Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 3  (Read 102282 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG Active Project part 3
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:03 PM »
I'm thinking this will happen before an active project gets done

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
Subject change:  "AKG Inactive Project Part 3"  :P

Stuff happens...  Doing a proto is not easy but doing mfg is really a bear.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »
^ well, he was about to do a prototype when all the life stuff took the forefront.  I ought to be in touch with him soon, and will give a gentle ribbing...

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2008, 06:37:13 PM »
I think we owe a little respect to the people that have the brainpower to work on this.  It's on their time and money (unless some of you sent him money, in which case that's a different story...)

On the other hand, I think perhaps if someone has a design and then runs out of time, money, energy, it might be good to make design public, others can look at it and maybe it will come to fruition.

I've also been thinking it would be much easier to use a CK1/CK3 cap and build something like a "chopped Nak" into some AT phantom adapters or CA9100 then it would be to do the whole 460/480 > CK61 deal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:48:52 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »
No one is down on those that want to give it a try Joe but i've  personally been around the block several times with different parties who have attempted to contribute to this endeavor.   

For me I will be shocked if this comes anywhere close to fruition but I do hold out hope that maybe one day.  Many have tried but many more have given up.

Also I truly feel that if someone really thinks the person or persons that one day may develop an active system would give anything away to the public for free is kidding themselves.  The fact of the matter is that the people that I dealt with several years ago who probably all could do this want to make a profit and also retain ownership of the design.  Its always the people like me who have no clue what they're doing that want the designs out there for free.   

Offline TaperBryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
on hold - i think Neil has had some other stuff he's had to deal with so priorities took over

Yes.  Both Neil and his wife have been hard hit by the economic implosion, and they have 4 kids, so other priorities have taken precedent.  I'd expect this to get back on the front burner again for him, but it may not be for a while into the new year.

I don't know Neil or his wife personally.  But, I do wish them (and anyone else affected by the current shape of the economy) the best of luck. 

09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
No one is down on those that want to give it a try Joe but i've  personally been around the block several times with different parties who have attempted to contribute to this endeavor.   

For me I will be shocked if this comes anywhere close to fruition but I do hold out hope that maybe one day.  Many have tried but many more have given up.

Also I truly feel that if someone really thinks the person or persons that one day may develop an active system would give anything away to the public for free is kidding themselves.  The fact of the matter is that the people that I dealt with several years ago who probably all could do this want to make a profit and also retain ownership of the design.  Its always the people like me who have no clue what they're doing that want the designs out there for free.   

I didn't invent the idea, but I posted a schematic (not copying, but designed myself) a looong time ago.  I was pursuing this, but got sidetracked because I really *prefer* the omni sound.  There is no magic here *at all*.  It is just a matter of being good at the mechanical aspects.  For example, I bet someone like Chris Church could build this if he were so inclined.  I just don't think anyone here is motivated.  Maybe we should ask Chris again  >:D.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »
I guess I'm a little naiive at times.  I am a huge fan of Free and Open Source Software where the idea is to come up with ideas and give them away and everyone builds on each others foundation, and the world advances in general because of it.  If I could create something like this active system, I would definitely give away the details.  I happen to have the luxury of a good paying job as an engineer and I can live off that, and I don't try to make money in my spare time.  I spend a lot of time fixing computers and cars for people, and doing simple things like digimodding UA-5's and I don't want to get paid for that, that's hobby, not work.  I make this clear delineation between work and hobby, and I sometimes forget that other people do not.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
  I make this clear delineation between work and hobby, and I sometimes forget that other people do not.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Remember that to some and potentially the person who does manufacturer an active system that project may be their job in addition to it being their hobby. In my experiences I was able to discuss different aspects of this endeavor with a half dozen people who could or have built different pieces to this puzzle.  In all but one instance each person/group wanted some assurances that they were making some money on the deal.    Time and labor were the common reasons.   

