Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Set Up Problem  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Breaking The Law

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Set Up Problem
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
Hello everyone. I'll start by saying I'm not a technical person, don't get into the nuts and bolts of recording. I have been going to shows for 33 years and got into taping because I didn't want to keep relying on other people to tape shows and I loved collecting shows I was at. For Christmas back in 2009 my wife got me a Zoom recorder and used that for a few years until I wanted to move up to external mics and someone recommended the Sony PCM-10. I bought SP-BMC-3 (mics) and a SP Battery Box. I felt my recordings came out fine, good enough for me to enjoy which was the point, and I share them on Dime for others.
                                                      Anyway, last year I uploaded one of my shows to my computer to split it and saw that the right channel had drops in it, just a straight line in spots. I changed the batteries, checked the connections and continued to have hit or miss problems. I contacted Sound Professionals and ordered a new battery box. Same problem happened. Sent in both battery boxes and the mics. They did a few tweaks to them, but continued to have problems. Again very hit or miss. Some shows I recorded no problems. Others had major drop outs. Someone recommended that I format the SD card everytime I wanted to to erase data, instead of just simply deleting it. Tried that and recorded 4 shows with no problems. Then last night I went to a show and the problem raised it's ugly head again. About 30 minutes of the show the right channel just dropped out. Then it came back and had no problems.
                                                     Anyone have an idea as to what my problem could be? Is is time to replace the Sony PCM-10? I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last. Also brings up a follow up question, what should I get since Sony discontinued the PCM-10? I like the look of the Roland R-05, seems to have the same kind of function as the Sony, but it looks like that has been discontinued. I'm looking to spend about $200 on a replacement if needed.
                       Sorry for the rambling post, just looking for some guidance on this problem, that is really frustrating me!
Thanks for your time in advance, it's appreciated.
BTL

mfrench

Re: Set Up Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »
Have you set it all up at home, and given all of the connection points a good shaking/tweaking?  If a cable is going bad, or, for example, a cracked 1/8" stereo connector input, you'll need to id' the problem, and this is a good starting point.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
What Moke said above...

My experience with an similar set-up-chain is that the cables or the input-jack of the batterybox can sometimes be the problem. Not the mic´s themselves.
Sometimes it helps to "turn the cable around" until you see that the 2 stereo channels are recording as they should.
This is what I can think of at the moment. If I remember something else I´ll post a update.
Hope you´ll tape soon again with no prob´s!

Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
Is it always the same channel or if you switch left and right mics does the problem switch channels.  Set up at home,  put on headphones and see if you can reproduce the problem.  If its a loose connection, is it something a strip of tape can be used to secure the cables or connections from moving.  I always tape everything down to prevent cables from coming loose.  Can you borrow a recorder (type doesn't really matter) and see if you can reproduce.  It may be frustrating but taking some time to find the culprit is key to fixing the issue.  If its one channel you can sort of fix it in post production in soundforge, audacity or whatever software you use.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:54:38 PM »
Also, does this happen regardless of whether you're using the Mic or Line jacks of the M10?

Offline Breaking The Law

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
First, thank you all for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
                     So what I did was set it all up and turned on my stereo and put my mics in front of the speakers. It seems to always be the right channel. I switch the mics from one speaker to the other and it's still the right side that cuts out. When I put the battery box plug into both line in or the mic in port, it does it also. When I take the mic plug and turn it around in the battery box input port I can get it to cut out on the right channel. Doing that spinning will cause it to cut out as well as spike. I mentioned I have 2 battery boxes, so I switched out that can can still get it to cut out. So is it my mic's? It's a pretty sturdy looking plug, and again they were just sent in last year to be evaluated. I have also had them since 2012, is it time to replace them? I have no idea on how long they are to last.
Thanks!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »
If you've switched the mikes, right to left, and left one to right and it is still the same channel, then it something else down the line. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Breaking The Law

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »
If you've switched the mikes, right to left, and left one to right and it is still the same channel, then it something else down the line.

Now when you say switch, you mean moving the one that is the left one to the right side, and vise versa right? Because when I did that and tapped the top of the mike no matter where I had them, the right was always the right, and the left was always the left, at least according to the levels on my recorder.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
His mics are wired to TRS 1/8" plug, hard for him to switch mic channels vs BB or recorder channels.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
Try cleaning the connection points.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Breaking The Law

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »

What is a good cleaning solution?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
When I put the battery box plug into both line in or the mic in port, it does it also. When I take the mic plug and turn it around in the battery box input port I can get it to cut out on the right channel. Doing that spinning will cause it to cut out as well as spike. I mentioned I have 2 battery boxes, so I switched out that can can still get it to cut out. So is it my mic's?

When you rotate the mic plug in the battery box input jack, the right channel cuts out, regardless of which battery box? That sure sounds like a problem somewhere in the mic cable, then.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »

Deoxit - I use it on all my connection points every 6 months or so. More often if my gear is seeing heavier use outside.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

ilduclo

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
the wiggle each item really should work to isolate it, if it is in a wire. Try putting on headphones, run the levels real high and don't put them in front of the speakers. just hold each mic separately and move the cables all over, turning and slightly twisting them. Try all the wires and rotate all the connections if they're rotateable.

I'm guessing wires, either in the mic cables or the battery box.  Good luck, it can be really frustrating!

Also, seeing as you have the m10, it had internal mics, so you can just try it alone without the external mics or batt box. Again, headphones on, run levels really high, walk around moving the m10 into various positions. That should eliminate the recorder (except for the jack) from the issue. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the recorder is probably OK.

One other idea. If you have pals with gear, try theirs in your recorder. If not, music stores or electronic stores, or even electronic recyclers might have something you can "try out" right on site and see if that's an issue.  Others here may loan you something, especially if you're local.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »

Deoxit - I use it on all my connection points every 6 months or so. More often if my gear is seeing heavier use outside.
seconded  Caig Deoxit    http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Breaking The Law

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 12:24:52 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. Going to order some of that cleaner and try some of the other ideas, and worst case purchase some new mics and go from there.
Thanks again!

Offline KISSFAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. Going to order some of that cleaner and try some of the other ideas, and worst case purchase some new mics and go from there.
Thanks again!
I recently had an issue like this (one channel dropout for chunks of time that didn't happen all the time) that turned out to be the right angle connector on the mics. had to send them in for repair.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com