Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: small mp3 playback device for running etc. Current day recomendations?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
We all know these threads: people want to listen to tunes while working out and ask advice on what item to get. This is just another one, but I'm not super up to date on the current devices that are currently available (these things get better and smaller so fast, they are like the computer industry!)

so yeah, I use a Nomad 3 to tape shows and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. But it is too big to use while working out. I want something light and small for mp3 playback. I want a screen (no shuffle) and i was hoping to get it pretty cheap.

I'm thinking of looking on ebay for a sony walkman core

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=FE6-Gb6pI9C_Cf1bUeu0EvG59QYW8A2KzAw=?CategoryName=pa_flashMemory&ProductSKU=NWE505BLUE&Dept=audio&INT=sstyle-audio-deptfeature-NWE505BLUE|sstyle:sy_dept_content_b:audio

1gb for $150 new .. 512 for $130 new .. if I went new, i'd go for the 1GB. double storage for an extra 20 bones is a no brainer.. but anyone have other things they like? ... i'm not an ipod elitist who feels they need one to be cool. plus ipods are 200-300 bucks which is way more then i was hoping to spend. $150 is about the limit here... have the early gen iRivers come down in price in the used markets on ebay? .. what is the 'lowest' / 'oldest' model that will accept the rockbox firmware hack?

thanks for any suggestions!

tyler
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline jpschust

• Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: small mp3 playback device for running etc. Current day recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:02:31 PM »
its all about the ipod nano and arm band to work out in.  i use mine like nobody's business.

make sure it is flash based though- no skips.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
I just bought a 2GB USB stick. are there any players that can use that space / files to 'click in' and play music from them?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:24:33 AM »
I just got a Samsung YP-U1Z (1GB) and I love the thing already.  It is very small, and has an integrated USB jack so you don't have to fuck with cables or anything like that.  It is about the size of an iPod Shuffle, but is not the same size so you can't use the accessories for it.  I got mine as a present, but I have seen them for between $100 and $125, depending where you look.

The Sonys were nice, but more expensive.  They have an insane battery life, like 50 hours or something like that.  My Samsung only has a 13 hour battery life and takes about 2.5 hours to charge.  I wanted a Samsung because the issue with many Sony products is DRM shit, or not being able to play some types of music files because they aren't copy-protected.  Be sure to investigate that with Sony products before you purchase them.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:39:08 AM »
love my ipod shuffle.  so small.  perfect for the gym.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »
love my ipod shuffle.  so small.  perfect for the gym.

qftftyd
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com