I believe some of the biggest differences of this project when compared to say 3wire battery boxes or franken Nak's are  1. the price differences in capsules  2. The demand that such an active system would generate.  3.  The sharp differences people have within the AKG community as to exactly what type of active system they want

As AKG owners we all know or should know that the bodies 460 and 480 play such an important role in the overall sound of the capsules.  I prefer the 480's but I know there are others who prefer the 460's.  Those differences alone make this type of project a son of a bitch to start.  Then you have to decide do you just want to use the caps ala JKLabs or do you want the bodies in the mix ala Neumann, Schoeps and MBHO?   

Just saying "I'll take anything" seems to me like we're just running some AKG active system to run it and not because it gives us the benefits that most of us are looking for.   Small profile only goes so far if it doesn't sound right.

It is always easier to pitch in a few bucks for someone else to make this happen than it is to be that someone making it happen.   

just my $0.03

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
  I make this clear delineation between work and hobby, and I sometimes forget that other people do not.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Remember that to some and potentially the person who does manufacturer an active system that project may be their job in addition to it being their hobby. In my experiences I was able to discuss different aspects of this endeavor with a half dozen people who could or have built different pieces to this puzzle.  In all but one instance each person/group wanted some assurances that they were making some money on the deal.    Time and labor were the common reasons.   

I believe some of the biggest differences of this project when compared to say 3wire battery boxes or franken Nak's are  1. the price differences in capsules  2. The demand that such an active system would generate.  3.  The sharp differences people have within the AKG community as to exactly what type of active system they want

As AKG owners we all know or should know that the bodies 460 and 480 play such an important role in the overall sound of the capsules.  I prefer the 480's but I know there are others who prefer the 460's.  Those differences alone make this type of project a son of a bitch to start.  Then you have to decide do you just want to use the caps ala JKLabs or do you want the bodies in the mix ala Neumann, Schoeps and MBHO?   

Just saying "I'll take anything" seems to me like we're just running some AKG active system to run it and not because it gives us the benefits that most of us are looking for.   Small profile only goes so far if it doesn't sound right.

It is always easier to pitch in a few bucks for someone else to make this happen than it is to be that someone making it happen.   

just my $0.03

I think one main difference is the materials cost.  For software projects, you can download something for free and start hacking.  For hardware, you need to have the parts, in this case, the capsules, before you will start.  Then you need access to bench equipment, etc.  This narrows down the field considerably.  Finally, the people here are probably too old!  Most of the open source software starts with very young people, who have time (read, no social life), and nothing better to do.  Wait a minute, I think I just described some of the folks here, lol!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
The other question is what is the motivation?   'cheap actives' is not a motivator for me.  I already have schoeps actives (kc5+cmc6 & RMOD) and if I thought 402x's would do a better job, I'd own them.  So I myself am not inclined to work on something that won't be better than what I already have.  I think MG's might be interesting but I also have serious doubts about their brightness in a typically narrow active config.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »
So I myself am not inclined to work on something that won't be better than what I already have. 

Kind of my take too.  Once I got to like Beyerdynamic MC930 my interest in the AKG 46x/48x decreased.  I must admit, I'm again aquiring a taste for the 463's I've been using in an "installed" rig...

Richard

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
So I myself am not inclined to work on something that won't be better than what I already have. 

Kind of my take too.  Once I got to like Beyerdynamic MC930 my interest in the AKG 46x/48x decreased.  I must admit, I'm again aquiring a taste for the 463's I've been using in an "installed" rig...

That said, someday I would like to experiment with making, or at least mounting, my own diaphragms.  Seriously questionable whether I could ever do better than DPA/Schoeps but surely an interesting challenge that might be rather satisfying..  It also gets back to the question of what you really want to sped your time on - hunched over a bench tinkering, recording and enjoying live music or 'other'.  Increasingly, it is other.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
I was searching for D50 pics and stumbled across this...haven't seen it before.  It would appear to be quite bulky for our uses but seemed pretty cool.  Not really 'actives' though. 

Found here:  http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/shomarin/diary/200711260000/
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:37:17 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com