Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tubed headphone amps?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
tubed headphone amps?
« on: October 15, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
Anyone one using a tubed headphone amp?  I'm looking for something relatively cheap to drive some grado SR80s in my office.

I found this on Ebay and was wondering if anyone has experience with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-2-II-Tube-headphone-amplifier-amp-for-HD650_W0QQitemZ250037550005QQihZ015QQcategoryZ40137QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: tubed headphone amps?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:21:44 PM »
I don't have any info on that particular headphone amp but I'm a very happy owner of a Singlepower MPX3.  Try searching over at head-fi.org, I'm sure there will be atleast a couple folks over there with firsthand experience.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »
Anyone one using a tubed headphone amp?  I'm looking for something relatively cheap to drive some grado SR80s in my office.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-2-II-Tube-headphone-amplifier-amp-for-HD650_W0QQitemZ250037550005QQihZ015QQcategoryZ40137QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe (may be wrong) I briefly looked into, the feedback I found was mediocre.  If it's the same one, (pretty sure it is) some people said they'd prefer if it had more common tubes and they're rolling choices were pretty limited.  

For an inexpensive amp I've read some decent reviews on the Antique Sound Labs MG Head amp, nothing spectacular, but that it was def worth the small price.

PM sent...
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:32:42 PM »
I have been looking into the same thing as when the baby is born my days of music at whatever level 24x7 will be limited.  This guy is local to NC and sells a few...I need to get over and see if he will let me hear them first...

http://www.moon-audio.com/

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »
That moon-audio gear looks awesome.  I need to stay within a budget on this project and I don't want anything too flashy on my desk right now.  Someday, after we have revenue .... ;-)

The ASL looks sweet but I'm trying to keep this really cheap.  I'm putting a DAT deck on my desk and starting to transfer all my old masters over to HD, so I want something that will sound better than the DA20s headphone port without starting a home vs office audio arms race.

Coincidentally, an LD2 just appeared on agon.   I read a thread on headfi but didn't see anything bad except that the tube selection was limited and the unit runs hot.   I can live with all those things.  The sonic reviews seem good - not raving lunatic good but consistantly happy.  Maybe I'll try it and see how it sounds.  As much as I enjoyed tube rolling the CJ gear, this is just going to be a utility piece.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »
Get a millet!  I have one and it drives my SR60's to new heights...takes off that nasty brightness and makes the cans sound much smoother.  It's a kick ass tube amp.  Check head-fi for more info on it...just run a search.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Invisible

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »

I know that many of you may disagree with me, but in my experiences in this field I would steer clear of tube gear from China. Just my opinion though.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »
I have been looking into the same thing as when the baby is born my days of music at whatever level 24x7 will be limited.  This guy is local to NC and sells a few...I need to get over and see if he will let me hear them first...

http://www.moon-audio.com/

Nice find!  The Creek amps look interesting (and reasonably priced).

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
Get a millet!  I have one and it drives my SR60's to new heights...takes off that nasty brightness and makes the cans sound much smoother.  It's a kick ass tube amp.  Check head-fi for more info on it...just run a search.

I've spent a little bit of time with the Millet and I was unimpressed.  IMHO he'd be better off picking up a used Musical Fidelity amp.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 06:58:15 PM »

I've spent a little bit of time with the Millet and I was unimpressed.  IMHO he'd be better off picking up a used Musical Fidelity amp.

Do you have a ballpark idea on what a used X-CAN v3 goes for?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 08:40:26 PM »
I know that many of you may disagree with me, but in my experiences in this field I would steer clear of tube gear from China. Just my opinion though.

All the tube gear I've ever owned came from 10 miles down the road.  So I don't have an opinion one way or another about chinese gear.   You're not the first person I've heard recommend caution.

So I sent an email to that guy with the LD2 listed for $75.  I was sencond to ask so I probably won't get it.  There are people in head-fi who are looking for one so if I don't like it I'm sure it will find a home again at that price.

I might get one of the bigger units someday but then I'd need to upgrade headphones, and we all know how this story ends  ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 09:20:27 PM »
I might get one of the bigger units someday but then I'd need to upgrade headphones, and we all know how this story ends  ;)

:hmmm:

Life before headphones:  :kiss2:

Life after headphones:  :headphones: :angry3:

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »

:o

Mine is a custom-built one, not sure how different the parts are in there, but tube rolling does matter.  Plus, it doesn't like every headphone you plug in, the synergy is best with Grado's and Sennheiser's.  It sounds awful with my shures.  It's a popular amp over at head-fi

Lil' Kim Jong-Il , check the FS amp forum at head-fi, maybe you'll find a deal in there.  I still think a millet and a SR80 will be magic together.  It's gonna tame those sharp highs a bit and bring out the midrange...yummy.... :D

Head-fi's amp forum (FS forum):  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
Mine is a custom-built one, not sure how different the parts are in there, but tube rolling does matter.  Plus, it doesn't like every headphone you plug in, the synergy is best with Grado's and Sennheiser's.  It sounds awful with my shures.  It's a popular amp over at head-fi

Lil' Kim Jong-Il , check the FS amp forum at head-fi, maybe you'll find a deal in there.  I still think a millet and a SR80 will be magic together.  It's gonna tame those sharp highs a bit and bring out the midrange...yummy.... :D

Head-fi's amp forum (FS forum):  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I forget who made the one I listened to but if memory serves correct it was one of the cheaper versions and maybe replacing the stock tubes would have made a difference as well.  That said I auditioned it with both the RS-1 and HP-2 and both combinations just seemed off.  Like they say different strokes for different folks.   :)

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out, if you buy used you can resell it later at little to no loss.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com