Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4.5v batt pack question??  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
4.5v batt pack question??
« on: August 16, 2003, 03:52:45 PM »
Ok you I went to the shack earlier today and bought a 4 AA batt holder and my question is this, If im using it to power an M1 (which requires 4.5v) if I stick 3 AA's in there(AA produce 1.5v) is that going to produce 4.5v? (im almost positive it does, makes sense to me) Also how long will it power it for and if it runs out will it move to the 2 AA inside the deck?
thanks in advance for the help, ;D
Kevin

I think something along the lines of the above was posted somewhere but some of it is diff. ::)
481(3)>722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:4.5v batt pack question??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:08:45 PM »
First question that comes to mind is:  why bother running external power on an on M1/D100?

Anyway, yes, you could run 3 AA alkalines in a 4-AA sled to get 4.5v, but you'd need a dummy cell for the 4th.  Better option, IMO, is to run 4 rechargables for 4.8v.  But I think the Sony portable decks are BEST powered internally by rechargables - running 4xAA rechargable externals won't buy you much run-time.

I don't know for certain if the M1/D100 will rollover to internal batts after externals die, but I think not.

FWIW, I get 4-5 hours on my 2000 mAH rechargables.  Since the M1/D100 only take 2 AA, you can get a set of 4 and be set to run a looooooong time.  I actually have *16* AA rechargables that I use for a variety of devices, so I'm ready to run a looooong time if need be.   8)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 10:35:34 PM »
+T for the help, I also felt like it wouldnt buy much time but would maybe benefit if it rolled over but think that even if it did there would be a pause as when you plug the wal wart into the unit.
481(3)>722

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 08:32:38 PM »
I use 4 AA recharagables in an external pack for my M-1 and get over 3 hours record and 2 hours playback on the same 4 batteries,  I'm sure that is better than 2 AA recharagables inside the deck will get.
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

cpclark

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 08:56:58 PM »
when you pull the power cord, atleast with AC power, it will automatically unload the tape , as i have done this many times at home and i would believe it would do the same to a DC source that is battery powered externally, hope this helps, and i agree with Brian that 2000mah recharables are the best way to go as i am about to switch over to recharables from alkalines(spending way too much money).

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 10:30:57 PM »
IIRC, the deck can't just switch from AC to DC - I tried leaving the AA sled in the deck in case the external power died when I first got a D-cell pack for my D8 but it failed. It sensed the AC plug still in the socket and kept trying to suck juice from there instead of realizing it had DC. I haven't tried since then (I don't particularly feel like hosing a recording intentionally!) but there's no rollover at all as I remember.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 10:44:02 PM »
thanks for the advice im actually going with a rechargable CD (heres the link http://www.pwrplant.com/cd.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 10:48:39 PM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com