Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser KE4 capsule wiring  (Read 7575 times)

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
Sennheiser KE4 capsule wiring
« on: September 09, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm a PhD in acoustics, particularlly in the subjective perception of room acoustics. So I know quite a bit about psychoacoustics, room acoustics and digital signal processing but I'm a complete noob about electroacoustics...

Anyway... For a binaural system that I have to assemble for my experiments I've got some Sennheiser KE-4 capsules http://www.music.mcgill.ca/caml/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=equipment:ke_4_211_2_gb.pdf that I have to wire.

In the datasheet you can see the recommended wiring for plug-in power but I really need to wire each of the mikes to be connected to XLR (with Phantom). I don't know how should I proceed to run this mikes with XLR and Phantom.

Could anyone enlighten me? I'm not looking for a very fancy circuit, just a circuit that allows me to capture up to 100dB without clipping.

Kind regards and thank you.
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sennheiser KE4 capsule wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
The Naiant PFA should work fine with these. 3-wire 9 volt configuration would be best. You would simply wire it as follows:

pin 1: shield
pin 2: source
pin 3: drain (9 volts)

You would still use the 18 K Ohm source resistor shown in the drawing. You don't need the coupling capacitor shown.

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
The Naiant PFA should work fine with these. 3-wire 9 volt configuration would be best. You would simply wire it as follows:

pin 1: shield
pin 2: source
pin 3: drain (9 volts)

You would still use the 18 K Ohm source resistor shown in the drawing. You don't need the coupling capacitor shown.

Yes, I have one of those, but since it's formy thesis, I don't have any budget for that and I have like 10 pairs of mikes to wire, I'd prefer to keep it cheap. I was thinking about some circuit to put inside the XLR connector.

Anyway, thank you for the answer!
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:49:23 PM »
I have experience with this microphone.
You can power with "plug in power" from most portable recorders.I put a 2.2KR resistor between source and ground.I power with Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09, etc. plug in power.
You are welcome to contact me by PM for my email.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 03:47:28 AM »

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »
Don't mean to derail the microphone wiring/powering topic, but I'm curious to learn more about the about the focus of your projects.  Would love to hear whatever you care to share about it.

With regards to binaural recording technique in particular- Are you planning to use these microphones with flexible tube attachments for true-binaural sampling at the eardrum,  quasi-binaural recording with the microphones placed at at the opening of the ear-canal (typically mounted outward-facing in a foam ear-plug), or the method more commonly used around here at TS for live music recording, sometimes referred to here as HTRF technique, using miniature omni microphones placed somewhere between the ear and temple so as to be head-baffled, but without significant pinna interaction?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
A bunch of low-cost AT P48 powering modules have just been posted in the yardsale, they will provide low voltage suitable for powering your mics-
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187752.msg2275758#msg2275758

Note: AFAIK the smaller tubular shaped ones may invert polarity.  The larger, lower-priced ones do not AFAIK and can also be powered by a single AA.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
The larger, lower-priced ones do not AFAIK and can also be powered by a single AA.

But I think I read somewhere that when using the AA there's only something like 3V...is that correct?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
Dunno.  I use 4 to power a TetraMic, but have never measured their voltage output nor run them off internal batteries.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
The larger, lower-priced ones do not AFAIK and can also be powered by a single AA.

But I think I read somewhere that when using the AA there's only something like 3V...is that correct?

iGene did a 9v mod...

Removed the AA sled and cover completely.
I used Velcro on the walls of the battery area (both sides).
opened them up and changed the connection to 9V.

The battery holds extremely well without strapping it in.
You really have to pull to get it out.

Tested them w/ AKG CK-93's and they power them up - no problem.
Nice output levels !

These are now 9v power supplies.

Here are the pics >

You can hold the battery and shake it and it stays in.
It's in there REAL tight !!!

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm a PhD in acoustics, particularlly in the subjective perception of room acoustics. So I know quite a bit about psychoacoustics, room acoustics and digital signal processing but I'm a complete noob about electroacoustics...

Anyway... For a binaural system that I have to assemble for my experiments I've got some Sennheiser KE-4 capsules http://www.music.mcgill.ca/caml/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=equipment:ke_4_211_2_gb.pdf that I have to wire.

In the datasheet you can see the recommended wiring for plug-in power but I really need to wire each of the mikes to be connected to XLR (with Phantom). I don't know how should I proceed to run this mikes with XLR and Phantom.

Could anyone enlighten me? I'm not looking for a very fancy circuit, just a circuit that allows me to capture up to 100dB without clipping.

Kind regards and thank you.

LOL. When I read you introduction and background the first thing I thought is that you should talk to Gutbucket. You will soon see why :-)
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com