Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 3  (Read 102286 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: AKG Active Project part 3
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
It looks as if that big bulky box below isn't necessity right.
ust need something to house that board in and a longer lead out from box to cap via 4-conductor
cable it seems ???
Interesting find.
+t

MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
^^^ Yes, interesting find!

There are schematics there as well, but I could not find anything with a FET in it.  I think it was just schematics for the power supply.

As I've said earlier, the circuit is not hard, even with batteries.  The problem is getting "collettes" with a good fit to the capsule.  That is, mechanical problems...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
is it just me or is there seem like no way that the cap is connected?
the threads on the cap need to go "into" the body or whatever you use
in the picture it seems like the cap goes down to the AKG name Branding and stops i don't see anything "over" the threads holding it in place
so i assume the threads are actually built into the silver box and the cap "drops" into it
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:51:27 AM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »
is it just me or is there seem like no way that the cap is connected?
the threads on the cap need to go "into" the body or whatever you use
in the picture it seems like the cap goes down to the AKG name Branding and stops i don't see anything "over" the threads holding it in place
so i assume the threads are actually built into the silver box and the cap "drops" into it
My guess is the cap screws into the metal at the top.
The center pin is (probably) soldered or clipped, and the wire runs down to the board. On the board there must be a FET input stage, and some Gigohm resistors...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
The problem is getting "collettes" with a good fit to the capsule.

Hence your love of electrical tape. ;D I do miss the poorlyconditioned rig pics and hand-drawn schematics.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
30minute 3d model.  3/4" brass rod as stock.

I have some Ideas for the center pin and making the internal electronics serviceable. 

Is it possible to cram the necessary electronics into this type of model, and how long would they need to be?

I am not a 3d/cad artist, first time i have touched a cad app in 10+ years

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
30minute 3d model.  3/4" brass rod as stock.

I have some Ideas for the center pin and making the internal electronics serviceable. 

Is it possible to cram the necessary electronics into this type of model, and how long would they need to be?

I am not a 3d/cad artist, first time i have touched a cad app in 10+ years

Looks good.  IIRC you'll need an m19 thread to mate with the capsule.  But you probably already know that.  Also, the material should be brass, to match the capsule (avoid corrosion or any other problems when different materials meet).  Contacting the center pin should not be hard, but it is a mechanical problem, hence out of my domain.

You don't need much space at all in the collette.  Just enough for one transistor and two resistors.  I would say 1/2 to 3/4" beyond the capsule (measured inside). 

If anyone builds a pair of these, and is willing to give them to me (to keep), I will happily experiment and make my design and results public.  I've decided at this point I don't want to put any more money into this, but I'm happy to experiment in exchange for parts!

Richard
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:24:19 PM by illconditioned »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
If anyone builds a pair of these, and is willing to give them to me (to keep), I will happily experiment and make my design and results public.  I've decided at this point I don't want to put any more money into this, but I'm happy to experiment in exchange for parts!

Richard this confuses me.  If i'm reading this right you'll share your thoughts or info IF someone is willing to give you, to keep, the hardware.

You are always the first one to ask builders for information, part #'s and the like.  Then the first one to complain that people aren't open enough.  The fivefishdiy preamp as an example instantly comes to mind.   

It is just this kind of attitude and b.s. like the statement above that has helped to keep this type of project from happening.  You give me first and then.....     :banging head:

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • surly tapir
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »

Richard this confuses me.  If i'm reading this right you'll share your thoughts or info IF someone is willing to give you, to keep, the hardware.

You are always the first one to ask builders for information, part #'s and the like.  Then the first one to complain that people aren't open enough.  The fivefishdiy preamp as an example instantly comes to mind.   

It is just this kind of attitude and b.s. like the statement above that has helped to keep this type of project from happening.  You give me first and then.....     :banging head:

i didnt get that vibe at all from richard.  i think he was saying that if someone supplied him the colletes he would tinker with it and release the plans.  sure, he would get a pair of the collettes out of it, but if the collettes were able to be manufactured in the future (for a reasonable fee) & there was a set of plans available to build the actives... awesome.

/although i would have to find some one to put it together for me
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline willndmb

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »

i didnt get that vibe at all from richard.  i think he was saying that if someone supplied him the colletes he would tinker with it and release the plans.  sure, he would get a pair of the collettes out of it, but if the collettes were able to be manufactured in the future (for a reasonable fee) & there was a set of plans available to build the actives... awesome.

/although i would have to find some one to put it together for me
i got the same impression
not that he wanted anything for free but that he doesn't have the knowledge or skill or whatever to make the collettes but has ability for the rest of the project
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2009, 08:02:46 PM »

Hey, dude.

I posted a chalkboard diagram of my project long ago!  I've also posted chalkboard diagrams for battery operated preamps and battery boxes.

What I'm saying is that if someone wants me to tweak and prove my design, they can give me the hardware.  I just don't want to sink any more money into this.  Also, this is a bit of challenge... for both of us.  If you produce the mechanical parts, I'll produce the (hopefully) working electronics...

Richard
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:05:26 PM by illconditioned »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Has anyone ever tried running the mk46/ck_x caps with the 480's?  I know people say it doesn't work, but I also heard people say that the 480's wouldn't work with a60 rings & the early ck caps.  I have run 480/a60/ck1 several times now and have been very pleased with the results.  Does it have something to do with the transformers?
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline willndmb

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
Has anyone ever tried running the mk46/ck_x caps with the 480's?  I know people say it doesn't work, but I also heard people say that the 480's wouldn't work with a60 rings & the early ck caps.  I have run 480/a60/ck1 several times now and have been very pleased with the results.  Does it have something to do with the transformers?
great question
because until you proved the 480 would work with ck caps i too was under the impression it wouldn't work from reading it over and over here at ts

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
great question
because until you proved the 480 would work with ck caps i too was under the impression it wouldn't work from reading it over and over here at ts

Well I do have acres to the a mk46/ck_x, but I don't wanna run the risk of killing my 480's
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »

The mk46 cables have an extra "pin" connector where they attach to the bodies.  If you look at the 460 and the 480 bodies, I seem to recall the 460's have a ring to make contact with this pin.  The 480's don't have that, which is why the actives don't work with them.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com