Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is breaking down RUDE?  (Read 7273 times)

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: Is breaking down RUDE?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »
hell ill break down during a band if the set is bad enough.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »

It sucks that open tapers have their big rigs with light stands and clamps and all that jazz.  Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

I'm not saying that it's right, but it sure does suck.  This is why stealthing is nice even in non-stealth situations.

Fake Edit: As a sidenote, I wanted to put in a ninja smiley or a "stealth taper" smiley but there isn't one.  Then I realized this board has virtually no smileys related to taping.  What's up with that.  How am I supposed to create entire posts using only emoticons if I have no 16 x 16 gif that says "Hey, I stealth!"

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 01:41:46 PM »
i did it once because my friend's band was opening, and they got me in for free. then i guess the 'headliner' found out about it, and wanted me to pay to stay for his set. his dad or something came up to me and said that. i just said "oh ok" tore down and left.
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 01:54:53 PM »
honestly- the band is there to entertain- if they arent entertaining then leave.  most people arent looking at your stand and stuff anyways- they should be watching the band.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 02:41:05 PM »

Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

people leave a show early for many reasons, especially when multiple bands are playing, just becase the venue has decided to make one the headliner does not mean that's why everyone is there, i do agree that breaking down mid set is more noticeable, but there are many reasons one needs to leave. i don't think nearly as many people pay attention to the tapers as we may perceive either. the band may notice but I highly doubt they'll stop playing to ask why you are leaving, a good bit of the crowd is probably there just to drink and socialize anyways regardless of the band thats actually playing. my .02
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
people leave a show early for many reasons, especially when multiple bands are playing, just becase the venue has decided to make one the headliner does not mean that's why everyone is there, i do agree that breaking down mid set is more noticeable, but there are many reasons one needs to leave. i don't think nearly as many people pay attention to the tapers as we may perceive either. the band may notice but I highly doubt they'll stop playing to ask why you are leaving, a good bit of the crowd is probably there just to drink and socialize anyways regardless of the band thats actually playing. my .02

No I agree with you for the most part.  It's not like everyone is there to see the tapers record the show.  I'm just saying it's a lot more noticable to see a guy taking down a 12' light stand than it is to see some guy just walk out.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »
It sucks that open tapers have their big rigs with light stands and clamps and all that jazz.  Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

I'm not saying that it's right, but it sure does suck.  This is why stealthing is nice even in non-stealth situations.

Is this post serious or I am not getting the sarcasm?   

Breaking down mid set says that I don't want to be there anymore.  If someone thinks a band sucks because I don't want to tape then they need to decide why they are there themselves.   Why does it suck that I break down and leave in the middle of someone's set?  Seems to me the only thing that sucks is that you had to see half a set of a bad band to decide you don't like them.  I mean who gives a shit if a taper is there or not, ya know?  If the band takes an ego hit because a taper leaves then they obviously are not cut out for the music business.

And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?  (gewwang and leegeddy where are you) 

Also if some guys dad comes up to me and tells me I have to pay after already being on the guest list he had better hope I don't stick my stand up his ass.   

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:31 PM »
And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?

Because sometimes the section is located in an audibly crappy part of the venue and the best place to get a good tape is on the floor.

Not trying to start an argument or anything.  My earlier comments were, for the most part, not meant in 100% grave seriousness.

Let's all have a +T and agree that it sucks to sit through a shitty band.

EDIT: VVV If nothing else, it's usually a heckuva lot less gear to manage (well, it CAN be).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 03:19:58 PM by mojomonkee »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?  (gewwang and leegeddy where are you) 

I love stealthing, and I do so much more often than open, even if I can open tape.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:56 PM »
if anyone says anything just say "these guys suck and don't bring in any money on ebay!"

i'm JOKING OF COURSE, i don't promote the selling of any recordings
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »
I see no problem with it... In my opinion there's no point taping a band that I'll never listen to again... unless they want to pay me.

just run your own stand... I've had people clamped on to my stand decide to leave in the middle of the set... I didn't think that was very cool to be breaking down mid-set and possibly messing up my recording in the process.

I agree.  And if you are clamped to my stand, you will stay that way until set break.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 11:07:21 PM »
I've had to do this A LOT.  Most of the venues I tape in are an hour from my home, and there's 3-4 bands a night.  Lots of various reasons I've had to leave, but my most valued technique in these cases is to close/velcro the flap covering my Porta-Brace bag, quickly lower the stand and pick it up all in one motion, and get the hell out of dodge, mics still on stand.  I get outside the venue or to the car to do the actual tearing-down.  If it takes five seconds to split there's no time for anyone to give you grief :)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 11:08:59 PM »
I see no problem with it... In my opinion there's no point taping a band that I'll never listen to again... unless they want to pay me.

just run your own stand... I've had people clamped on to my stand decide to leave in the middle of the set... I didn't think that was very cool to be breaking down mid-set and possibly messing up my recording in the process.

I agree.  And if you are clamped to my stand, you will stay that way until set break.

Exactly.  And back when I was able to give out patches, if you patch from me, there will be no unplugging of your cable while the music's going.  Only took screwing up one of my own recordings by screwing around with cables because a patcher wants to leave.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 01:05:50 PM »
I have broken down during sets when bands suck....I wouldnt recommend that....

so have i

it was during a kimock show
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »

Exactly.  And back when I was able to give out patches, if you patch from me, there will be no unplugging of your cable while the music's going.  Only took screwing up one of my own recordings by screwing around with cables because a patcher wants to leave.

I had a patcher pull his deck on me once and it caused my DA-P1 to lock up....PITA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:40:12 PM by ethan »
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com