Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Condensor mics  (Read 5187 times)

Offline brianrhg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Condensor mics
« on: November 18, 2003, 08:07:45 PM »
Ok, I have been taping by patching my minidisc for a while. I just bought 2 akg c1000s. I did not have enough money for a preamp, my parents wont let me get a job till the summer. I tried to record myself playing guitar using one mic, to cakewalk, but it sounds like shit, way too quiet. Is there a software program I can use like a preamp plugin? I really need to find a way to get around a preamp if I can.
Thanks,
Brian

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:Condensor mics
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 08:54:29 PM »
i don't think you need a preamp for those...you should be able to put a battery in them to provide power, and then you could adjust the gain on your md or probably mic input of the pc, though i wouldn't recommend going mic in on a pc because of added noise.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 09:15:15 PM »
i don't think you need a preamp for those...you should be able to put a battery in them to provide power, and then you could adjust the gain on your md or probably mic input of the pc, though i wouldn't recommend going mic in on a pc because of added noise.

If you need inexpensive gain, you could also add a pair of line transformers.  The line transformers should go in the chain after your power source.  So if you're using the internal batteries on the C1000S, which I think you are:

C1000s > Line Transformers > adapter* > MD/PC.

*the line transformers terminate in two 1/4" male connectors, you'll likely need a (2)x1/4" female > 1/8" stereo adapter, inexpensively available at RS.

Check the pinned Newbie Central thread in Archival Info forum, andalso search there for "transformers" and you'll find some part numbers.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 12:27:07 AM »
aight. i've had the same problem.  if you go into your volume controll, check where the mic adjustment, and you should be able to click "Advanced", click it, and click microphone boost.  cause the output of a mic is much less than a line out of a pre might have for instance.  it is such a low signal, that the computer can't really pick it up unless you use the 20 db boost that it has..  try that.. it should work,  if you need some help come here. pm me if you want..  i'm a bum i'm usually around most of the day.  peace.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 05:12:17 PM »
Hey,
Can't find the advanced settings. Can you walk me through to it? I'm new to this program.
Thanks, I really appreciate your help
Brian

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 07:50:46 PM »
Ok, I went into master volume, if thats what your talking about, checked mic boost and put it up all the way. All I hear is hiss, I can barely hear myself talk/play  in the mics. Same results on minidisc. Has anyone used these mics before? They really seem to suck right now. Maybe they run better off phantom power? I've got to be doing something wrong.

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
the c1000's dont suck by any means, i used a pair for 6 months with very good results, you need a preamp and or line transfermer's preferably a preamp, i used an inexpensive denecke ad-20 pre/ad with the minidisc i had and was very pleased with the tapes i pulled for the money the gear costs, dont write them off so quickly

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 11:44:38 PM »
Have you tried recording to your MD yet?  What are you recording to on your PC?  What type of interconnects are you using?  When I first started I  had RS cables and they added so much noise.  
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 03:38:16 PM »
Yes, I have radio shack cables. When recording to md and pc I get a lof of fuzz, and can barely hear what the mics pick up. So is there anyway I can record myself play onto cakewalk without spending any more money? Im broke...
Thanks for all your help

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 12:49:44 PM »
On your MD have you tried recording to both the mic (and adjusting the gain) and the line in?  And where are you located, maybe you could meet up with someone on the board and work on figuring it out.  Also there are some pretty cheap used preamps on ebay for single mics.  The rolls mp-13 has phantom power and it would be worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2574458064&category=29950

good luck
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 03:50:25 PM »
Hey,
Thanks ill bid on that. Absolutely no noise on the line on, barely any on the mic input. I live in Savannah, GA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2003, 12:14:45 AM »
Ok, I bought some new cables and taped a concert to minidisc. It was audible, much louder than before, but still quieter than most shows Ive heard, still...not too shabby. I think I'm gonna go with a preamp.
Thanks yall for your help,
Brian

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 08:12:10 AM »
no problem brian, good luck.

btw, what did you tape?

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 05:28:18 PM »
I taped myself messing around on an acoustic, and the battle of the bands at my school. I dont have any stands, so they put my mics on top of the speakers, not the ideal placement I guess, but it really sounded ok. This weekend im gonna tape Stewart and Winfield.

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
Good luck with the show.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 02:47:12 PM »
C1000s should not need line xformers to go mic in on your MD.

Offline brianrhg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2003, 01:20:10 AM »
The files are offline now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 06:50:52 PM by brianrhg »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com