Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should i upgrade my rig?  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Normsreality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Hayes Carll...busted my taping cherry!
Re: Should i upgrade my rig?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 08:19:34 PM »
I am picking up a pair of C4's from The Great Gumbino, an Oade digi-mod UA5 from Doliam, and I plucked the JB3 off of ebay. I'm also getting a 12' mic stand + vert bar from Kindguy. Now I've got to get some cables, I know Ray is selling some, but since I plan to run the mics at the full 12' every now and again I'll need some a bit longer.

all very wise moves, especially for a newbie. good work!

Probably just pick up some Monster cables for now (don't flame me) learn to use all of this stuff then upgrade them to the good stuff.

not so wise. (and your strategy was working so well!) if you have to buy new, get them from one of the guys here like Ed at kindkables.com. a 15' pair of beautiful xlr>xlr cables is $78 shipped. Your choice of colors. support the grass roots entrepreneurs! you'll feel better, really.

Forget those Monster cables, TheGreatGumbino is hooking me up with a pair of 20' canare starquads, as well as a pair of at841 shockmounts....problem solved.
Studio Projects C4s or Behringer B2 Pros>Canare Star Quads>Oade digi-mod UA5>optical>JB3/lappy

Offline Aaron41

• Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:10 AM »
I'm almost the exact same as the original poster. I plan on starting to make better open taping tapes. I'm hitting Willy Porter at a local Elks club (which sounds crazy to me but he IS playing the) and want to use it to try out new gear.

I also plan on covering DMB this winter and into the future. I know a Michigan date is finally going to happen... I can feel it.

I'm currently running AT831s > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3 and running the mics in my hat for open and stealth shows. I'm liking the results but I'd like something more impressive sounding for my open taping shows. I'm currently listening an awesome DMB tape recorded with Studio Projects C4 (thanks Brian Price if you are reading) and love the sound of it. I researched them a bit and they are definitely in the price range I'm after.

I'm getting a mic stand, a T-bar, and those mics sometime soon. I'm willing to put about an additional $200 into my set-up after those purchases. A LOT of people recommend the UA-5. Is it really worth the money? Would running the C4s into the SP-SPSB-1 be good enough or is it night and day? I want a great set-up that I can run for years without having to upgrade. I don't have the cash to become a gear slut.  :D

Any help would be great. Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005, 11:25:23 AM »
ua-5 is a great low cost option.  the c4's need phantom power so you wouldn't be able to run them directly into the batt box.  ua-5 will provide phantom.  You can usually find a used digi-mod ua-5 for around $250
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »
ua-5 is a great low cost option.  the c4's need phantom power so you wouldn't be able to run them directly into the batt box.  ua-5 will provide phantom.  You can usually find a used digi-mod ua-5 for around $250

or seriously scour ebay, I grabbed one to toy with for $95.  and did the digimod myself, simple stuff.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com