Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first tape (help)  (Read 2566 times)

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
My first tape (help)
« on: November 28, 2003, 10:06:04 AM »
Thank you all in advance for the help. I taped my first show off the sound board at a local club. It doesn't sound good, it was mixed mono panned left, the vocals were far to high, the kick drum distorts. I was using a D8 level was down to 4 , read hear not to go below that because it adds its own distortion, plugged into the tape out. Now I don't recall the show sounding as bad as the recording (levels like they are) Did I screw something up, or is it totaly the sound board mix. Also Is there a DB reducer for knocking the levels down, how about a mono spliter type thing or is it better to just convert the one track stereo to two track mono on my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 09:29:27 AM by MATTZS »
STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:My first tape
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 10:46:49 AM »
SBDs in a club usualy suck arse ... To iprove your tapes the obveous step is to get some mics ;D but if the club has a regular sound guy and he is realy realy nice ... you may be able to get him to mix you a seperate mix / get acces to make a seperate mix ... this would involve either using a Aux Channel on the main mixer (which the sound guy would probibly do himself) OR letting you plug into the individual channel outs (note: not all boards have these) then you would be doing the mix yourself and would need ~$100 worth of equipment (cheapo beringer mixer and patch cables)
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 04:04:07 PM »
Yeah, small club mixes often aren't great for recording.  If you're receiving a mono feed, I don't think it matters whether you split the signal to both channels pre-D8, or if you do it in post on your PC.  Either way, it's still a mono recording.

Were you recording mic-in or line-in on your D8?  I believe brickwalling is only an issue when running mic-in, but I could be wrong.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 09:28:48 AM »
Ran it line in. Please excuse my ignorance, mics will have no problem with a very loud show? This was a metal show.
STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:My first tape (help)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 03:18:52 PM »
Any decent mic can handle a metal show ... crappy sony mics cant though. If your looking at mic stats, the stat your looking for is called "max SPL" (SPL = Sound Pressure Level) ... parhaps someone could chime in with what kind of SPL would be expected at a LOUD show ?  My guess is between 110-125, but i could be wwwaaaayyyy off.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:My first tape (help)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 03:26:32 PM »
and when i spoke of "crappy sony mics" i spoke of the ECM-MS907, which has a max SPL of 110.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/150434/SOECMMS907/REG/1458

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com