Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone techniques - part 1  (Read 165770 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Oddball mic techiques that worked
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
The battery box is two 9V batteries in series (18V), and uses 2k resistors (instead of 6.8k for regular phantom).  It is unbalanced (just uses wire 2 (+) of the XLR).  The result is 12v drops accross the mic, which powers just fine.

Richard

Simple. If I go the MC930 route I'll put one of those together for sure.  Thanks for the R&D.

Lee

I should note that this only works for the MC930s.  The reason this works is that there is an internal dc-dc converter in the mic to generate the (approx 50V) capsulse polarization voltage.  Other mics have different powering requirements.  In addition, the current through the mic determines the proper resistor value (so 12V actually drops accross the mic).  The internal wiring determines if you can "unbalance" the mic by simply using wire 2 (+) on the XLR.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »
I should note that this only works for the MC930s.  The reason this works is that there is an internal dc-dc converter in the mic to generate the (approx 50V) capsulse polarization voltage.  Other mics have different powering requirements.  In addition, the current through the mic determines the proper resistor value (so 12V actually drops accross the mic).  The internal wiring determines if you can "unbalance" the mic by simply using wire 2 (+) on the XLR.
Understood & thanks for the clarification.

Moke, I'm surprised I missed your thread before.  I've gotta hit the dollar store and see if they have some black ones.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 02:13:36 PM »
Here's a link to my all in one mics/pre/recorder package using half a 'nerf' style basket ball as a baffle.  I put this thing together to have an integrated unit that I could easily pull out of my guitar bag and place on the floor to record some acoustic guitar classes with some stellar players a couple summers ago.   Makes some excellent HRTF type recordings without any setup other than pulling it out, setting levels and pushing record.  Also works nicely in the center of a circle of seated musicians.  Details near the bottom of the first page.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rockthing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Out recording stuff. Dropping in occasionally. :-)
    • BS Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
literally, an oddball.
This is a great thread. I wish I'd found it earlier. I've posted some of my odd-ball (^^^ well, compared to that, just 'odd' :) ) rigs.

I'm a big fan of nylon rope. (They call me spiderman)
I'll be back with pics. or links to the threads I already posted in.
on lead guitar and as many chicks he can find

Sony TCS-60 (1999 - 2003)
Aiwa CM-P22 in rolled-up socks > Sharp MD-DR7S (2003 - 2007)
Studio Projects C4s > Marantz PMD660 (stock) (Oct. 2007 - )
also: Tascam Porta07 / Yamaha mg102c
------------------
Gnusound 0.74 /Audacity 1.3.7 /GarageBand 4.1.1

Offline rockthing

• Taperssection Regular
    • BS Entertainment
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 04:44:05 AM »
A month later and I've finally managed to copy the link to one of my nylon rope+t-bar-no-riser spiderman jobs... tho it seems like I have a knack for killing threads. I'll just link to the already posted message to save bandwidth. I have photos from a different nylon rope suspension, but that may take another month to put together at the moment.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90103.msg1291614.html#msg1291614

------------------

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:38 AM »
Did someone say Odd ball?   :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »
^^^
wonderin when we'd hear from you. :P

A month later and I've finally managed to copy the link to one of my nylon rope+t-bar-no-riser spiderman jobs... tho it seems like I have a knack for killing threads. I'll just link to the already posted message to save bandwidth. I have photos from a different nylon rope suspension, but that may take another month to put together at the moment.

Ok, now I get the spidey thing with the supporting web and all.. built in shock suspension to boot with that nylon line.

Not super important here, but one useful property of nylon line is it's ability to stretch, absorb shock and spring back.  As I recall, Jacques Cousteau made the deepest ocean anchoring in history using an absurdly long nylon mooring line on the Calypso in the '70's.  At the other extreme and usually more useful to me, I've found modern low stretch line (usually available at marine stores for sail boat halyards and such) made from spectra, vectran, and the like to be worlds superior to common polyester for tying or hanging things that shouldn't sag.  It's like high performance tires for hanging a hammock -  totally transforms it from a sagging rusty Cadillac suspension to a taught German road machine. 

Offline keith

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
I'm a little late looking at this thread, but what was this rig attached to up top?  Did there just ahappen to be a rod hanging down from the ceiling to tape your gear too?   :)

Great work "repurposing" whatever you find around you.

Not a new position for mics, but I wanted something to suspend mics from the ceiling and have no wires getting in peoples' way.  This is a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 > self made (18v) battery box > Edirol R09.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, the rod goes up about 2', then hanging from a hook or anything else I can grab on the ceiling.

Almost all of my "Starlight" and "Boathouse" recordings at Soundmann.com were made this way.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »
How is the R-09 attached to the pole?
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »
Carl pulled a good tape last weekend w/the mic actually pointed backwards and aiming at the mens room.
:P

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
there is this thread..  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61699.0.html

and of course the touchdownrohponic technique..    :P    http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61476.0.html
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
Carl pulled a good tape last weekend w/the mic actually pointed backwards and aiming at the mens room.

Heh...I ran on-stage a while back for Unwed Sailor, opening up for Lotus.  Ran Mid/Side, with the C34 set to subcardioid for the Mid, and realized about half way through the opening set that I had the Mid facing the audience instead of the stage.  Whoops!  Fortunately, the audience was darn quiet during their set.  I tweaked it in post (inverted the Side channel, boosted the Mid to compensate for the mild rearward attenuation) and the recording turned out just fine.  Not great, but very listenable.  Phew!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 12:59:45 AM »
there is this thread..  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61699.0.html

and of course the touchdownrohponic technique..    :P    http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61476.0.html

Amazed I missed those threads back then 'till now.  There's treasure buried at TS.  Nice AVI.. Whacchhhhaaaaaa.

Offline rockthing

• Taperssection Regular
    • BS Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
^^^
wonderin when we'd hear from you. :P

Ok, now I get the spidey thing with the supporting web and all.. built in shock suspension to boot with that nylon line.

Not super important here, but one useful property of nylon line is it's ability to stretch, absorb shock and spring back.  As I recall, Jacques Cousteau made the deepest ocean anchoring in history using an absurdly long nylon mooring line on the Calypso in the '70's.  At the other extreme and usually more useful to me, I've found modern low stretch line (usually available at marine stores for sail boat halyards and such) made from spectra, vectran, and the like to be worlds superior to common polyester for tying or hanging things that shouldn't sag.  It's like high performance tires for hanging a hammock -  totally transforms it from a sagging rusty Cadillac suspension to a taught German road machine. 

I bet Cousteau got a good pull.... er... nevermind. ::) :D

I like the suspension systems for the exact reasons your stated.
built-in shock absorption, in which case, I think the Cadillac might be better than the Beemer...

The negative, is set up time.  It takes some time to get it together, but even with a stand, it can take some time, I guess.
I couldn't find the photos of the stage omnis I hung above the stacks in a small rock club back in January. I'm sure I took photos, but I don't know what happened to them.

That was a pretty crazy rig, getting the mics to point toward the center of the room while hanging from the front edge of the lighting rig, then running the cable from one side to the next.

I seem to have been thwarted by low frequency vibration from the bass guitar, however.

Those nerf balls look pretty interesting, even if just as a substitute for a T-bar.

The basketball above, I remember seeing a while back. That deserves some kind of award. :)

------------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com