Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp for the R-09  (Read 12285 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Preamp for the R-09
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
Oh yeah, apply hot melt glue to hold the right angle plug in the recorder :).

*cringes*

Opening these up and applying epoxy to the input jacks couldn't be any easier. Disassembly and reassembly are a snap; it's quite intuitive how the parts fit together.

I say take care of this problem right out of the box. There are plenty of people willing to do this modification on the board (including myself I suppose), but I would think just about anyone could figure it out and be successful.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
Oh yeah, apply hot melt glue to hold the right angle plug in the recorder :).

*cringes*

Opening these up and applying epoxy to the input jacks couldn't be any easier. Disassembly and reassembly are a snap; it's quite intuitive how the parts fit together.

I say take care of this problem right out of the box. There are plenty of people willing to do this modification on the board (including myself I suppose), but I would think just about anyone could figure it out and be successful.

Any pictures of this process? or the result?

Or a link to a thread?

I have not heard of this before....unless this is just the common fix to the jack problem...????

But back to topic...I will be using a R-09 and Nak cm300's....

What would all of you wise ones suggest for this setup...? I am open to price schemes...but not too high on this project...maybe 500-600 max....

Thanks for all of your help and input....+T's to all!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:16:44 PM by Mr.Fantasy »
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »

serious, the church 9100.
you can borrow mine and see if you like it (if it ever comes back from Brooklyn)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:16 PM »
I need some recommendations for a good preamp to put in front of my R-09...

I did my first recording the other night....just with the R-09 and some crappy mics of my buddies....

Any recommendations would be very greatly appreciated...

Or if someone would tell me some pre's to investigate....

I am really new to taping but I am REALLY new to the pre amp....

Your choice of mics, type of sound (natural acoustic or amplified venue) helps determine type of preamp best fitted to r-09, or if you need a preamp at all for the R-09.

For amplified recording with good moderately priced electret, even if low output mics, you might not require a preamp as discussed in thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83254.0.html

For more natural or acoustic sound recording, a preamp is usually a requirement with r-09.  My PA-3SX model might be considered well suited for this purpose with using a variety of external microphones.

R-09 tech review with photos, recordings, and noise plots with/without preamp at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 08:34:57 PM »

serious, the church 9100.
you can borrow mine and see if you like it (if it ever comes back from Brooklyn)

Nick, that is a very nice offer, and I would take you up on it...that is if you had it in your possession :laugh:....but since these aren't that much I could just go ahead and try and work a deal with Church.

You think THIS deal is still going? Or I guess I should try and ask Church himself....

If I spring for this I want to nab some cards as well...

I am just bumming my buddies mics, and I want to have a backup in case the Naks fail on me....they are old....

**I should edit this....I own the Naks....the other night on my first run I bummed my buddies....**
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »
I expect to have it back any day.
the guy i lent it to is finished w/it.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »
I think you can learn a lot and make some decent recordings with just the Naks and the R09.  But if you want new toys, the Church preamp + cards wouldn't be a bad investment, even if you upgrade to better mics and a phantom-capable preamp to go with them, having an inconspicuous backup rig never hurts.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 10:22:38 PM »
I guess I will just use the weird 9volt batteries....

But I really think the active mod looks the best...

Any powering or power mod advice/tips?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
Not that I doubt the reliability of the unit, but what happens if another format like DSD or its successor really catches on?  Seems unrealistic to think PCM will really remain the dominant format for a lifetime.

That's the best part..  Sound Devices would just offer a DSD a/d board if there was demand.  They already did a field upgrade of the a/d to fix a bug.  It was an easy swap.  They are constantly doing development and adding features to the software. The ability to record to external firewire devices is another great example. That required a hardware upgrade to the firewire board. It is free.  Other companies would put those features into a new model instead of upgrading.  That would drive down the resale of the old models.  Planned obsolescence.

The 7xx is a platform with great service. The upgrades are a big reason why pros buy and keep them.

The FR2LE looks like a pretty good box but, duh, the idiots couldn't even fathom putting a hold switch on it. Where's the firmware upgrade that allows a button combo to act as a hold?  Did Korg ever release something like that for the MR1000?  Or do you have to wait and buy the MR1100?

Edit:  Look at the usage and desirability of "vintage" mics today and the usage and desirability of "vintage" recorders today.  It sure seems like mics tend to hold their value and utility a lot longer.

True.  But recorder technology has reached a bit of a plateau.  Just as those mics you mention reached a plateau that made them desirable for many many years.

99.XXXX% of people find redbook pcm or LPs to be adequate. How small is the X?  2 channel PCM will be around for a LONG time. There is nothing else on the horizon.  Look at how many people stick with 2 channel for music and don't care about surround. I don't record at 24/192 but could. How big is the 24/192 playback market?  DSD is no longer "new news". Sony/Phillips keep a death grip on SACD.

PCM and DVD/A are more than adequate for the upcoming iPod generation. And the baby boomers are losing their hearing.

The r09 sounds great and is very reliable.. As Richard says, you can always glue a pigtail in or solder it right to the board in place of the original jack. Pretty bulletproof after that.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »
No doubt the 7XX boxes are very nice.  And if I was a professional who absoultely could not afford a breakdown in the field, I'd give one serious consideration if I had the $$$$.

I was just responding to the assertion that the 7XX "will last you the rest of your life."  I plan on outliving hard drives and 2 channel PCM.   ;)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 11:58:16 PM »
I'd have to agree that, if for now you are sticking with the Naks & R-09, investing in a Church 9100 would be well worth it.  They are <$200 and would give you a significant improvement in signal-to-noise and overall sound.  They are also pretty easily sold back in the yard sale, should you choose to do so.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 12:38:11 AM »
The vulnerability of the R-09 versus the ruggedness of the 722 argument is way overblown. It's not like we're strapping these recorders onto our torso's and going out to a rugby match. I've taped with the preamp in my crotch and the r-09 in my front pocket at a few metal shows in the mosh pit and never had an issue during or after the shows since getting the r-09 in July 2006.

Personally I stealth the 722 because I like the peace of mind that there's no moving parts - this is crucial when you can only make it to one Neil Young show for instance and the 13th row center ticket was $185, I can only look at the recorder a handful of times so I enjoy the show more with just 2 connections to deal with - mics to actives, actives to 722.

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 12:48:26 AM »
The vulnerability of the R-09 versus the ruggedness of the 722 argument is way overblown. It's not like we're strapping these recorders onto our torso's and going out to a rugby match. I've taped with the preamp in my crotch and the r-09 in my front pocket at a few metal shows in the mosh pit and never had an issue during or after the shows since getting the r-09 in July 2006.

Personally I stealth the 722 because I like the peace of mind that there's no moving parts - this is crucial when you can only make it to one Neil Young show for instance and the 13th row center ticket was $185, I can only look at the recorder a handful of times so I enjoy the show more with just 2 connections to deal with - mics to actives, actives to 722.

If the 722 was mass-manufactured and sold as an iPod we'd be paying $999 for them...how to encourage GenY the 722 makes a great mp3 player? :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 08:32:20 AM »
your 722's hard drive doesn't move ?
huh.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »
your 722's hard drive doesn't move ?
huh.

The 722 will write to a flash card.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com