Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help improving onstage recording...  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Help improving onstage recording...
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:50:21 PM »
Hey all,

So I recently took over a gig recording Wayne Krantz at the 55 Bar in NYC. Its a tiny venue, and there is no PA so its onstage or nothin'. the band is jammed into a corner (see diagram below). I ran XY because I figured any other config would be too spread (all drums left, all guitar right). I ran at about table/guitar amp head height. Upon listening back Wayne (and I) feel that the recording lacks bass and it is a little too "seperated" in his words (i dont really mind the image, but i agree it can be somewhat annoying to have all guitar right, all drums left). We both agree it is better to solve this problem at the source, not in post with a bass boost.

I run SP C4s > UA-5 > IBM t41 (unfortunately at 16/44.1 cuz wayne wants copies he can listen to immediately and i dont feel like sticking around to dither after the show).

Here are my thoughts on how to fix these situations:

1) run ORTF in the same spot, raise the mics more to the 4-5' level so they are above the guitar amp and thus get more bass. My fear with this though is that it will worsen the "too seperate" problem of guitar left, drums right.

2) run ORTF at closer to 6' but angled downwards slightly with a boom as to get more of the bass

3) run spread omnis, 4-5' up, ~10" apart (about the most i can do with my current set up)

SO: what would you guys suggest? any other ideas which may help? Check out the diagram and let me know!

MP3 sample to follow shortly

Thanks!
-Adam

FYI: in the attached diagram, the black sections extend all the way back, as do the tables, it is a long narrow bar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:01:36 AM by GQJSP »

Offline Tall Adam

Re: Help improving onstage recording...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:14:24 PM »
ok sample wouldnt attach, so i used my webspace and put a longer one up there:

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~aea260/sample1.mp3

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:22:40 PM »
What did the person that had the gig before you do that was satisfactory?

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:28:16 PM »
no idea...i know he runs schoeps though...

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:29:34 PM »
FWIW, where I was sitting (see diagram) I couldnt hear the bass player much (which is a shame cuz he was SICK) and I have made Wayne aware of this. The recording sounds much like my seat did.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:00:25 AM »
1) run ORTF in the same spot, raise the mics more to the 4-5' level so they are above the guitar amp and thus get more bass. My fear with this though is that it will worsen the "too seperate" problem of guitar left, drums right.

2) run ORTF at closer to 6' but angled downwards slightly with a boom as to get more of the bass

ORTF is definitely gonna exaggerate the stereo separation but IME does give better bass response than X-Y.

3) run spread omnis, 4-5' up, ~10' apart (about the most i can do with my current set up)

How wide is the stage? This is the option I would choose but I don't think I'd split them 10' at that close distance...more like 2' or 3' at the most.

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:01:17 AM »
"stage" is as wide as a drumset and a marshall cab. literally, next to the cab is the walking space to the bathroom, behind the corner where the band plays.

shit i meant 10 inches, ill fix that

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 05:18:26 PM »
bump^ anyone got any help for me?

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 06:33:15 PM »
i'm not gonna be any help with this as i've never stage-taped, so i'll leave it to the experts.  but any chance this Krantz stuff is available for sharing?  or is it just for his own purposes?

agreed.  this is some sick stuff, and i'd love to get a copy!  if not, i do understand though.

+T for your recording gig, and good luck with improving your on-stage recordings.

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 07:01:28 PM »
krantz's stuff is only available via his website, it think its 4.95 per set, mp3 downloads.

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »
How about running the Omni caps on the C4's instead of the Cards?  That would certainly take care of the separation issue, and I think it wold help the bass response as well.

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »
yeah im thinkin i may try spreading the omnis and running a bit higher, will cause less seperation for sure, and probably get more bass if im above the guitar cab. also...thoughts on omnis spread, i know it doesnt matter in theory but: facing forwards, or NOS style?

thanks to all whove pitched in +ts

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 08:36:42 PM »
I've always found that I get more bass in my stage tapes the *lower* I run my stand.

without seeing your stage setup in person it's hard to say if it will work for you but it's something to consider. I've always noticed this no matter the stage setup or band...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »
hmm, interesting....did the diagram do any good in helping you understand the set up? anyone else have thoughts on this lower instead of higher idea?

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 11:19:18 PM »
is the guitar amp up on a stand? is it kicked back on legs at an angle? What about the bass amp, is it just 1 15" or is it a 4x10" or some combination of the two?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com