Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Weird recording issue (levels on one channel off)  (Read 2887 times)

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Weird recording issue (levels on one channel off)
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »
This seemed to be the best forum, as I have no idea what the actual problem in the chain was.

Taped a show recently, and while the recording came out fine otherwise, one channel is off.

The odd thing is it's not just 1 channel lower than the other.  The left channel is fine.  The right channel starts off a pretty much the same level as the left (I was slightly to one side).  Then it gradually grows lower throughout the show, finally ending quite a bit lower than the left channel.  Maybe 20dB or so.

Other than being lower it sounds fine.  I drifted a little bit trying to avoid a drunk yeller near me, but I didn't drift outside the building. :)

Any idea what could cause this?  Battery maybe?  New batteries in the R-09, but I've used the battery box 9 volt several times before.  Why only 1 channel?

And how can I fix this?  Even the dreaded RMS normalization doesn't even it out.  Looking at having to match volume for each channel manually, song to song.  :-\

Thanks for any help.

EDIT TO ADD:  Gear was DPA 4060 (1/8") > SP-SPSB-6 > Edirol R-09
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:28:23 PM by itook2much »
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: Weird recording issue (levels on one channel off)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »
Here's a pic.

“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline mosquito

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am the Bug!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »
I'll play.

Assuming you don't have mice in your pocket, I'll guess that there is / was a problem with decreasing voltage to the right mic.  What could have caused it?  Dunno.  Was it a humid room with condensation  a possibility?  A bad cable?  Dirty contacts?  Separate preamps and one battery was low?  (Don't think it was that though 'cause it didn't go to zero.)

Can you reproduce it at home?

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »
I had this problem with my DPA.  Your mic is starting to die :(  If you send it to DPA they will sell you a referb for about half the price of a new one (and they will match it with the good mic at no additional cost). 

I know its a pain in the ass but Scott (the service tech) told me there isn't much else they can do for that mic.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
I've had this problem, although not with DPAs, when there was just a simple short (a lot easier to fix than a dead mic).

In any event, you should ask Len at Coresound to take a look at them.  Note that it is generally better, from a customer service perspective, to give Len a call rather than try and reach him by e-mail.

This seemed to be the best forum, as I have no idea what the actual problem in the chain was.

Taped a show recently, and while the recording came out fine otherwise, one channel is off.

The odd thing is it's not just 1 channel lower than the other.  The left channel is fine.  The right channel starts off a pretty much the same level as the left (I was slightly to one side).  Then it gradually grows lower throughout the show, finally ending quite a bit lower than the left channel.  Maybe 20dB or so.

Other than being lower it sounds fine.  I drifted a little bit trying to avoid a drunk yeller near me, but I didn't drift outside the building. :)

Any idea what could cause this?  Battery maybe?  New batteries in the R-09, but I've used the battery box 9 volt several times before.  Why only 1 channel?

And how can I fix this?  Even the dreaded RMS normalization doesn't even it out.  Looking at having to match volume for each channel manually, song to song.  :-\

Thanks for any help.

EDIT TO ADD:  Gear was DPA 4060 (1/8") > SP-SPSB-6 > Edirol R-09
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
Len is the biggest flake on the planet, why would you send him your mic when you could send it to DPA? 
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
Len is the biggest flake on the planet, why would you send him your mic when you could send it to DPA?

From his signature file, it looked like the OP is using DPA 4060s put together by Coresound.  The short could be anywhere in the chain, not just in the mic itself. I don't think DPA is in the business of servicing private label power supplies and cables.  Also, I have no idea what DPA charges for service.  But you're absolutely right that DPA has a great reputation for customer service.

Len fixed my DPA 4061s in about a month and they came back with nice new connectors and basically a full reverb that I was happy with.  I admit to being unhappy at times with the e-mail responsiveness, which is why I suggested calling on the phone.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
I do have a set of CS HEBs that I need to send out for repair (seems to be a loose connection in the jack).  But this set was DPA 4060s terminated in a 1/8" jack.

I ran them for another show last night, and everything's fine.  Odd.  Maybe it was a dirty contact problem or something.

I'll keep an eye on it I guess, and have 'em checked out if it occurs again.

Thanks for the ideas.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:15 PM »
Did you replace the 9v in your bb?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
to be quite honest, both channels look fucked up.

but, in regards to the right channel loosing volume like that, i have had that same problem when i had a under performing battery powering my pre or battery box.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
Did you replace the 9v in your bb?

Yes.  It was a relatively new battery, only used it for a few shows, but I figured I'd start there.  Guess that might have been it.

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »
to be quite honest, both channels look fucked up.

Why? One channel seems to be normal.. ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com