Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need pre/ADC advice. lookin for portable, xlr in, spdif out 24/96...for MT  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Nick Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Here's what I have:
Tons of various battery power
Azden SGM PD II Mic
Microtrack 2496
Panasonic HVX-200
Arriflex 16bl

So I've been looking around and saw a few cool products referenced in threads, many of which were either USB or firewire computer items which could be used standalone, but a few seemed to either revert to a lower setting when disconnected, needed to be set on a computer then have power continue to them, or they had crappy pres.

I seem to keep checking out less expensive products with high hopes, and eventually keep floating back to the Core Sound Mic2496...although the more expensive the item, the more time it'll take for me to purchase....and it seems that if I'm to spend $600 on the mic2496 I mine as well sell my MT and just plop down a little more cash on a modded pro recorder(Oade HDP2 with HD upgrade looked good)....I'd much rather just have a rig that I invest 200-300 more USD into.

I'll be doing narrative recording for films, so I won't be filling up cards horribly quick, so my ultimate goal is atleast some clean 24/96 recordings....on occasion I may do some short recording for a band or something like that if they ask...but no 2+ hour shows or anything like that. I doubt I'll do Documentary or live event as the sound guy, as I'm usually camera op or AC, but If so I'd prolly run the recorder as much as possible, but mainly depend on outputting a mix to camera....in fact as often as possible I'd prolly have a mix running to the camera as well.....in the case of one man banding it this all might become alot of equipment to carry, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but it does mean that I'd rather not carry around a rack mount item or something ridiculous like that, lol.

So does anyone have any advice? Also have I filled in all the wholes of my situation?...if I've left anything out, let me know and I'll post more info about my situation.....and if I've made any ignorant statements please let me know, as I'm not exactly an audio genius, lol 8)

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
UA-5 is the standard solution to this. Great value for money, and since you won't stealth it, size is no concern.

But your mic is a mono camera mounted shotgun?!
Are you going to record one channel only, or run a pair of mics?

Otherwise you could do with a mono preamp + AD. Something like SD MP-1>AD20 or similar...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
you should check out the Tascam DR-100. If I were in the market, this is what I would go for. The AD chip is supposed to be excellent and it has mic or line in, plus it also provides true 48V for powering externals. In addition, it has kick ass built in mics which are said to rival small AT microphones which are as expensive as the recorder itself. It fits in your hand and is lightweight. The other thing that I like about it is the fact that it has a built in rechargeable battery and has room for AA's, so no need for an external battery.

Offline Nick Walters

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need pre/ADC advice. lookin for portable, xlr in, spdif out 24/96...for MT
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
It's been awhile since I posted about this, but hopefully a BUNCH of checks will come in soon for invoices(had alot of folks not sending cash and been riding them lately). I'm thinking of completing my array of sound equipment, as more often then not it's difficult to find a sound guy.....so I mine as well get things going.

I've been getting pretty good sound out of my HVX-200 with the Azden SGM PD-II hooked into her straight, but I'd like to stop being camera AND sound.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It seems it got me traveling down the right path. All of this equipment so far seems to be minimal though, and not quite able to fill my needs, so I was wondering what you all thought of this possible setup:

Mic/Mics>SD Mixpre>AD20>Microtrack 2496

I would output a Mono mix from the the Mixpre which would also make it.
Mic/Mics>SD Mixpre>HVX-200

In this way I have a redundant audio on the HVX-200 which is already in sync(99.999% of the time), Ability to do tone so that my levels are good, a limiter to save my butt, and I have the ability to either teach someone else to use the equipment and be my sound guy, or the ability to just act as sound guy myself.

Have I missed anything, misunderstood the equipment, or generally stuck my foot in my mouth here? Any advice is VERY MUCH appreciated, and thank you all for your time and expertise.

Offline Nick Walters

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »
One other thing is that I'm a tad unfamiliar with the AD20 and what exactly it means coupled to the MT 2496. My MT has the option for either 16bit, or 24bit....Will eveything work out in the end with the MT 2496 as my bit bucket?

Offline ldseeya

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
Busman Mod  UA-5 (BM2p+ UA-5) is the most reasonable priced ADC preamp for the MT2.  I used to run with my MT, but now have a Busman mod HD-P2.  If you need a UA-5, mine is for sale.  $300 plus shiping - OBO.

Offline Nick Walters

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
Busman Mod  UA-5 (BM2p+ UA-5) is the most reasonable priced ADC preamp for the MT2.  I used to run with my MT, but now have a Busman mod HD-P2.  If you need a UA-5, mine is for sale.  $300 plus shiping - OBO.

With the UA-5 do you ever have to have it hooked into a computer? It looks like a decent product(with mod{although no limiter})....but I want to be sure I can spit out a 24/96 through the SPDIF without being tethered to a netbook or something ridiculous like that.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »
UA5s do not need to be hooked to a computer. In the several years I've owned one, it has never been connected to anything other than mics, recorder and an external battery. In fact, I've never had anything plugged into the USB port.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
UA5s do not need to be hooked to a computer.

As long as they're modded.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Walters

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
Ok I'm slowly but surely learning about the UA-5, and have started to really dig into what it can do...I'm unsure if it's the right product yet for my sound as I still need to feed into a camera via XLR...has anyone had experience outputting from the 1/4" to an XLR via a 1/4 to XLR adapter? This seems like it would be my only option to feed a signal to my HVX-200 while recording.

To be honest I still feel like I might need something like the SD Mixpre, as having the limiter would be nice, and being able to have a tone generator is REALLY good, as I'd rather not be guessing and tweaking for the levels on the camera.

Does that sound like a good chain? Mic>Mixpre(mono to feed HVX off to the side)>UA-5>MT

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm sure I'll get there eventually :)

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
I use both the Sound Devices MP-2(very similar to the mix pre) and a BM2p+ UA-5.  Even with the DA/AD conversion the UA-does, I'd use that for the use you are describing.  That way you can have you digital feed and analog feed with one piece of gear.  Use the 1/4" out for the camera and the coax for the MT.   But that is only if you are using the modded UA-5.  I have tried each unit(UA-5 and MP-2) and honestly can't say I prefer one over the other as far as a pre amp goes. 

Offline ldseeya

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »
I ran mine @ 24/48  > spdif/coaxial out > Microtrack2496.  All my recordings with this rig sound stellar. 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »
I would recommend either an Oade or BusMan moded UA5.  Both are excellent PreAmp>ADCs...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 06:18:53 AM »
To be honest I still feel like I might need something like the SD Mixpre, as having the limiter would be nice, and being able to have a tone generator is REALLY good, as I'd rather not be guessing and tweaking for the levels on the camera.

Does that sound like a good chain? Mic>Mixpre(mono to feed HVX off to the side)>UA-5>MT

It's doable, but looks clunky in my eyes.
Why waste money on two preamp, when you will only use part of their capacity?

Since you're not doing stealth, I would get rid of the MT, and top up the budget with the $100 or so you'll get for it.

How much were you planning to spend anyway? For the cost of a Mixpre + modded UA-5, you could get a decent all-in-one, and won't have to juggle the interconnects and separate batteries.

Take a look at FR2-LR or R-44 (either modded or stock, depending on your budget).
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
fr2-le ;)
if you are going to ditch the mt i would go that route for the money

if you keep the mt the ua5 is sweet, i have almost got one to replace mine a few times

also the ad20 isn't a good option for you imo because you would need a optical > coax converter box
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com