Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad 3 Questions  (Read 3236 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Nomad 3 Questions
« on: November 21, 2003, 12:27:54 PM »
I'M GOING TO PURCHASE A NOMAD 3 THIS WEEKEND FOR SHOW TAPING AND I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD MIC I CAN GET HOPEFULY IN THE 100.00 PRICE RANGE. ALSO, HOW LONG DOES THE BATTERY LAST FOR RECORDING? I'M GOING TO A SHOW WITH ABOUT 7 BANDS THAT WILL PLAY AROUND 1 HOUR SETS(LINKIN PARK, OFFSPRING, PENNYWISE, P.O.D.,DISTILLERS, ETC.) AROUND HOW MANY SETS WILL FIT ON THE 20 GB HARD DRIVE?

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Re:Nomad 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 12:43:12 PM »
I'M GOING TO PURCHASE A NOMAD 3 THIS WEEKEND FOR SHOW TAPING AND I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD MIC I CAN GET HOPEFULY IN THE 100.00 PRICE RANGE. ALSO, HOW LONG DOES THE BATTERY LAST FOR RECORDING? I'M GOING TO A SHOW WITH ABOUT 7 BANDS THAT WILL PLAY AROUND 1 HOUR SETS(LINKIN PARK, OFFSPRING, PENNYWISE, P.O.D.,DISTILLERS, ETC.) AROUND HOW MANY SETS WILL FIT ON THE 20 GB HARD DRIVE?

A couple of things...

As far as a really cheap mic goes, you can get a Sony ECM-MS907 for $100 new.  I used one forever recording my own band, and while it's not audiophile, it'll get the job done.  If you're willing to hunt a bit, you can sometimes find AT822's in that range used.  (A friend picked one up for $125, and though it's all scratched up, it sounds fine.)  Both of these mics take a single AA battery internally for power.

Really, though, the NJB3 needs an outboard preamp and A/D converter to sound good.  (Opinion varies on this, so look around for the other side of it.)  I use the Denecke AD-20, which provides both in a nice little package that runs off a single 9v for a LONG time -- like 8 hours.  They run for around $325 new and can be had for much less used.

The next step up would be mics like the AKG C1000s (about $300/pr) or the Oktava MK012s (from $250-$350).  The C1000s also take 9v batteries internally, but the the Oktavas require an external power source like the Denecke PS-2 ($150) or the Rolls PB224 ($100).

A single internal battery on the NJB3 will give you 2.5 to 3 hours of recording.  My experience (including power conservation such as turning off the backlight and keeping the headphone volume level at 0 throughout the night) is 2.5 hours.  The second battery ($40 or so) will get you up to 5 hours reliably.  For more than that, you could consider building your own power supply.  Some people have had good luck with a 12v SLA and the car adapter.   For 7 hours, though, you're going to need something special.

In terms of what fits on the hard drive, just think in terms of CDs.  74 minutes of music is approx 650 meg, so that's how much it'd take up as an uncompressed WAV on the NJB3's hard drive.   Looks like 7 hours should be about 4 gig, which would easily fit.

Lastly, most all of the bands you listed do not allow taping, which means that you're either going to have to "stealth it" -- meaning hide your recorder/mic/etc. and sneak it through and hope you don't get caught recording -- or pass on it.

Of course, if you're considering stealth, most of my above advice is worthless because you'll never want to carry all that crap in. :)  Maybe your best bet for stealthing 7 hours of music cheaply would be a MD and some inexpensive AND unobtrusive mics like the Core Sounds or the like.  You'd only need MD, battery box, mics, and a pocket full of discs and AA's.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 03:05:51 PM »
Get a set of Core Sounds Cardioids or a set of Sound professionals CMC-4's  and a battery box.  if you don't have a pre-amp, use the line input of the nomad rather than the Mic Input, as the MIC input has a "fake" gain control on it.  

I would stick with the nomad over MD for a couple of reasons:  

1- It takes 5 minutes to download the show to your PC with the Nomad, and about twice as long as the show itself with an MD.  

2 - With MD you lose a generation's worth of sound quality in the transfer process.  You also have the chance that your PC's sound card sucks, which further degrades the signal.

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 03:23:04 PM »
Get a set of Core Sounds Cardioids or a set of Sound professionals CMC-4's  and a battery box.  if you don't have a pre-amp, use the line input of the nomad rather than the Mic Input, as the MIC input has a "fake" gain control on it.  

I would stick with the nomad over MD for a couple of reasons:  

1- It takes 5 minutes to download the show to your PC with the Nomad, and about twice as long as the show itself with an MD.  

2 - With MD you lose a generation's worth of sound quality in the transfer process.  You also have the chance that your PC's sound card sucks, which further degrades the signal.

All true...  The only reason I said he might want to use MD is that there's no reasonable and cost effective way to get 7 hours of recording STEALTH with the NJB3.  I guess you could buy four batteries, but for $175 that's a bit much, yeah?

I love my NJB3, have an MD as well.  Good advice on all counts.  (Transferring sucks.)

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 06:09:04 PM »
I would go with coresounds over that crappy sony any day ... those sony mics can be alright if the SPLs are just right ... but most of the time they cant handle to spl's.... and definately not Linkin Park, Offspring ect. Also, i personaly think the A>D is ok in the JB3 if your on a buget .... but the preamp is complete CRAP. So coresounds with a battery box is a good way to go.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 07:15:21 PM »
Alright, I'm a total newbie. Just considering getting into taping, just signed up here today.  Been checking out the NJB3, reading all these posts around seems like people love it, safe to say? Also recomendations if I were to go stealth, mics? To patch into a soundboard, I would just need a 1/4" to a mini, with out all the a/d, preamp stuff? Is that all I would need to get good recordings?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 06:22:17 AM by MATTZS »
STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 09:28:31 AM »

The next step up would be mics like the AKG C1000s (about $300/pr) or the Oktava MK012s (from $250-$350).  

Guitar center has the MK012's on sale right now for $99 a pair, but as Chuck mentioned, you will need a phantom power source, and a T-Bar (at minimum) for your stand...

Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 09:34:13 AM »
Alright, I'm a total newbie. Just considering getting into taping, just signed up here today.  Been checking out the NJB3, reading all these posts around seems like people love it, safe to say? Also recomendations if I were to go stealth, mics? To patch into a soundboard, I would just need a 1/4" to a mini, with out all the a/d, preamp stuff? Is that all I would need to get good recordings?

Well, good is subjective... but at minimum, for patching out of the soundboard is going to require several cords, not used simultaneously, but depending on what output from the board you can use... many use a 1/4" to mini (if you can only use the headphones out, for example...) ; My mixer at home has a 'tape-out' (heh?) which is a R and L RCA - so you will need a RCA-> stereo miniplug cable in case as well... might as well get one of those adapters from 1/4" to 1/8" just in case as well...

As for mics, it depends on what kinds of venues you will be recording in, but keep in mind you will have to get a battery box as well... small, crappy venues, best off getting hyper-cardoids.  This is the kind of recording I do primarily, so I will defer to the experts in larger, more acoustically sound rooms for other advice.

Peace-
Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 03:35:57 AM »
cheap mics, better than sony's ecm, cheaper than core sounds, but still sound pretty decent...check out www.dynamicaudio.cjb.net  i think i got the binaural ones for like $130 and they do a nice job...well a decent job, but hands down better than the ECM.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 12:17:11 PM »

Guitar center has the MK012's on sale right now for $99 a pair, but as Chuck mentioned, you will need a phantom power source, and a T-Bar (at minimum) for your stand...

Pfife

I can't seem to find them listed,

ya gotta link?
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com