Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: k so i'm gonna buy my pre i guess.. hopefully really soon..  (Read 6369 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
k so i'm gonna buy my pre i guess.. hopefully really soon..
« on: November 16, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
trying to decide, i think i've come away from wanting a UA-5, modded of course, i wanted the warm mod, but i'm kinda going more towards an MP-2.  if i had the mp-2 my rig would be akg 391's > MP-2 > Casio DA-7.  anyone wanna give me a heads up on the mp2 or ua5 instead of just running phantom power..  thanks.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:k so i'm gonna buy my pre i guess.. hopefully really soon..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 07:01:53 PM »
I ran 393->mp2->d7 and really like the setup.  Personally I would get the warm ua-5 instead of the mp2.  Phishin has the same setup ( 391->warm ua-5 ) and his tapes from moe in portland came out pretty well I'm told.  There's a BT on etree of his source if ya want to hear the combo.

I suggest the ua-5 only because you can grow into it.  The mp2 is rocksolid and sounds great.  
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

DaryanLenz

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 07:19:24 PM »
The amt of warm mod ua-5 fluffin going on here almost makes you think it was a v3 ;)  I say go mp-2...it is the superior pre IMHO.  However, is the a/d in the da-7 any good?  I guess that would probably help sway you one way or the other.  

Happy Sunday Matt

D

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 07:44:58 PM »
like stated above, the mp-2 is rock solid.  It's proven itself and I doubt many who have used it have been disappointed (chime in if you think I'm wrong), however, the ua-5 is newer technology, it has computer recording capabilities, a/d, etc. it will probably will be your antidote for the upgrade bug a bit longer than the mp-2

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 07:45:26 PM »
The amt of warm mod ua-5 fluffin going on here almost makes you think it was a v3 ;)  

:clapping:
 :lol:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 08:06:47 PM »
i think it really depends on whether or not the internal a/d in your dat sounds - if it sounds crappy the ua-5 might be a better option since it is both a preamp and a/d, if it sounds good i'd go w/ the mp2 since imho it is a better sounding unit than the wmod ua-5.  i'm a big fan of the mp2 - i think it sounds great and is built like a tank.

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 09:12:48 PM »
The amt of warm mod ua-5 fluffin going on here almost makes you think it was a v3 ;)  I say go mp-2...it is the superior pre IMHO.  However, is the a/d in the da-7 any good?  I guess that would probably help sway you one way or the other.  

Happy Sunday Matt

D

i must have to agree here, this box isnt the end all be all of pre/ad's, i myself have used the mp-2, rock solid with some really great sound, i 'd say go with the mp-2 if your a/d is decent, i dont think the ua-5 is as great as everyone says it is, but thats just my opionion, i only use mine for transfers, thats all its good for, for me
-chris

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 09:25:18 PM »
To all you MP2 fluffers:

"I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of...disagree with you there."

FWIW, I like the wmod UA5 better than the MP2.

There are probably plenty of 391 > MP2/UA5 sources out there, Meximo - have you tracked any down and given them a listen?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 09:41:59 PM »
I like the mp-2....might be in the market for one at some point to use when I really need to take up little space.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 10:01:33 PM »
     I would go with the MP-2.  The tapes i have heard sound great.  I have heard some good UA-5 tapes but i like the MP-2 tapes better.
      For the price of a modded UA-5 coudn't you get an MP-2 and an ADC-20.  The ADC-20 goes for about 150-175 and a MP-2 goes for about 350-375.  I think you would be happier if you spent the extra 50-100 on MP-2>ADC-20.  The lows of the MP-2 would probably balance out the lack of lows in the ADC-20 and make for the perfect tape.

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 10:48:58 PM »
    I would go with the MP-2.  The tapes i have heard sound great.  I have heard some good UA-5 tapes but i like the MP-2 tapes better.
      For the price of a modded UA-5 coudn't you get an MP-2 and an ADC-20.  The ADC-20 goes for about 150-175 and a MP-2 goes for about 350-375.  I think you would be happier if you spent the extra 50-100 on MP-2>ADC-20.  The lows of the MP-2 would probably balance out the lack of lows in the ADC-20 and make for the perfect tape.
Well put. I agree...
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 02:03:33 AM »
IMO, always go for the pro gear, it's built much better than the consumer grade stuff

cpclark

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 02:50:08 AM »
i might be having an mp-2 for sale soon, i think my buyer is flaking out, so if there is any interest, pm me

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 03:24:33 PM »
so whats anyones thoughts on the DMIC-20?  Was thinking maybe this route as a possibility
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 03:28:06 PM »
so whats anyones thoughts on the DMIC-20?  Was thinking maybe this route as a possibility

To my ears, the DMIC-20, while offering nice detail and instrument separation, is fatiguingly bright and unnaturally digital sounding.

Have you checked out some wmod-UA5, MP2 > ADC-20, and DMIC-20 sources?  That'd be your best bet for making the decision.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com