Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with a Sharp MD-DR480H  (Read 2542 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Recording with a Sharp MD-DR480H
« on: November 29, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
I have a few questions before I do my first tapings. This will will be a stealth recording in an indoor show. I'm using sound professionals SP-CMC-2 CARDIOID mics with a slimline batterybox with adjustable bass roll off. My question is Do I need an amp or should the built in 1 bit amp be fine?  2nd..  To add treble I need to at least add the bass to +1 on my unit. Can I add the bass+1, add treble +2 on my unit and then use the bass rolloff on my battery box?  Any other suggestions are appreciated --Bill

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Recording with a Sharp MD-DR480H
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 07:05:20 PM »
i'd run flat, just plug it in, and record.  you could use bassrolloff,but i wouldn't.  its a trial and error thing, try it, see if you like, it, try it a different way. also, test using the mic in, and line in difference, when i used my MD i found that i had more noise, and it overloaded more often when i went mic in, the mic pre isn't great in those little things..  run the line in, you will probably have more success with that.  good luck, hope it works out, +T

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 12:08:14 AM »
don't use the bass and treble settings on the MD.  Run line-in, and if you notice too much bass in your recordings, use the bass roll-off on your slimeline box if you have it.

An external preamp will help clean up your sound, but it isn't necessary.  Same with an analog to digital converter.  Save your money and get a good piece of gear that your really want.

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 02:41:32 AM »
Where  can  I find an analog to  digital converter?                                                                              

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 03:20:28 AM »
atta boy!  These are the kind of questions we like to see.  A great preamp/adc combo is the Denecke AD-20. This unit has really cleaned up my recordings and made them more professional.  Another option includes the Sony SBM-1, I'm not quite as familiar with that unit, though.  The SBM-1 doesn't connect as nicely with your MD either.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 09:49:52 AM »
betcha any tone controls (like bass +1) are for playback only.  Haven't heard of anything that eq's while recording.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com