Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone techniques - part 1  (Read 165796 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Oddball mic techiques that worked - evolvution to 'Bug Eye' rig
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 10:36:10 PM »
Update on the first rig that started this thread-

Revised the system a few days before Langerado to also use at Suwannee Springfest at the end of the month.  I think about this stuff all the time, but I only get it together under a deadline.  ;)

I ditched the painter pole I was using into the back of the chair since sitting in the chair wiggled the pole and could cause noise.   The portability was great, it just was not an elegant solution.  Instead I improved the thing so that I could collapse the whole rig down to 19" to fit in a day pack all wired and ready to go, but still fly up to 10' (or more) and space the omnis up to 6-1/2' apart.  I also made everything 'nothing to see here' black instead of 'look at that' shinny chrome.

To do that I substituted a Manforotto 001B for the painter pole, built two stand extensions out of 5/8" threaded rod, lock-nuts and couplers  for use above 8', and replaced the chrome TV antenna with a black one. I fashioned a little attachment bar to attach the antenna spreader bars to the stand or the extensions which allowed everything to fold up without disassembly and covered the extensions and bar with heat shrink.

It all worked out nicely.  OK, the rig is out of the ordinary to begin with, but here's the real oddball parts-
I've used some firm green foam Nerf ballistic balls (come in 5 pack refills for Nerf guns) as feet to keep the thin legs of the stand from sinking into sandy festival soil.  They also make for a nice grip and cushion on concrete floors.  I just slit the balls with a razor knife, slipped the thin rubber tips of the stand legs and slipped the balls on.

I also wanted to experiment with placing a spherical baffle on the 4060's to give them some increased directionality and presence on-axis that could be beneficial when micing from a distance.  I'm shooting for emulating the effect of the DPA acoustic pressure equalizer (APE) balls for the full size 4006's and the plexiglass sphere of the Neumann M-50 (or modern M-150).  Here's a PDF article from the DPA site that goes into detail about what those things do if interested, as well as some discussion around p.19 & 20 of the DPA, Gefell, & ADK in Classical Venues thread.

I selected the green Nerf ballistic balls since they are just about the same diameter as the 40mm APE's, lightweight, relatively dense, sound opaque and easy to work with.  I heated up a nail and used it to melt some nice smooth bore holes through the balls into which I fitted some soda straw sections that the mics could slide through until the capsule grids were flush with the surface of the sphere.  A short end section of bamboo chopstick (the tapered end) inserted from the cable exit side, locks the mic in place by wedging the cable against the straw wall.  Another hole at a right angle to the first and only partway into the ball allows it to fit snuggly on the end of the telescopic TV antenna.  Radio Shack foam mic windscreens slip over the balls for wind protection.  I ended up also using my ghetto Rycote wind baskets as well since the wind was fierce over the weekend.  Details on those are in this DIY basket style windscreens - AKA ghetto Rycotes thread.

[edit- foam alone is sonically better for all mics as long as it is effective enough.  Trapped air space under foam could improve wind protection without resorting to the more problematic basket.  Baskets are probably only really needed for directional mics. Details in the above thread]

I didn't have a chance to do any testing of the ball baffles before Langerado, so I just flew the things.  I still haven't listened enough to determine their worth or if I'll refine the system further (perhaps with different material or size balls - yellow foam practice golf balls are the same foam but are slightly smaller diameter).  I may end up removing the balls and going back to just the 4060's with small foams on the ends of the antennas which is much less visually distracting and virtually disappears in a crowd since the antennas are so thin.  I wouldn't be able to call it 'bug eye' then unless I break out the ghetto Rycotes.  I did set up in a parking lot and did some walk around tests last night  at various mic spacing with the balls on, but haven't assessed those tests either.. so stay tuned.

OK, the pictures-

Here's the whole rig collapsed, but wired up and ready to deploy.  R-09 and MMA6000 are in the shaving kit bag, I'm using the microdot extension cables to reach to the preamp in the bag when the stand is extended to 10'+. 

It's a wierd looking contaption.  I was walking between stages at Langerado when some dude passing by said 'WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?'.  I hurried on to catch the start while by girlfriend stayed back to play with his mind a bit. ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:22:27 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
The short heat-shrink covered bar that bolts to the top of the stand or extensions which the TV antennas attach to.  It's bent to allow the telescopic arms maximum rotation so that they can fold down parallel to the stand when collapsed, and rotate up as much as desired to get increased height in use, while still allowing access to the attachment screws and mounting bolt.

