Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 3  (Read 102275 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
Re: AKG Active Project part 3
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
+t for your trouble. Bad luck comes in threes...so you're all set now.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »
Sorry to hear of the bad luck Neil.  Happy holidays and hopes for the better things coming...  :cheers:

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
2008 check in and back to the 1st page.... :)

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
this has noy died - just overwhelmed with house repair projects. first parts order going in on monday. will post again soon.

nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

easy jim

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
Right on Neil!

Alchemy

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
I've had this burning question for a while. It is very "noob" worthy, so if you are an expert, you will definitely want to pass this up to avoid frustration.

I know for a fact I saw about a year ago in the "Rig Pictures" section someone running what I would call an "AKG actives cable". The rig pictured was 2 AKG 63 caps > 3 wire battery box > iRiver h120. The cable did not enclose the mics, you could tell that it was screwed on to the bottom of the cap. The termination was mini-XLR. It was an AKG part. So my question is, why wouldn't that work for this sort of project? Does it have to do with the physical design of being "screwed on" instead of enclosed?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
To the best of my knowledge nothing exists like you are remembering it. The AKG ck93 capsules can be run with only a battery box and this has been built before by illconditioned I think. The ck63 capsules can be used with a JKlabs box but require special cables that were only made by JKlabs. I don't think they used mini-xlr terminations however. I think they used 4 pin binder connections. The MBHO actives use mini-xlr cables, but require the body and can't be run from a battery box. The only AKG cables were for the ck93 and ck3x capsules. The ck3x capsules are no longer in production and I believe require the AKG c460 body for powering, although you might be able to hack them similar to the ck93. My guess is that you saw the JKlabs box previously owned by ToddR. JKlabs machined his cables well and they look like they might be made by AKG although they aren't. At least one other person has machined a similar cable, but the difficulty is in the electronics design inside the cable.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

easy jim

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
I talked to Neil (esteyes) earlier today and he should be posting an update soon.  I'll let him put it in his own words (since I do not understand > half the technical side); the gist is design progress but delays in getting parts (specifically Lemo).

Alchemy

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
johnw, thank you for that very informative post. After quite a bit of searching, I found the original thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,71622.msg959076.html#msg959076

...and of course, they are CK93 capsules, not the 63s. Thanks, I can finally put that to rest. +T

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »
greetings all, it has been a while. here is where things stand. i am waiting for a response from Lemo on my connector and triax quote (it's been three weeks)  >:(. i am waiting for my new order of xlr and mini xlr cable. most of the design work is finished, well at least the first round... i am still working out some of the mechanical issues so that i am satisfied with the mechanicals. i have some things around the house to complete and then i will focus on this project. no metalwork has been done yet as i have been mulling over ways to make everything simple, clean and easy to manufacture.

i expect the first items out will be a "new" MK46 cable for the 460 and CK6x caps as well as 460 and CKxX caps. then the 480 versions will follow. lastly a 451 version as well as a bodyless version - ie caps into your deck.

i have one request, if anyone can take a picture of the capsule end of a 480 body maybe they could post it or mail it to me. i am looking to see the end of the 480 body where the cap screws onto the body - a nice good closeup would be cool.

it is interesting to note that in the schematics for the 480 they show the bias ring as well as the bias circuit.... wondering if there is a bias ring and if there is, why doesn't it work? did they just leave out a resistor or two?? to that end, has anyone taken a 480 apart and taken good pix of the top and bottom of the circuit board? seems to me i remember seeing them somewhere a while ago... if so, can you point me to the pix, please?

thanx in advance
neil
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline Hatfield

• blue light is rolling in between the clouds
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
greetings all, it has been a while. here is where things stand. i am waiting for a response from Lemo on my connector and triax quote (it's been three weeks)  >:(. i am waiting for my new order of xlr and mini xlr cable. most of the design work is finished, well at least the first round... i am still working out some of the mechanical issues so that i am satisfied with the mechanicals. i have some things around the house to complete and then i will focus on this project. no metalwork has been done yet as i have been mulling over ways to make everything simple, clean and easy to manufacture.

i expect the first items out will be a "new" MK46 cable for the 460 and CK6x caps as well as 460 and CKxX caps. then the 480 versions will follow. lastly a 451 version as well as a bodyless version - ie caps into your deck.

i have one request, if anyone can take a picture of the capsule end of a 480 body maybe they could post it or mail it to me. i am looking to see the end of the 480 body where the cap screws onto the body - a nice good closeup would be cool.

it is interesting to note that in the schematics for the 480 they show the bias ring as well as the bias circuit.... wondering if there is a bias ring and if there is, why doesn't it work? did they just leave out a resistor or two?? to that end, has anyone taken a 480 apart and taken good pix of the top and bottom of the circuit board? seems to me i remember seeing them somewhere a while ago... if so, can you point me to the pix, please?

thanx in advance
neil

Will this work good enough for ya?

AKG 480+ (ck61,ck62,ck63) > Oade m148 > SD 722
AKG (ck61,ck62,ck63) > JKLabs ECMS-22 > SD722
Where'd I go, why'd I go, I don't know, musta been zydeco  :spin:
uh....Martin, you are in charge of all handjobs and blowjobs.
see rule 26 in the Dirty South manual.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 12:15:55 AM »
THANX Hatfield!

so 480's DO have the bias ring. does anyone know if it has voltage on it? it should be ~13v DC measured between the case and the ring.

even if it doesn't have the bias resistors, the fact that it has the ring means it could be brought to life if it isn't alive now which makes running 480's with an MK46 soooo much easier to do.

thanx
neil
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »
THANX Hatfield!

so 480's DO have the bias ring. does anyone know if it has voltage on it? it should be ~13v DC measured between the case and the ring.

even if it doesn't have the bias resistors, the fact that it has the ring means it could be brought to life if it isn't alive now which makes running 480's with an MK46 soooo much easier to do.

thanx
neil

you could try asking richard land (land audio aka akg usa service guy) some of these questions.  just a thought.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline greppson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
i am excited about reading this (and the other threads) for the first time now that i own some 480s. :)
Jason
AKG 480 ck61/63 > nBob actives > Marantz ACM 671/Sound Devices MixPre 6 ii

Archive.org Shows
www.greppson.net

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
ok, so i have gotten the design stuff all figured out. the first version i will make will take the CK6x caps and make them remoteable from the 460 bodies ala MK46. the adapter will screw on to the cap and the cable will be fixed. the adapter for the body will also screw on, but i an thinking of putting a connection at this point as the mechanicals for the bias ring contact are not as sturdy as the akg method. well, i think they will be just fine, but i always think a little paranoid... i think that way the system will break down nice and easy and the point with the highest possibility of failure will used the least - that should contribute to long life. i will likely do 5m cables between cap and body.

i think i will either look into making the A60 adapter ring or just go forward and make the CKx adapter at the same time. that way the CKx caps could be put to use with the 460's.

the real issue for me right now is $$. i'm unemployed again and my wife is finally working, but only pulling in 50% of her usual salary. so all the cash goes for bills these days. no different than the rest of the world... but, it looks like later this month my friend will loan me the $$ to do all the machine work and a run of both boards... i'll let you all know as soon as the fun starts.

thoughts?

also, has anybody any knowledge of any pictures of the 480 internals? i would really like to see the cap end from the top and the bottom.

neil
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com