Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 and AT933 Unmod Thread  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Norm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re: AT853 and AT933 Unmod Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 04:14:16 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question...
I need to buy some new clips for my mics http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-CMC-8&type=store , due to the fact I have lost one. I also plan to  do the phantom power mod some time in the future. While I am getting stuff shipped, I figured I should also buy some stuff for the phantom power mod. The things listed to get at SP are

AT8533 http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=560&item=AT8533&type=store

AT8533x http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=163118&is=REG

Which one do I need for my mics? Its not clear on the SP page which AT mic, my mic is based on.

Thanks

Norm
SP-CMC-8 -> SPSB-3 - > JB3

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 04:31:04 AM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:42:44 PM by Brian Skalinder »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 04:38:51 AM »
Sorry but it makes no sense to me  ???
What I need to know is, which parts do I need (if any?) from SP fro my mics, if I want to support battery AND phantom power. Maybe I am being stupid ..

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 04:41:25 AM »
you need 2 power modules (AT8533 or Samson PM4), 2 male mini-xlr 3pins, 2 female mini-xlr 3pins, and one 1/8" stereo mini plug.

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 04:59:43 AM »
I think I understand the power modules. And where they fit in. Any reasons why I should choose the At8533 or the Samson PM4? Assuming is a male xlr on the end of the mics why do I need 2 of them?
And why 3 pin, there is also 5 pin mentioned? Does this depend on the type of mics?
And I guess I need some wire to go between the power modules and the female xlr?
BTW what does XLR stand for?

Thanks

Norm

Offline Alpha Murdock

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Feeble Christ
    • MURDOCKS
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 10:30:59 AM »
I just purchased a set of SP-CMC-8s does this mod work with them (i noticed that SP doesnt offer it)?

I would like to modify them to work with a bat box and phantom powered.
Franklin Morris
LIST | RAWK
franklin@the-murdocks.com

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 04:06:31 PM »
yes it does

@ NOrm, the schematics are on one of those pages, shouldn't be too hard to figure out

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 04:12:51 PM »
I think I have figured it out from the schematics. But, to further my understanding I had a few more questions.
If you dont want to answer them , thats fine. I if I am taking the steps to butcher my mics, I would like a firm understanding of the whys and wherefores which I think is understandable.
I figured from the schematic I only needed 1 male xlr, maybe I am just dumb  ???
I know I am a pest, but I have studied the diagram.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 04:29:16 PM »
I think I understand the power modules. And where they fit in. Any reasons why I should choose the At8533 or the Samson PM4?

no, but the samson's are half the price.  I went with the ATs anyway cuz I'm an AT man

Assuming is a male xlr on the end of the mics why do I need 2 of them?

on the end of the original mics is a single 1/8" stereo phone plug.  That gets hacked off and 2 female mini-xlr's get soldered on, one to each mic cord.

And why 3 pin, there is also 5 pin mentioned?

don't worry about that, a 5 pin would allow 2 channels to pass through the same cable, but it's not necessary here.

Does this depend on the type of mics?

not usually, some preamps take different inputs, and a 5pin mini could be one of those

And I guess I need some wire to go between the power modules and the female xlr?

no, the power modules will plug into most preamps directly

BTW what does XLR stand for?

a quick google popped this up

"Confession of error: Despite the urban legend, the term "XLR" did not originate as an abbreviation for "X/Shield, Left, Right". We have glossary citations from "Chris from Chicago" and Rich Brown, agreeing that this was simply Cannon's (now ITT's) original part number for this circular 3-pin connector -- an improved version of the "X Series" connectors, featuring a spring latch (L) to keep it from being unplugged accidentally and a resilient base (R) for the female contacts.

Of course, these days XLR is an industry standard, and many manufacturers produce XLR-compatable plugs and sockets."

Thanks

Norm

no prob

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 05:11:35 PM »
I think I understand the power modules. And where they fit in. Any reasons why I should choose the At8533 or the Samson PM4?

no, but the samson's are half the price.  I went with the ATs anyway cuz I'm an AT man

Assuming is a male xlr on the end of the mics why do I need 2 of them?

Thank you, I do appreciate it. My confusion is running from the fact there are two pictures in the instructions. One is the SP mod? and the other is maybe a home mod?
I was looking at the home mod, that looks like it has one connector on the end of the mics.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 05:14:33 PM »
the one by dano420 has a different module hard-wired to the mics.  mini-xlrs are not needed with that setup, but he cannot run a battery box either

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 08:47:13 PM »
the one by dano420 has a different module hard-wired to the mics.  mini-xlrs are not needed with that setup, but he cannot run a battery box either

Ummm, not true... I have a set that I mod'd that I have set up that I can go either miniplug / batt box, or xlr.  All you have to do it make up a miniplug to mini 5 pin (as in dano420's setup, or mine)
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 09:01:57 PM »

Ummm, not true... I have a set that I mod'd that I have set up that I can go either miniplug / batt box, or xlr.  All you have to do it make up a miniplug to mini 5 pin (as in dano420's setup, or mine)

I am corrected

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »

I am corrected

No prob, Holiday Inn Express musta been booked up last night  :P
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »
Any chance to see the images again?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com