Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Binaural with mini me  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Wildman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Binaural with mini me
« on: August 19, 2003, 07:03:00 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum(what a find), joined today and based in good old u.k.
I currently record live sound events to my sony mini disc via okm ii's (binaural mics). I am looking at purchasing the mini me and using this instead of my mini disc and recording straight to a laptop. Do you think I will get better results this way? Is it worth the investment. I hope also to use it with condenser mics in the studio as well. Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

cheers

jpschust

Re:Binaural with mini me
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 07:06:55 PM »
you will indeed, however i really would suggest upgrading your mics and spending less on your pre if thats all the budget you have- you can get a nice newer set of mics with a ua-5 for about the same amount

Offline Wildman

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 07:38:37 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. Can u recommend any good binaural mics or mics for remote recording? Also, if you were to use the same high quality mic on the ua5 or the mini me, would their be a stark contrast in quality or would it be subtle.

cheers

Offline Wildman

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 09:00:55 PM »
Hi,

so is there a drastic difference between the mini me and ua5 with the same high quality mic? Can I download 2 examples ccomparing these units.

Any help appreciated.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 10:33:23 PM »
I guess my question is what kind of music are you taping? It seems as if your focused on small stealth mics. Neither the minime or UA5 are really stealthy in my opinion. There are lots of choices you could do. I guess even a AD20 from denecke may work better for you if stealth is your thing. If you are taping taper friendly bands then some lager mics and a UA5 may be more reasonable. Is there a difference between mme and UA5. I'd say yes, but for 2 times the cost the mme better sound better. The UA5 is a very good choice for the money it's wonderful.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 10:58:57 AM »
If you really want to improve your live recordings, a step up from those Soundmans, or any other mini mics in the world, is the DPA 406xs. Best mini mics in the world, hands down. You won't be sorry if you nab a pair. Upgrading those mics is way more important than a pre or a/d, especially one that you can't stealth.
I can't comment on the studio use of a Mini-Me or UA-5, but a primary feature of both is portability.

Offline Wildman

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi,

i am intrigued by these DPA 406xs. What mak are they?..do u have any links?....cant find them on any search engines! Also what is this v3 everybody talks about?

Any help appreciated

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 10:01:51 PM »
Thanks, Mike. Core Sound sells them at a bloated-ass price with a different power supply. I have a pair of 4061s with the MPS-6010 power supply and they rule. My AD-20 needs some help or replacement... but the mics are where it's at for the most discreet taping.
Armen

Offline Wildman

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 09:04:35 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanx for the info. The v3 looks good, but the apogee mini me can communicate with a laptop via usb, so with that option it seems the more real deal than the v3 for me. Anybody know where i can get a cheap minime? Can I buy from the states and avoid tax, as its expensive over here in the uk. Thanks for the help, learning alot form you guys.

cheers

Offline Wildman

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 07:55:48 PM »
Hi guys,

the edirol ua5 looks good for the money, it got good reviews over here in the u.k. Whats all this modding, is it just for the scms function, or is it to improve sound?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com