[edit- you may notice that there is a fat piece of tech-flex-like wire sheathing attached with a velcro wire tie that the mic leads run through.  When using the threaded stand extensions, I insert them into the tech-flex sheathing which neatly conforms to the extensions and secures the mic cables.]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:49:08 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
Here are the stand extensions.  It's just a 36" piece of 5/8" threaded rod cut to make two 18" pieces, with a threaded coupler on one end, secured by a nylon-insert lock nut, and a second nylon-insert lock nut on the other end.  All heatshrink wrapped for cable protection, dark color and to keep from scraping up the stand or other things in the bag.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »
On to the odd foam balls-

First the leg tips to keep the stand from sinking into soft ground and to provide some cushioning.  The balls keep the stand from making scraping noises if I have to move it on a concrete surface as shown here.  Just slitted and pushed on, nothing fancy.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
Now for the APE-like mic balls.  I'm rather proud of the fact that the one and only Dan Healy signed one of them for me at Langerado.  I recorded DSO pretty much just to catch him working his magic (Dan was filling in for their soundman who was out for the tour with a bad back).  I got there after the first couple songs, raised the rig and looked back to him making the OK? gesture, and he shouted "TV ANTENNA'S" and gave me two thumbs up.  The living legend of live concert sound was smiling and dancing all about the whole show, thoroughly enjoying himself.  It was so good to once again hear his clean, clear, detailed mix in glorious wide stereo without the typical bloated kick drum 'whomp'.  The best sound of the whole weekend by far.  He had the crew roll back the canopy cover over the soundboard so he could hear clearly despite the earlier monsoon rain and tornado warnings and continuing rain threat.  The man cares and is still the best in the business in my mind.  It was great to talk with him after the show, thank him for the great sound that night and over so many years and get the blessing of his autograph on my measly foam mic ball.  My buddy back at camp said to me, 'only about 20 people here would appreciate that'.  I told him, "without Healy, they wouldn't be listening to those huge sound systems at all", only slightly exaggerating his contribution to concert sound.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
Hey Gutbucket

Are those mics on the green balls?  They look like boundary mics.  What are the balls made of?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 11:36:56 PM »
Richard,

The mics are DPA 4060's through a hole in the balls so that the grids are flush with the surface of the ball.  The balls are hard Nerf foam from a toy store.  The balls work as baffles to the rear and boundary surfaces for the high frequencies.

:lol:

Sarge made me some new stand bags. So, my stands are now sporting tennis ball buffers on them, at the pressure points.
Good idea for the scraping noise, and it probably adds a bit of mechanical isolation as well.

I covered some extensions with heat shrink. Now everything else in the bag beats up on it.

Mike, I was going to use tennis balls, but I fell in love with the green ones and they work better on the small stand.  They also don't fuzz up over time and they don't look 're-purposed'.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:43:38 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
The foam windscreens over the balls, loose ends secured by a small binder clip.
And the $10 Rycote-a-likes over the foams (for now, the foams underneath made it easy to use the baskets in the fierce wind at Langerado.  I'll fix them so I can eliminate the foam later and just use the baskets with thin nylon material when needed).

[edit- I no longer think the baskets are necessary or even a better idea than foam windscreens for pressure omni mics.  They do look cool though.  8)  Why in this thread on them]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:21:21 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
Deploying the stand-

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »
Fully deployed at low height.
Max height without extensions (narrow footprint to reach 9', but quick setup, just telescope and power up).
Max height with extension sections and wider base stance (about 11', but need to screw the extensions together to setup).

Someday I'll get my house back together, too.  ::)

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:36 PM »
greatest mic stand/ contraption ever???
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »
Yup. These are them-

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »
That is fantastic!  Thanks for the photos.

us-play, ee-tay.
Socks are overrated.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 02:57:15 AM »
great job!  i really liked the "chair rig", but this is seriously in a whole new level of awesome.

you keep this up and i will be looking to grab a pair of these 4060s sooner than later.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 03:49:23 AM »
wow ... i really need to work on making my rig an ez-up rig before 'roo.

this is great.  +t
nothing > nada > R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com