Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Rode NT-4 comments/opinions  (Read 3734 times)

Offline blueshn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ISO Rode NT-4 comments/opinions
« on: November 14, 2003, 10:28:08 PM »
I'm considering buying a Rode NT-4 from micsupply.com--to be used mostly with digital video, but with DAT as well.  Looking to hear from anyone who has used this mic--good, bad, indifferent?

How about micsupply? Good place to buy?

Thanks for the input~

Mike

cpclark

Re:ISO Rode NT-4 comments/opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 01:54:02 AM »
havnt heard a lot about the nt-4 in the taper community but dave at micsupply is a great guy and goes to great lengths to get what you need, i fully endorse anyone buying from him, just give him a call and he'll let you know what the pro's and con's of this mic are, no worries
-chris

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 10:51:02 AM »
I use this mic but hesitate to comment...I don't have enough experience with other mics to give a fair assessment.  Here's what I like about it:
  • design, build quality - the general feel
  • the option of internal 9v power or 48v phantom - I've been doing lots of matrix recording and plug it right into the JB3 while the laptop does the board with a UA-5
  • looks good shoved in your pants pocket
  • no messing around with mic configurations - easy to set up quickly

What I don't like about it:
  • I'm now ready to start playing with mic configurations
  • I *think* it may be rather dark sounding

I was quite pleased with the results of an in-store recording but find that for most rock shows I want to eq it a bit.  Note that I find the same with my CSBs and lots of other peoples recordings.  Perhaps it's because I have a playback system that is capable of going down to 20Hz and accurately reproduces the thundering boom that's present at most rock shows.  I find myself wanting to lighten the load when listening at home (but my stereo does not have tone controls).

I suspect I will find the same with most mics at the shows/venues I go to, but want try something else out before making a definitive comment.

Note that when I do eq, it's usually something along the lines of a -9dB shelf in the 100-200 Hz range.  That takes out the boom and clears things up a bit.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 01:18:16 PM »
I like my NT4, but it is also the only mic I have used besides a cheap sony I purchased through ebay, so I can't really comment, much like the DKlein situation.   It is stuck in an XY config though, and you can't change it... another thing that I don't like is that the plug on the end of the mic is a 7pin XLR (I believe...) and I haven't seen another cord that is that pin config and breaks out L and R into it's own 3 pin XLR , so be careful with the cord...

I do a lot of recording at small clubs and bars, primarily with local bands, and I am pretty satisfied with the results, but I have the upgrade bug, esp. with mics right now...  which is based more on wanting to hear other mics, as opposed to being dissatisfied with the NT4.

I recorded some very soft Americana at a somewhat open record shop in Detroit a couple days ago, running NT4>UA-5Wmod>NJB3, and almost everything was very clear on the recording, but the vokills sounded a little muffled... almost like there were no mids/highs coming out of the PA (the voc's were the only thing coming out of the PA) - but what I am unsure about is if this is an artifact of the NT4, or if it actually was recording accurately what was there... and the PA settings were terrible.

I just completed the rig (for now...) and haven't taped much with it, but when I get into a situation where everything is running through the PA at the club, this rig makes some pretty hot sounding recordings...

From what I have researched, the NT5's are the same mics as each of the capsules of the NT4, but you can arrange them into other configurations...

If you decide to go with an NT4, you can get them for about $270 on Ebay new... don't spend $450.

If you want some samples, I can give you samples of the NT4 > UA-5Wmod > NJB3.  Just let me know.

Peace out.  HTH-

Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 01:30:48 PM »
I haven't used the Rode mic, but i can say that Dave is a great guy over at Micsupply.com.  yeah his prices are a little high but the service is unbeatable.  he ovenights everything and the shipping is included in the price.  Not to mention he such a nice guy.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 01:37:33 PM »
I'm considering buying a Rode NT-4 from micsupply.com--to be used mostly with digital video, but with DAT as well.  Looking to hear from anyone who has used this mic--good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks for the input~

Mike

I've never used or heard the NT4, but feedback I've seen posted went something like this:

Near-field (on stage, for example) it sounds great (most mics do in that situation), but far-field it doesn't quite cut it (why, exactly, I don't recall).  For the money, there are other mics better suited for taping PAs.  

Search here for "Rode" and you'll find some feedback throughout the forum.  Likewise check out the Oade forums - both old and new.  You'll likely find some better detail about what I've posted.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 02:17:15 PM »

Thanks for the input~

Mike

Near-field (on stage, for example) it sounds great (most mics do in that situation), but far-field it doesn't quite cut it (why, exactly, I don't recall).  For the money, there are other mics better suited for taping PAs.  

Near-field prolly best describes how I primarily use it... not directly on stage, but usually about 20-30 feet or so from the primary PA speakers... In this setting, I have made some ripping recordings, but as Brian said, most mics prolly sound good in that situation...

Thread hi-jack:  Since this is the situation that I usually record in, are there any mics that specialize in this?  I would like to get mics that can be used in both a stealth-like setting, as well as an open taping setting, so I have been looking at the tiny DPA mics - like the 4071's that someone has in the yard sale... for this situation, which would be the best for me to get - hypercardoids/cardoids/omni's???  I am pretty uneducated in the strengthes of each of these types of patterns...  ???

Is there a thread or something that discusses this anywhere???

Thanks for the input -

Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 09:13:12 AM »
Hi-jack answer: dpa4060s (you pick the color of the capsule, and sensitivity level to get the exact model number- 4060,4063, etc)

Back to the R0desNT-4 .... could the X-Y config could be contribributing to the low-freq. response nulls ?
I hear alot of "dark" coloration reports. I wonder if this is uneven low-end response from low-end cancelation, related to distance from source.  Anyone have similar experience with other mics set-up X-Y ? Or is it just the caps and body....

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 02:13:22 PM »
Hi-jack answer: dpa4060s (you pick the color of the capsule, and sensitivity level to get the exact model number- 4060,4063, etc)

Back to the R0desNT-4 .... could the X-Y config could be contribributing to the low-freq. response nulls ?
I hear alot of "dark" coloration reports. I wonder if this is uneven low-end response from low-end cancelation, related to distance from source.  Anyone have similar experience with other mics set-up X-Y ? Or is it just the caps and body....

From what I have read on this board, x-y will make the low end sound punchy, but take out a lot of the boom in the low end.  Kick drums sound really punchy on my recordings.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 03:11:36 PM »
* looks good shoved in your pants pocket

LOL .... just wear a skin tight rainbow shirt and give the sequirty guard "the eye" and you'll be able to stelth anything  :o
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 10:39:14 PM »
* looks good shoved in your pants pocket

LOL .... just wear a skin tight rainbow shirt and give the sequirty guard "the eye" and you'll be able to stelth anything  :o

Well thanks for noticing...I'm used to being the only one who laughs at my humor but I thought that one wouldn't go so unnoticed.  Shades of the Spinal Tap cucumber wrapped in foil  ;)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

zowie

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 12:21:21 PM »
On several occassions I've found that the low end on the NT4 has sounded better than the live room sound where the bass was flabby or overloaded a small accoustic space.

I dunno about dark, but I enjoy a vintage rolled off sound.  If there's a problem, it's nothing that can be fixed with slight eq.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com