Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade my bookshelf/monitors  (Read 2243 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Upgrade my bookshelf/monitors
« on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
So i am currently running B&W 600S3 monitors and will eventually be upgrading them in a few months.
All around the B&Ws are decent but are lacking compared to my headphones (AKG 701).

The space in my apartment only allows for bookshelf sized speakers, no floor standers, planars, etc..
I know these will be lacking the thumping bass but when listening to them i expect the bass to still be there.

I am currently looking @ the B&W 805s and the Dynaudio Contour S.14.  my budget will be 1500-2k
Currently the Dynaudio's are my favorite but the pair of B&Ws i listened to were not fully broken in and were powered by a rotel amp.
I hope to keep the gear listed below in my signature.

What other speakers that fit my needs do i need to listen too.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Upgrade my bookshelf/monitors
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
How about The Eminent Technology’s LFT-16:

http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

p.s. as you can see from the avitar, we're also fans of the k701s
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Upgrade my bookshelf/monitors
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
So i am currently running B&W 600S3 monitors and will eventually be upgrading them in a few months.
All around the B&Ws are decent but are lacking compared to my headphones (AKG 701).

The space in my apartment only allows for bookshelf sized speakers, no floor standers, planars, etc..
I know these will be lacking the thumping bass but when listening to them i expect the bass to still be there.

I am currently looking @ the B&W 805s and the Dynaudio Contour S.14.  my budget will be 1500-2k
Currently the Dynaudio's are my favorite but the pair of B&Ws i listened to were not fully broken in and were powered by a rotel amp.
I hope to keep the gear listed below in my signature.

What other speakers that fit my needs do i need to listen too.

In what way are the 600S3 lacking? Important to know :)

Unfortunately loudspeaker preference & performance is simply impossible to predict/recommend since your room, placement etc will impact on the final sound in a big way. Speaker sound in the store is usually nothing like in your room, it's always nice if the store will let you borrow a pair of speakers over the weekend? 

I have a set of 600S3's btw and use them in my monitoring setup as an example of a good mid-range hi-fi, I hear two problems with them -

1. They are a bit 'honkey' around 130-50 Hz, simply the result of the relatively small box-size and porting. Although this does make percussion sound a little more 'punchy'.
2. They are lacking real bass information below 50 Hz.

If your main problem is a lack of Bass, have you considered getting the matching Sub? (ASW608) for example. It's amazing what a difference a sub can make to the overall sound. You may also like to audition the replacement (slightly larger version) 685.  B&W IMO make great speakers, to good principles. 

digifish

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:06:59 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Upgrade my playback
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »
So i added some new XLRs and speaker cables into my mix and it really cleaned up the mids and added the separation I was lacking compared to listening w/ headphones.  I am really happy w/ the stage of my system.  I probably won't change out the B&Ws anytime soon, i have a local dealer that is willing to get a set dynaudio S 1.4s in, to demo @ home.

Yea so now we are at the lack of bass stage.  Velodyne Minivee 10 or a B & W ASW610 seem to fit the bill. 

My main question is how will this integrate into my system?  Will I take the RCAs output from the benchmark and feed the sub.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Upgrade my playback
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »
My main question is how will this integrate into my system?  Will I take the RCAs output from the benchmark and feed the sub.

I would think that should work.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com