennheiser are delivering the MKH 8020, 8030 and 8040 in both mono and stereo kits now.

Tell that to Full Discount and to The Music People. Both tell me 4-6 weeks for delivery from Sennheiser.
In any case, I can't afford a pair right now anyway, so I'll wait 'til one of you guys get a pair to hear them in action.
Who has them in stock, John?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:18 PM »
I believe Ian White on this board has a pair of the MKH800.

And so do I, as well as a pair each of MKH 20, 30 ad 40.  8)

nice! i've got some vintage 441's, 421's, 431's, and 816 shotguns.
i also have some of the newer "e" series stuff, which isn't nearly as nice as the older mics.

Yup, I have these too - 421, original 431 Mk.I and 441 and a very rare pair of 816F + a few Neumann, AKG and Calrecs floating around.

The e series are nice and very consistent - made automatically at about a quarter of the price you would pay if it was made in the traditional way.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 05:26:14 PM »

Sennheiser USA should have them ex-stock - they are certainly available from Germany, unless they are selling out faster than they can make them.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »

Sennheiser USA should have them ex-stock - they are certainly available from Germany, unless they are selling out faster than they can make them.

Well, I'm tellin' ya, Sennheiser may be shipping these to dealers (perhaps), but major wholesalers don't have 'em in stock yet.
I just called two of them (Music People and Full Discount) less than a week ago inquiring about stock, and they both told me the same thing.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »

Yup, I have these too - 421, original 431 Mk.I and 441 and a very rare pair of 816F + a few Neumann, AKG and Calrecs floating around.

whenever you decide you want to unload some Calrecs, I'm sure Dirk (TNJazz) or myself would love to pick up a pair  ;)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 02:50:58 AM »
Well, I'm tellin' ya, Sennheiser may be shipping these to dealers (perhaps), but major wholesalers don't have 'em in stock yet.
I just called two of them (Music People and Full Discount) less than a week ago inquiring about stock, and they both told me the same thing.

Ring Sennheiser USA and ask, they should be able to tell you exactly what is available and when.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2007, 02:52:05 AM »
whenever you decide you want to unload some Calrecs, I'm sure Dirk (TNJazz) or myself would love to pick up a pair  ;)

I was thinking about it at one time, but decided to keep the trusty 2050s in the kit.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 11:44:02 AM »
Mainly posting just to track this thread, but I pulled this info out of Senn's literature in case anyone is curious about the symmetrical design and RF design that John W spoke about:

The Operating Principle of the Radio Frequency Condenser Microphone
RF condenser microphones constitute a unique, sophisticated class of condenser microphones. Unlike standard condenser microphones, which require a high polarization voltage for the capsule, RF condenser microphones use a comparatively low RF voltage generated by a low-noise oscillator. This voltage is modulated by the changes in capacitance produced by the sound waves that move the capsule diaphragm. Following the demodulation, a low-noise audio frequency signal with very low source impedance is available, and this can be used to directly drive bipolar transistors that produce less random noise than the field-effect transistors usually needed. As a result, RF condenser microphones have a wide dynamic range and an excellent low frequency response even with small capsules, which would normally only be possible using larger capsules. In addition, small capsules achieve a considerably better high frequency response than large capsules. A further benefit of RF condenser microphones is that, although the capsule is grounded, they possess a genuine fully floating, balanced output without the need to use a transformer.

Sennheiser’s Revolutionary Symmetrical Microphone Capsule
Sennheiser’s RF condenser microphones have a unique symmetrical push-pull transducer. Besides the normal back plate, this capsule is fitted with an additional front plate, with the diaphragm positioned between these acoustically transparent plates. The result of this balanced design is an unchanging acoustic impedance, extremely low distortion figures, a higher capsule output with much lower noise and thus a very clear signal.

Special symmetrical capsule: The MKH capsules incorporate a symmetrical design with the diaphragm located between the normal back plate and an additional, identical front plate. This design provides both acoustical and electrical symmetry and is the most powerful way to eliminate transducer non-linearity and accompanied harmonic and intermodulation distortion. Their unique symmetrical construction enables the MKH microphones to pick up subtleties in the music lost to other microphones – for instance, the subtle harmonics in unaccompanied choir, the complex sound patterns of a 12-string guitar and much more… Superb Sennheiser engineering has kept the diaphragm size the same as the original symmetrical capsule series, despite the much smaller size of the new series, ensuring that small size does not mean any reduction in quality.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:42 PM »
You may also find this Q&A on the RF principle useful:-

Question:

Can anybody give me a quick explanation of why RF modulated microphones are less susceptible to humidity problems than are AF microphones?

Answer:

Basically, AF capacitor microphones use the capsule as a capacitor to store charge.  With one fixed plate and the other free to vibrate in sympathy with the sound, the capacitance varies, and the charge moves in or out of the capsule accordingly.  This is measured by the head preamplifier and an audio signal results.  All well and good, but the capsule is inherently in a high impedance circuit (over 1Giga) – it has to sit there with stored charge until the diaphragm moves and any changes in the charge are perceived as audio. In a humid atmosphere the stored charge finds it easier to escape on water molecules in the air rather than through the input of the preamplifier, hence noisy and reduced output, and misery all round.  The high biasing voltage also attracts dust particles to the diaphragm, reducing its efficiency and linearity.

The RF system (as used in Sennheiser MKH microphones) uses the capsule (a low impedance capsule) in a completely different way: as a tuning capacitor for an RF oscillator – which inherently employs it in a low impedance circuit where a high frequency signal is being passed through the capacitor all the time.  Changes in capacitance (caused by sound moving the diaphragm) alter the resonant frequency of the circuit (circa 8MHz) and so its frequency becomes proportional to the audio signal.  A simple RF demodulator restores the output to a conventional audio signal.  More complex and sophisticated (but still very rugged), this system is highly immune to the effects of humidity and is thus the preferred design to be used out of doors (or when moving from outside to inside on a cold day!).

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2007, 09:12:18 AM »

I was thinking about it at one time, but decided to keep the trusty 2050s in the kit.

I'm here if you ever change your mind!   ;D

I have seen a few singles here and there on occasion, and Ashley Stiles has one at the moment as well.  I guess I'm just a sucker for a nice pair though... >:D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
I'm here if you ever change your mind!   ;D

I have seen a few singles here and there on occasion, and Ashley Stiles has one at the moment as well.  I guess I'm just a sucker for a nice pair though... >:D

I'm a sucker for a nice pair too

/oh wait, you are talkin 'bout microphones
//nevermind

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »
I am going to give the new Senn's a try... 

These will be shipped in the DPA Case with all Accessories including the original DPA Frequency Matching Papers.

The Mics are approx 2yrs old and in mint condition.  Only used in smoke free studio and smoke free SoCal locations.

New these run approx $3100

Shiped to your door 2-day = $2350  (if pay pal please add appropriately)

Pictures to follow.  Contact via PM please...

CQBert

Hopefully this guy comes through with an upped show. I am anxious to hear them.

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »
I will find something to record and get it out....  They should arrive later this week...

I may need some help from someone to get it out there as I am traveling a good bit... happy to send a master if someone can help..

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
I will find something to record and get it out....  They should arrive later this week...

I may need some help from someone to get it out there as I am traveling a good bit... happy to send a master if someone can help..

CQBert

who has these in stock?!?
all the wholesalers i deal with aren't shipping them yet.
glad someone took the leap. can't wait to hear 'em.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com